Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
In terms of fitness, an e-bike can help build muscle and strength in a lot of places besides lungs and legs.

Despite what many would think, kids don't really hit peak performance until their in their teens, especially in terms of strength. I think the benefit of an e-bike for ahem "weaker" riders is that it builds confidence, strength and skill for terrain and moves that would be impossible if you were winded or didn't have the strength to turn the cranks. Kids typically have good power to weight, but not much endurance. I know kids who can do pull or push ups all day long, but struggle to lift a 30lbs barbell. Who can play tag 30 minutes straight, but can't run a mile. A 20lbs bike to a 60lbs (average 9-10 year old) kid is like a 180lbs adult riding a 60lb bike. The extra boost of the battery certainly helps.

I know for myself personally, my skills are often limited by my endurance. When I can barely breath, the technical moves are really really hard, compared to later in the season when I'm back in shape (relative) again and those moves are no big deal.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
On a completely unrelated subject, I won the random draw prize in the last enduro Fantasy round. It was a commuter style backpack. Shimano just contacted me saying they were out of stock and told me to pick any pedal in their lineup instead. Got a set of clipless xtr trail pedals on the way. They look pretty nice. Anyone tried them?

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
No amount of hate could stop the inevitable, human powered uphill travel is really hard and taking it out of the equation gets a lot more people out there riding.

I came to mtb from moto background so it doesn't do it for me. If I had been pedalling bikes uphill my entire life though, I would have probably bit the E-bullet by now.

I also shuttle, which is just Ebiking with extra steps. Im on the bandwagon again, just the grins from the tubby dudes passing me on climbs gets on my nerves sometimes, lol.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
PHeller wrote:
In terms of fitness, an e-bike can help build muscle and strength in a lot of places besides lungs and legs.

Despite what many would think, kids don't really hit peak performance until their in their teens, especially in terms of strength. I think the benefit of an e-bike for ahem "weaker" riders is that it builds confidence, strength and skill for terrain and moves that would be impossible if you were winded or didn't have the strength to turn the cranks. Kids typically have good power to weight, but not much endurance. I know kids who can do pull or push ups all day long, but struggle to lift a 30lbs barbell. Who can play tag 30 minutes straight, but can't run a mile. A 20lbs bike to a 60lbs (average 9-10 year old) kid is like a 180lbs adult riding a 60lb bike. The extra boost of the battery certainly helps.

I know for myself personally, my skills are often limited by my endurance. When I can barely breath, the technical moves are really really hard, compared to later in the season when I'm back in shape (relative) again and those moves are no big deal.
You sound just like me. I think an ebike is going to be in my future very soon.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 15:48 Quote
I'm going to hold off on an ebike for myself and put that money into one for the wife and kid.

At this point I've got a lot of money to spend on a new house so it'll be awhile for everything else anyways.

My Trail Pistol is enough.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I'm going to hold off on an ebike for myself and put that money into one for the wife and kid.

At this point I've got a lot of money to spend on a new house so it'll be awhile for everything else anyways.

Is it bad that my wife and I's bikes more or less were rolled into my new mortgage? Haha

But building a secondary living space at the house that will +100k in equity, so rolling a few thousand into the mortgage and putting that money towards the construction for a year or so before I refi isn't the end of the world.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
tom666 wrote:
What do people think about Box's 9 speed drivetrains?

11-50t range with only 9 gears.

Anybody got time on one?

Bump.
Anyone?

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 17:46 Quote
Client9 wrote:
tom666 wrote:

Anybody got time on one?

Bump.
Anyone?

I would,like to try

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Is it bad that my wife and I's bikes more or less were rolled into my new mortgage? Haha

But building a secondary living space at the house that will +100k in equity, so rolling a few thousand into the mortgage and putting that money towards the construction for a year or so before I refi isn't the end of the world.
I just bought my first house and was getting a little tight on cash for closing so I sold my Bronson. After escrow closes on November 6th its new bike day for me. I’ve pretty much decided on the transition patrol. I kept my sc reserve wheels. 4k for the carbon frame, dhx2, and 36 performance elite. Gx dt with xo1 cranks, code rsc, and of course my fav renthal cockpit.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

I just bought my first house and was getting a little tight on cash for closing so I sold my Bronson. After escrow closes on November 6th its new bike day for me. I’ve pretty much decided on the transition patrol. I kept my sc reserve wheels. 4k for the carbon frame, dhx2, and 36 performance elite. Gx dt with xo1 cranks, code rsc, and of course my fav renthal cockpit.

Sucks to have to sell the bike, but sounds like it made you swap out rides!

I spent the money for the 2 ebikes for wife and I, but I am also trying to rebuild my Carbon enduro. Trying to stretch a bike shop wrench salery a long ways to get the bikes all dialed.. Been selling off other projects and toys to make it happen.

I am trying not to just order a 2nd DVO Onyx for the front of the Levo as I think the Revelation will be under guned for the 47lb bike with my 220lbs riding it hard.. Or maybe just pirate the Onyx for a while until I actually need the Enduro put together.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Client9 wrote:
tom666 wrote:

Anybody got time on one?

Bump.
Anyone?

I cant order it yet from work... Looks awesome though for the price!

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I spent the money for the 2 ebikes for wife and I, but I am also trying to rebuild my Carbon enduro. Trying to stretch a bike shop wrench salery a long ways to get the bikes all dialed.. Been selling off other projects and toys to make it happen.

I am trying not to just order a 2nd DVO Onyx for the front of the Levo as I think the Revelation will be under guned for the 47lb bike with my 220lbs riding it hard.. Or maybe just pirate the Onyx for a while until I actually need the Enduro put together.
Don’t discredit the Mezzer plus Manitou’s ep is much better.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
Gym time over ebike time if you really want to get stronger on the bike.

Squats and deadlifts.

But you can't buy that so people gonna buy the ebike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 20:34 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
Gym time over ebike time if you really want to get stronger on the bike.

Squats and deadlifts.

But you can't buy that so people gonna buy the ebike.

If you've read the last few pages on people's opinions regarding ebikes, you'd realize this post is completely irrelevant. People aren't riding ebikes because their fitness isn't there, they're often doing it as they don't have enough time in the day. Given going to the gym takes up even more time, how the hell does that help me slot a quick ride before work?

The whole "people are lazy so they buy ebikes" thing has been old stick for a while. Can it die?

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
dchill wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Don’t discredit the Mezzer plus Manitou’s ep is much better.

Haven't looked at the Mezzer EP yet. It was on the list of possibilities, but the bike has green on it.. And has a topaz.. So onyx was what made sense. And EP on the DVO is pretty baller too.

I'll look at the manipoo tomorrow. I know dudes have liked the new ones.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024307
Mobile Version of Website