Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 22:32 Quote
zeeman wrote:
Pretty sure downhill and enduro racers will start to experiment with 29" rear, 30" front, as soon as a tire and rim manufacturer supports it. It is the logical extension of the success of mullet bikes. Perhaps someone already has pointed this out.
31.5" seems a bit much?

It's interesting to ponder about bigger wheels.. Like we all know that 29ers were gangly and didn't handle that well in their first iterations, but that's all generally figured out now.. Can we take the things we know about that progression and apply it towards even bigger wheels, or have we reached the relative crossroads of speed and handling traits?

Being 6'3. I would be interested in trying a 36" out... There was a furax dh bike that had a custom rear end built and ran a Dorado with 36" unicycle hoops laced in.. My manager has the exact furax DH bike and I have been trying to talk him into it for years..

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
That's a big jump, plenty of middle ground there

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 3:10 Quote
zeeman wrote:

I know.. But 36" rims and tires actually existed, so that's what made sense. I don't remember there being 32" stuff really available when I saw this year's ago.. I agree that 32" makes more sense.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
zeeman wrote:

I know.. But 36" rims and tires actually existed, so that's what made sense. I don't remember there being 32" stuff really available when I saw this year's ago.. I agree that 32" makes more sense.

Kent made a 32" cruiser so 32 can be doable

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
zeeman wrote:
Pretty sure downhill and enduro racers will start to experiment with 29" rear, 30" front, as soon as a tire and rim manufacturer supports it. It is the logical extension of the success of mullet bikes. Perhaps someone already has pointed this out.
31.5" seems a bit much?

It's interesting to ponder about bigger wheels.. Like we all know that 29ers were gangly and didn't handle that well in their first iterations, but that's all generally figured out now.. Can we take the things we know about that progression and apply it towards even bigger wheels, or have we reached the relative crossroads of speed and handling traits?

Being 6'3. I would be interested in trying a 36" out... There was a furax dh bike that had a custom rear end built and ran a Dorado with 36" unicycle hoops laced in.. My manager has the exact furax DH bike and I have been trying to talk him into it for years..

29r still drive like a boat. I hop on my old 26” and it can pick tight lines where I have to rely on 29r to roll over.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Graham Agassiz

Aggy's ride for Rampage...

Rampageduro? Endurampage? Aand it has space for a bottle cage

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
zeeman wrote:

Kent made a 32" cruiser so 32 can be doable

That's actually how the first few 32" unicycles were built.. They bought those cruisers and unlaced the hoops and replaced them to the uni hubs.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
someone find a 32" offroad tire and ill try it

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Graham Agassiz

Aggy's ride for Rampage...

its crazy how much they can do with that frame.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
ktm87 wrote:

I legitimately think that you will have to do a 36". The only 32" tires I have seen are cruiser style or slicks.. For 36" stuff you use the Nimbus unicycle stuff.. And Vee actually makes a offroad 36" tire.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ktm87 wrote:

I legitimately think that you will have to do a 36". The only 32" tires I have seen are cruiser style or slicks.. For 36" stuff you use the Nimbus unicycle stuff.. And Vee actually makes a offroad 36" tire.

i think 36 is just way to big of a jump. even 32 i think is too much. 30.5 would prob be best for next size up but im not gonna be the one to bring a new wheel size standard to market

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Hoops and tires bud.. Unless you're going to machine new hoops for yourself. Lol

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
SileTzar wrote:

Should totally do Rampage with a water bottle.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Hoops and tires bud.. Unless you're going to machine new hoops for yourself. Lol

yea you can find 32 and 36 hoop but not 30.5 is what i was trying to say. id pick up a 32 hoop and lace it up to give it a shot if there was a tire available. might be able to somewhere take 2 29 tires and merge them into one 32 somehow

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

yea you can find 32 and 36 hoop but not 30.5 is what i was trying to say. id pick up a 32 hoop and lace it up to give it a shot if there was a tire available. might be able to somewhere take 2 29 tires and merge them into one 32 somehow

I have a sewing machine and took home ec class.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.039412
Mobile Version of Website