Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 0:02 Quote
British winter tyre choices? Im in the south east of the UK and it is mostly sand and mud - it has rained so much lately. Im currently running dhf and aggressor and cant decide if I should go dhr2 or shorty or something different...

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 0:14 Quote
Nickwalker99 wrote:
British winter tyre choices? Im in the south east of the UK and it is mostly sand and mud - it has rained so much lately. Im currently running dhf and aggressor and cant decide if I should go dhr2 or shorty or something different...

I live in the southeast as well.

DHR2 rear is really good in the wet. Front you could go for another DHR2, a DHF, an Assegai or a Shorty.

Shorty is definitely the most grip but it's hideously slow. Can be worth it in really shit conditions though. The other 3 the side knobs are almost identical and it's the centre knobs that change.

Easiest and cheapest is probably chuck a DHR2 in the back and keep your DHF up front. Alternatively you could change the front as well for one of the others mentioned.

Another option is the Michelin wild enduros. I tried those at a demo day and rated them instantly.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 3:07 Quote
Magic Mary does it for me up front. My mates who have the new michelins are stoked on them. The new Vigilante is another option, the Verdict is probably worth a look too.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 4:05 Quote
Yea I think I will go DHR2 and see how I go with the DHF in the slop! Next question is 3C or not? Also EXO or EXO plus? My current rear tyre is exo and while it hasn't punctured it has got a lot of scrapes

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
For the casing I think it depends on how much you actually pedal your bike.

If you go on XC/trail rides and/or pedal up most of the time when you ride gravity the EXO is likely a good option - worth having a slightly less durable tire for the weight savings IMO.

If you rarely ride XC/trail and push up a lot then EXO+ or DD is probably better.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
I really like 3c max grip for the wet season they hold quite a bit better on rocks and roots

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
Cheers Tom. Think I'll go EXO for Surrey Alps! I'll give the 3C a go for the extra grip on roots!

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
Nice one. I'll be out in Surrey's finest tomorrow myself, Peaslake area Salute

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 14:22 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I really like 3c max grip for the wet season they hold quite a bit better on rocks and roots

Agreed. The Maxx grip compund is freaking rad. Grips like mad but still rolls good enough.

New wtb vigilante is up there too. I find that all newer wtb tires do not last nearly as long as the old stuff though....

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
Maxx grip is so much better, wears out in a couple of weeks for me though..so strictly wet for wet use!

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
I asked mark weir about this exact thing. He said there just is not enough room to get everything in one leg that modern forks have.

An interesting take from a guy who would know. That being said Avalanche is doing a hybrid coil over damper setup in one leg (with air in the rain other), so maybe a coil (in the Lefty) would simplify things. I owned a Lefty briefly and my only recollection of it was the spring not being ideal for my weight and the damper not doing much.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
Avalanche is garbage, definitely wouldn't use whatever trash they're on as a point of reference for anything but what not to do.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Avalanche is garbage, definitely wouldn't use whatever trash they're on as a point of reference for anything but what not to do.

i think youre the only person ive ever heard have a negative opinion of avalanche.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
sosburn wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

i think youre the only person ive ever heard have a negative opinion of avalanche.
well make it two.

Open bath dampers died out for a reason. Why would anyone pay money for outdated tech?

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Including their rear shock mods?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.068055
Mobile Version of Website