Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
dchill wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Nobody is going to ask you how you ride the bike for a warranty claim...

RF started asking people what bike they were putting G4's on as they were no longer an Enduro crank after the Next R was released, so it's not that outlandish to ask.

I think it's totally acceptable for a brand to ask how it's been ridden if the bike either looks beat the f*ck up or you have a catastrophic failure like a head tube ripping off. It should be within the brands rights to make sure the bike isn't used outside of it's intended purposes or completely abused. I'm all for supporting the warranty, but it's a slippery slope allowing warranties on products that are obviously heavily abused or used well outside of their intended purposes.
Clap speaking of Next. How reliable are the first gen Next cinch?

I have had a pair since they first came out. Zero issues.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
dchill wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Nobody is going to ask you how you ride the bike for a warranty claim...

RF started asking people what bike they were putting G4's on as they were no longer an Enduro crank after the Next R was released, so it's not that outlandish to ask.

I think it's totally acceptable for a brand to ask how it's been ridden if the bike either looks beat the f*ck up or you have a catastrophic failure like a head tube ripping off. It should be within the brands rights to make sure the bike isn't used outside of it's intended purposes or completely abused. I'm all for supporting the warranty, but it's a slippery slope allowing warranties on products that are obviously heavily abused or used well outside of their intended purposes.
Clap speaking of Next. How reliable are the first gen Next cinch?

The original Next CINCH (G3) had minor issues of pedal + spindle insert coming unbonded over time, but definitely plenty durable. G4's were the one's that they steered people away from if you're doing anything semi-burly with them.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
yet to try tallboi but given how nicely overbuilt and hi quality santa cruz seems to be, sure it could take a few hucks to flat

Broke a Nomad 4, rear end non drive side strut, off a drop. just snapped out under me. Nearly ended me, no warranty, straight to crash replacement. Though every other frame since the N4 has 2 struts...

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
rtclark wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:
yet to try tallboi but given how nicely overbuilt and hi quality santa cruz seems to be, sure it could take a few hucks to flat

Broke a Nomad 4, rear end non drive side strut, off a drop. just snapped out under me. Nearly ended me, no warranty, straight to crash replacement. Though every other frame since the N4 has 2 struts...
strut?

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Nobble wrote:
rtclark wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

strut?

the part of the swingarm that is vertical, not chainstay/seatstay.
kinda surprised they didnt warranty that, ive heard nothing but great things about the SC warranty guys.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Nobble wrote:
rtclark wrote:

strut?

kinda surprised they didnt warranty that, ive heard nothing but great things about the SC warranty guys.
ahhh...

I wouldn't have though to refer to it as a strut. It does seem odd that the Nomad is single sided there though.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
Nobble wrote:
sosburn wrote:
Nobble wrote:
strut?

ahhh...

I wouldn't have though to refer to it as a strut. It does seem odd that the Nomad is single sided there though.
I think there's no room to brace it on the drive side and have a chain ring.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Nobble wrote:
sosburn wrote:

ahhh...

I think there's no room to brace it on the drive side and have a chain ring.

Every other SC that utilizes that suspension layout uses a symmetrical rear triangle now.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 22:24 Quote
Even odder when you consider that they moved away from single sided triangles on the Bronson and 5010 but had a double sided triangle on the previous generation Nomad and decided to move to a single sided.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 23:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Even odder when you consider that they moved away from single sided triangles on the Bronson and 5010 but had a double sided triangle on the previous generation Nomad and decided to move to a single sided.
The shock channel and bb junction on the nomad is larger then the Bronson and the like, i think we might see nomad 5 soon. This isn't the first rear end failure I've heard of.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
Question:

Do you think it is necessity that a frame clears a chainring all the way down to 28t or even 26t?

If you can run a 30t is that small enough?

I barely know anybody runs a 30t and I don't believe I know anybody who runs a 28 or 26 - but then we don't really have mountains in the South of England. With the way drivetrains are going (big old 48-51t rings out back) I can't see that too many people are going to run smaller than 30t.

Thoughts?

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Question:

Do you think it is necessity that a frame clears a chainring all the way down to 28t or even 26t?

If you can run a 30t is that small enough?

I barely know anybody runs a 30t and I don't believe I know anybody who runs a 28 or 26 - but then we don't really have mountains in the South of England. With the way drivetrains are going (big old 48-51t rings out back) I can't see that too many people are going to run smaller than 30t.

Thoughts?

For new boutique frames, unless it’s a Fatbike, there’s no need for down to a 28t. With the massive rear spreads you can get now, there’s not the need for the front cog to go so low. I think the mainstream brands have to have clearance for mini cogs as there’s outliers that’ll need super low gearing.

We’ve got big dog climbs here and I’m on a 32 front 9-47 rear, but I’m rarely in the 47.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
Nah, 30t as minimum, with Shimano getting their shit together finally and sram doing 50t as standard for a while.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
28 makes sense with a 10-42 cassette (11 speed).

Reliable, cheap, light, enough range for most of us, even in steep areas.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
I run a 28T with my 9-46T cassette. A friend of mine runs 24T with his old 11-40 cassette. Personally, I won't buy a bike that can't clear 28T - and I strongly prefer if it can clear 28T non-Boost on a Boost drivetrain.

Some places have larger climbs than Hampshire. Wink

Another way to look at the argument of "Why do you need such a small ring when cassettes have so much range?":

Most folks have a top ratio of 32:10 or 34:10. How often do you spin out your top ratio? Most people I know rarely go beyond their 16T sprocket, leaving at least three sprockets in mint condition while they wear out their 50T and 42T. Instead of suffering in first gear on tough climbs and never touching the 10T, why not make the full cassette useful and have a super low gear for when you really need it?

Additional benefits:

• I've ditched my bash guard, now that my ring is so small. Another cost and weight reduction.
• A steel 28T ring is a lot lighter than a steel 32T or 34T and is more durable than an aluminum 34T.

Active Forum Threads
1 mins ago - 2019 Stumpjumper Evo
3 mins ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
1 hours ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
2 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
2 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
3 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
3 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
3 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
5 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
5 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
5 hours ago - Post your Propain!
5 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
5 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
6 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
6 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
6 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
6 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
7 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
7 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
7 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
8 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
8 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
8 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
8 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike
9 hours ago - Having a hell of a time finding a replacement wheel

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026023
Mobile Version of Website