Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I want an e-bike for the morning commute, kid hauling, grocery runs, that kind of thing. Been thinking of adding a conversion to my old retrobike.

I already have a Robert axle on order and a Bob trailer to haul the chainsaw and trail building tools. Carrying tools 5+ miles to where they need to be used sucks.. Ebike and trailer is going to make it much easier.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I am curious what a modern DH bike feels like on real DH terrain though

Incredible*

*if you are riding at warp 10, or the kind of steep you might abseil down. Drop below that and they are heavy, slow, sluggish, lumpen and massively over damped. A sorted enduro bike is much better. I won’t own another DH bike, but I will rent one if required (it rarely is now)

I’ve a few bikes, but they a different enough that it’s a clear choice what to ride, but just enough overlap to cover any downtime.

Road bike > gravel bike > rigid 29er/fatbike > 100/120mm XC bike > 125/140mm trail bike > 160/180mm enduro bike.

And a 135/140mm ebike for when I’m injured or not feeling it...

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
I got an ebike for daily commuting and grocery getting. So far I'm digging it. 350w Evo FireRidge.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Have a 160mm enduro, 130mm hardtail that will runs 27.5 x 4 or 29 x 2.6 and a cyclocross rig for road, gravel and commuting. Find this covers most of my interests nicely! Would maybe add a bmx but I don't get enough time to ride as it is!

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
fredro wrote:
But N+1

2N has it positives...

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
macross87 wrote:
fredro wrote:
But N+1

2N has it positives...

Double the bikes you have? I’m down, but the wife might notice...

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
I can't wait till they make full-suspension e-bikes that a reasonably priced. One of those Trailcraft Maxwell or Commencal Clash 20 with ebike motor would be awesome.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I want an e-bike for the morning commute, kid hauling, grocery runs, that kind of thing. Been thinking of adding a conversion to my old retrobike.

I already have a Robert axle on order and a Bob trailer to haul the chainsaw and trail building tools. Carrying tools 5+ miles to where they need to be used sucks.. Ebike and trailer is going to make it much easier.

Did you get the axle you needed from QBP? I have had a Ebike for almost a year. Its bitchin. Raleigh Lore with surly fork and huge basket on the front. So fun to get a little buzz going and then go hill climb steep bum trails!

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Did you get the axle you needed from QBP? I have had a Ebike for almost a year. Its bitchin. Raleigh Lore with surly fork and huge basket on the front. So fun to get a little buzz going and then go hill climb steep bum trails!

Yep.. It's on our Q order for next week.. We have a few Fatbikes that trail guys are pulling Bob trailers with for building.. But ebike would be really nice to pull the big 441 chainsaw up the hill instead of shouldering it up the hill.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Yep.. It's on our Q order for next week.. We have a few Fatbikes that trail guys are pulling Bob trailers with for building.. But ebike would be really nice to pull the big 441 chainsaw up the hill instead of shouldering it up the hill.

Nice. I took position with Robert Axle this last January. Its been a fun transition. Crazy how many axles we sell. I had no idea how many people use trailers as I had not really used them. haha

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:

Nice. I took position with Robert Axle this last January. Its been a fun transition. Crazy how many axles we sell. I had no idea how many people use trailers as I had not really used them. haha

We have done a few for the trailers. They work well..

we have one of the kits for through axle road bikes to put in the trainers too!

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Incredible*

*if you are riding at warp 10, or the kind of steep you might abseil down. Drop below that and they are heavy, slow, sluggish, lumpen and massively over damped. A sorted enduro bike is much better. I won’t own another DH bike, but I will rent one if required (it rarely is now)
The other weekend I rented a Session at Bike Park Wales, mostly to see if a full DH bike would be kinder to my iffy knee over a day compared to my Patrol (which it did).

But for the first run I rode one of the flowy blue trails just to get used to brakes/tyres and to see how much grip the soaking wet ground was offering up. And you know what? I found it an absolute blast, even on a trail that arguably you don't need more than a hardtail for.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 14:18 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Incredible*

The other weekend I rented a Session at Bike Park Wales, mostly to see if a full DH bike would be kinder to my iffy knee over a day compared to my Patrol (which it did).

But for the first run I rode one of the flowy blue trails just to get used to brakes/tyres and to see how much grip the soaking wet ground was offering up. And you know what? I found it an absolute blast, even on a trail that arguably you don't need more than a hardtail for.

This year I have only really had the Hardtail 29er and the DH bike running.. And those are the only 2 bikes of mine I have really ridden this summer aside from the DJ bike.

And in fact I have ridden all the black trails at the local resort on the hardtail a few times this year.. Trails that I have ridden on both the 130mm hardtail and the DH bike were fun both ways. The Hardtail is a lesson in line choice and proper brake techniques. And it's certainly slower. The DH bike you are going 2x as fast. But it's also gnarly because you are riding that same tech at twice the speed.. Both super fun.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 2:28 Quote
I was definitely one of the people who was all aboard the "you don't need a DH bike in he UK" train a few years ago - once bikes like the mega and the capra were widely available DH bike just seemed impractical.

As time progresses though I'm starting to lean back towards the idea of having a shorter travel trail/enduro rig and then a DH bike as a second bike. Although you CAN ride everything on an enduro bike they don't tend to cope so well with continued abuse and by the time you've fit a durable build kit, set your suspension up buttery and fitted DH casing tires (not winning the weight game) enduro bikes really don't pedal all that well - not a fun bike to ride all day or the perfect all-rounder any more.

This assume though that you're actually going to bike parks and riding difficult stuff. For lots of places you can definitely just have one bike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 5:47 Quote
how's the question of weight game doing these days

e bikes are quite likely loosing it

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026309
Mobile Version of Website