Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
Pike and rev are same chassis, different damper. Same relationship as lyrik to yari.

To my knowledge the bit about wall thickness etc is correct!

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
New Revelation is a secret bargain. Especially the Charger RC model. Basically a Pike Select.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
PHeller wrote:
New Revelation is a secret bargain. Especially the Charger RC model. Basically a Pike Select.

Yeah. That's what this came with. And why I am thinking about keeping it for another project instead of selling it. At a minimum tossing a different air shaft in it and possibly the charger 2 as well.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Charger Revelation? I thought it had Motion Control? https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rvl-rc-a2

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
haha yea...that's what most people think.

Pro-Tip, some Revelations (mostly OEM) came with a simplified "Charger RC" damper that is either similar to or identical to the simplified damper in the Pike Select. So much so, that I believe SRAM has discontinued the Revelation Charger RC in favor of the Pike Select in OEM applications. The consumer will pay a little more for "Pike" than they will "Revelation" even if the internals are the same.

To be clear, there is a difference between the Revelation RC (Motion Control) and Revelation Charger RC (simplified Charger IFP-based Non-Bladder damper).

Again, the Relevation Charger RC, Pike Select, and Lyric Select are all using the same damper.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
I've just got a new bike and it came with Rockshox Gold 35 RL, I was wondering if I could fit a Charger 2 in them?

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
PHeller wrote:
haha yea...that's what most people think.

Pro-Tip, some Revelations (mostly OEM) came with a simplified "Charger RC" damper that is either similar to or identical to the simplified damper in the Pike Select. So much so, that I believe SRAM has discontinued the Revelation Charger RC in favor of the Pike Select in OEM applications. The consumer will pay a little more for "Pike" than they will "Revelation" even if the internals are the same.

To be clear, there is a difference between the Revelation RC (Motion Control) and Revelation Charger RC (simplified Charger IFP-based Non-Bladder damper).

Again, the Relevation Charger RC, Pike Select, and Lyric Select are all using the same damper.

Yep.. Everything he said. Here is the Revelation that came on my Levo. Debonair and Charger in the Revelation RC

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
Much like the GRIP damper and GRIP Sweep in the Fox/Marz products, this simplified IFP based Charger damper is pretty damn good. It lacks the tuning options of more advanced dampers, but for most riders, out of the box, it should suffice.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
Bought the Onyx SC for the enduro.. But since I am waiting for a shock and the frame isn't done in paint yet, figured I'd toss it on the Levo. 180mm is way to much fork for this bike, but man it is plush for an air fork. It definitely appears that they beefed up the OTT setup to play better with heavier riders.

Engage party mode. DVO Onyx SC.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Bought the Onyx SC for the enduro.. But since I am waiting for a shock and the frame isn't done in paint yet, figured I'd toss it on the Levo. 180mm is way to much fork for this bike, but man it is plush for an air fork. It definitely appears that they beefed up the OTT setup to play better with heavier riders.

1. That's hideous. Razz
2. Always nice to hear Fox & RockShox have real competition.
3. About damned time DVO firmed up the OTT. Hope they also offer alternate rates for those who need to change it. It was especially frustrating they wouldn't even provide the specs for the spring for folks who were willing to source their own.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

1. That's hideous. Razz
2. Always nice to hear Fox & RockShox have real competition.
3. About damned time DVO firmed up the OTT. Hope they also offer alternate rates for those who need to change it. It was especially frustrating they would've even provide the specs for the spring for folks who were willing to source their own.

It's definitely party mode.. Called DVO up to order a jade and they said to pump the brakes and wait for a bit.. They have a few Levos in house and are working on a solution specifically for this bike. So I guess I'll wait.

I am super sick and we just got snow. So probably won't ride this for a while. I'll probably pull it apart and lower it to at least 170 and probably 160 in the meantime.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 19:08 Quote
PHeller wrote:

My daughters new bike came with it and i like how it rides. Though a bit difficult to judge on a small for me bike, and obviously she needed a bit different setup after that. Would buy.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
High-end products are always a game of diminishing returns. Sometimes the lower-tier products really aren't good, so there's little alternative to paying top dollar - for example, dropper seatposts several years ago. Other times, there are cheaper products that are perfectly decent at a fraction of the cost. It's nice to see decent forks at reasonable prices.

Or how 'bout that Marin Rift Zone 3 at US$2650? If the X-Fusion Manic post holds up, that's a perfectly decent bike - great geometry, too - at a quarter the price of a fully posh build.

Totally getting off the topic of "Enduro/AM - The Weight Game" ... just had to give credit where it's due while we're discussing value.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
High-end products are always a game of diminishing returns. Sometimes the lower-tier products really aren't good, so there's little alternative to paying top dollar - for example, dropper seatposts several years ago. Other times, there are cheaper products that are perfectly decent at a fraction of the cost. It's nice to see decent forks at reasonable prices.

Or how 'bout that Marin Rift Zone 3 at US$2650? If the X-Fusion Manic post holds up, that's a perfectly decent bike - great geometry, too - at a quarter the price of a fully posh build.

Totally getting off the topic of "Enduro/AM - The Weight Game" ... just had to give credit where it's due while we're discussing value.

Yeah, those guys crushed it. For an extra $350, I’d still rather get a Ripmo AF. DW-Link, excellent customer service, DVO suspension, better rims, and no bullshit cassette. The Marin has a 12 speed Sunrace. It shifts ok but it’s not as good as full NX.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
Circe wrote:
Yeah, those guys crushed it. For an extra $350, I’d still rather get a Ripmo AF. DW-Link, excellent customer service, DVO suspension, better rims, and no bullshit cassette. The Marin has a 12 speed Sunrace. It shifts ok but it’s not as good as full NX.

Fair point. The Ripmo AF is properly nice bike and the NX version is a solid value. It's difficult to make an argument for anyone spending more than the SLX version at $4,000.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.065132
Mobile Version of Website