Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I agree mips is a load of bullshit but some guy on here said he pushed his head hard into the floor wearing a normal helmet to see if it would slide on his hair when he rotated and moved around and he said it felt kinda stuck to his head, that when pressure was applied the helmet couldn’t slip around.

makes sense considering that in a crash where a helmet would provide protection (over 10-15 mph), the foam padding inside the helmet isn't going to just slide around on your hair when compressed

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
Well there’s literally no reason to avoid helmets with mips, especially since pretty much any nice helmet is only offered with it at this point, why would you limit yourself to low budget helmets. If a helmet doesn’t fit you its not because of the mips inside it, look at a different brand/ model of helmet.

At least based on my experience in the ski industry helmet manufacturers generally account for mips when incorporating it into the helmet, aka they make the helmet a couple mm bigger so that the fit should be the same between the mips and the non mips ones.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
I think a few helmet manufacturers initially added it in without making significant enough space. Bell was pretty bad if I remember correctly. Hopefully newer helmets fit better.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I think a few helmet manufacturers initially added it in without making significant enough space. Bell was pretty bad if I remember correctly. Hopefully newer helmets fit better.

Never worn bell helmets since they don’t fit my shape head very well, but if thats so then yes complain away cause it would definitely change the fit significantly if un accounted for.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
theweaz wrote:
Well there’s literally no reason to avoid helmets with mips, especially since pretty much any nice helmet is only offered with it at this point, why would you limit yourself to low budget helmets. If a helmet doesn’t fit you its not because of the mips inside it, look at a different brand/ model of helmet.

At least based on my experience in the ski industry helmet manufacturers generally account for mips when incorporating it into the helmet, aka they make the helmet a couple mm bigger so that the fit should be the same between the mips and the non mips ones.
I don't think anyone would say to not buy a mips helmet.

Buy a helmet because you like the fit, venting, and whatever other features. If it has mips, cool. If it doesn't have mips, cool.

That said, if you're shooting for max safety, there are other designs that are better at achieving what mips claims to do. Such as the Fluid Inside on the rampage pro, Leatt's 360 turbine, Kali's LDL, and POC's Spin. (As well as a few I'm sure I've missed)

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 22:40 Quote
Who here had a good source for learning about reshimming a rebound stack?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Virginia Tech tests helmets. Not every helmet has been tested. But I think the takeaway is that MIPS helmets perform better in their safety test.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

Can't think of anything specific to rebound shim tuning/learing, but I will say, specifically regarding bicycle suspension, messing with the rebound shim stack is super touchy!

+/- one shim, or just a few mil thickness change of a couple shims, the rebound can go from too fast to too slow, or vise versa.

What specific shock and what are you after?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
thuren wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Can't think of anything specific to rebound shim tuning/learing, but I will say, specifically regarding bicycle suspension, messing with the rebound shim stack is super touchy!

+/- one shim, or just a few mil thickness change of a couple shims, the rebound can go from too fast to too slow, or vise versa.

I have an rv1 hlr on my dh bike. The rebound adjustment does nothing until the last 4 clicks. I want to get the current almost as slow as it goes to be about half way through the adjustment range and I would like a tighter resolution aswell.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
thuren wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I have an rv1 hlr on my dh bike. The rebound adjustment does nothing until the last 4 clicks. I want to get the current almost as slow as it goes to be about half way through the adjustment range and I would like a tighter resolution aswell.

Ahhh on the fork... Hard call there I have not been inside one of those, and not sure how adjustable the midvalve is.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

Rebound adjusters usually work on the low-speed, which is typically a bleed orifice controlled by a needle valve. Changing the shims may not have the effect you anticipate.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
thuren wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

you should ask ye olde Steve at Vorsprungg

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
sosburn wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
thuren wrote:

you should ask ye olde Steve at Vorsprungg
I think I'll need to build a new mid shaft, slightly longer I think.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
Did it boys and girl. Turbo Levo is on its way.

No ragrats.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Did it boys and girl. Turbo Levo is on its way.

No ragrats.

No Evo Kenevo?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023845
Mobile Version of Website