Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
dingus wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
sosburn wrote:

its like an argument with bblb but about a topic that no one else would argue about

Axxe models himself after BBLB but does a poor imitation.

He's the Bud Lite bblb.

WTH is just Bud Lite.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
Entertaining.

Carry on....

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
dingus wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Axxe models himself after BBLB but does a poor imitation.

He's the Bud Lite bblb.

WTH is just Bud Lite.

It's ironic because WTH is anything but light.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
dingus wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
dingus wrote:

He's the Bud Lite bblb.

WTH is just Bud Lite.

It's ironic because WTH is anything but light.

Whip

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Not everyone who disagrees with you is "triggered".

But you and others here are.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
No, I'm not. I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in what you say. Now that your original point has been disputed by seemingly everyone, you fall back to trying to provoke and to distract from the original subject. Not the first time you've tried this. No one's taking the bait and you're going to look even more petty if you keep trying, so just stop.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 23:04 Quote
RMR.. (and the hive mind)

I already know what you are going to tell me since we figured this out for my Enduro already....

But I am overriding the Rockshox Deluxe that came on my turbo Levo. 47lb bike plus my 215lbs and aggressive riding leave the shock (and the fork) are under gunned. I have a DVO Onyx on its way for it and am trying to sort out what to do for a shock. I assume the correct answer is a topaz like it was on the Enduro.

I see so many people running coils on their Levos, but they also are the guys who spend way too much money to not ride the bike hard. They probably never see the end of their shock stroke to even worry about needing ramp up or end stroke support.

The Turbo Levo going to be just like the enduro and need a position sensitive coil or hydraulic bottom out to behave for an aggressive rider? Or better yet just stick to a Topaz like I know?

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 4:42 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I already know what you are going to tell me since we figured this out for my Enduro already....

But I am overriding the Rockshox Deluxe that came on my turbo Levo. 47lb bike plus my 215lbs and aggressive riding leave the shock (and the fork) are under gunned. I have a DVO Onyx on its way for it and am trying to sort out what to do for a shock. I assume the correct answer is a topaz like it was on the Enduro.

I see so many people running coils on their Levos, but they also are the guys who spend way too much money to not ride the bike hard. They probably never see the end of their shock stroke to even worry about needing ramp up or end stroke support.

The Turbo Levo going to be just like the enduro and need a position sensitive coil or hydraulic bottom out to behave for an aggressive rider? Or better yet just stick to a Topaz like I know?

What does your shock have for volume spacers?

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

What does your shock have for volume spacers?

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 5:08 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

You need more support from the shock. Obviously. So let's work through how to get it:

Spring:
• Higher overall rate via more positive spring pressure or a stiff coil. This will reduce sag.
• More bottom-out resistance via spacers or progressive coil. This won't affect sag.

Damper:
• Firmer tune.

The problem with addressing this via only the spring is the energy isn't being dissipated. Springs store the energy, so your high-speed rebound is going to feel faster (assuming it's not adjustable) and your low-speed rebound will have to handle most of this energy. i.e. Solving this via the spring may keep you from bottoming out, but it won't properly address chassis control.

The best solution is to address it via the damper or a combination of damper & spring. A high leverage bike, like a Specialized, with a large, hard-charging rider needs a very firm damper tune; an off-the-shelf Mid-Mid isn't likely to have the support you need.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
So. I'm thinking about getting a new bike. My nomad is back in Australia, don't own a car here, and the XC bike I have here to commute/ride trails with is pretty much entirely worn out (old GT Aggressor, it's not worth fixing up)
Thinking that a gravel bike seems like a good way to get around but still be able to ride some tamer trails. Everything is within riding distance in this town, so I ride everywhere. The usual ride to work also goes past some singletrack on the way.

What would you lot suggest I look at? The Nukeproof Digger looks very appealing. So does the Kona Rove.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

You need more support from the shock. Obviously. So let's work through how to get it:

Spring:
• Higher overall rate via more positive spring pressure or a stiff coil. This will reduce sag.
• More bottom-out resistance via spacers or progressive coil. This won't affect sag.

Damper:
• Firmer tune.

The problem with addressing this via only the spring is the energy isn't being dissipated. Springs store the energy, so your high-speed rebound is going to feel faster (assuming it's not adjustable) and your low-speed rebound will have to handle most of this energy. i.e. Solving this via the spring may keep you from bottoming out, but it won't properly address chassis control.

The best solution is to address it via the damper or a combination of damper & spring. A high leverage bike, like a Specialized, with a large, hard-charging rider needs a very firm damper tune; an off-the-shelf Mid-Mid isn't likely to have the support you need.

Yep.. I was shoving spacers in my monarch on my Enduro and had to run pressure to the point where the bike was not supple at all. When I bought the topaz, I had talked to the guys the there and they said that they would change up the compression tune before they shipped it out and it behaved much better than the monarch.

I just have dreams of running a coil shock like all the other people, but I don't get how they are not having issues with end stroke support with the leverage rate of the Specialized bikes. Because I know I'd have to run the bike way over sprung or just accept that I'd be bottoming it out when I ride hard.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Yep.. I was shoving spacers in my monarch on my Enduro and had to run pressure to the point where the bike was not supple at all. When I bought the topaz, I had talked to the guys the there and they said that they would change up the compression tune before they shipped it out and it behaved much better than the monarch.

I just have dreams of running a coil shock like all the other people, but I don't get how they are not having issues with end stroke support with the leverage rate of the Specialized bikes. Because I know I'd have to run the bike way over sprung or just accept that I'd be bottoming it out when I ride hard.

You could run a coil. Some factors that would help:

Primary, which ought to be enough:
• Firm damper tune
• Spring rate that results in less sag, with no preload

Secondary:
• Progressive spring and/or longer bottom-out bumper
• Hydraulic bottom-out damper

The negative spring on the Monarch isn't ideal, so that was part of your problem. A better negative spring, like on the Topaz, Super Deluxe, or Fox with a Corset, will reduce your coil spring envy.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

You could run a coil. Some factors that would help:

Primary, which ought to be enough:
• Firm damper tune
• Spring rate that results in less sag, with no preload

Secondary:
• Progressive spring and/or longer bottom-out bumper
• Hydraulic bottom-out damper

Or position sensitive dampening too correct? I know that's what I played with heavily on my old 5th elements.

And a while back we discussed that the progressive springs were really not that progressive compared to a air spring. How much ramp up are we looking for?

I'd wonder about a progressive spring and a longer bumper combined and if that would allow me to run a more standard spring rate that would still stay somewhat supple in the beginning stroke.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 9:51 Quote
riish wrote:
So. I'm thinking about getting a new bike. My nomad is back in Australia, don't own a car here, and the XC bike I have here to commute/ride trails with is pretty much entirely worn out (old GT Aggressor, it's not worth fixing up)
Thinking that a gravel bike seems like a good way to get around but still be able to ride some tamer trails. Everything is within riding distance in this town, so I ride everywhere. The usual ride to work also goes past some singletrack on the way.

What would you lot suggest I look at? The Nukeproof Digger looks very appealing. So does the Kona Rove.

I am interested in this as well. I have an enduro bike but a ton of the longer distance rides around here require something gravel-y. SC stigmata and Ibis Hakka are sleek but i’ve heard that they are more on the racey side of cx/gravel bikes. Im not doing any bikepacking or anything, just want to be able to run big tires, probably a 1x, and do like 100+ mile rides

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.062931
Mobile Version of Website