Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
Has anyone ridden Ripmo AF and can share their thoughts? Currently contemplating swapping out my SB130 for one, but cannot really throw a leg over the AF. I've got the 130 set up with 160 up front and longer stroke coil in rear so gives it about 138mm... Wanting something that I don't lose rear end capability on really chunky/steep stuff, because the 130 really outshines its travel numbers, especially in the chunder.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
• Pedaling anti-squat and brake squat are separate parameters. There are bikes with high anti-squat that also have low brake squat, meaning the suspension is strongly influenced by chain tension, which keeps it stable, yet there is minimal influence from braking.

A lower anti-rise one of the big changes in my next frame design. I've done single pivot and linkage driven single pivot on the first three frames and they all have their higher anti-rise rates. The next frame will be a split pivot with the shock and linkage layout like a Nicolai / original Devinci Wilson-Hectik-Frantik. Water bottle be dammed.

The 2nd frame had considerably more anti-squat then most on the market, I didn't find any drawbacks with it. Frame 3 was a bit less and I think I'll split the difference on them in frame 4.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
• Pedaling anti-squat and brake squat are separate parameters. There are bikes with high anti-squat that also have low brake squat, meaning the suspension is strongly influenced by chain tension, which keeps it stable, yet there is minimal influence from braking.

A lower anti-rise one of the big changes in my next frame design. I've done single pivot and linkage driven single pivot on the first three frames and they all have their higher anti-rise rates. The next frame will be a split pivot with the shock and linkage layout like a Nicolai / original Devinci Wilson-Hectik-Frantik. Water bottle be dammed.

The 2nd frame had considerably more anti-squat then most on the market, I didn't find any drawbacks with it. Frame 3 was a bit less and I think I'll split the difference on them in frame 4.

Have you tried riding some bikes with your desired properties? Probably best to dial in the numbers before going to all the trouble of building.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
tangaroo wrote:
Has anyone ridden Ripmo AF and can share their thoughts? Currently contemplating swapping out my SB130 for one, but cannot really throw a leg over the AF. I've got the 130 set up with 160 up front and longer stroke coil in rear so gives it about 138mm... Wanting something that I don't lose rear end capability on really chunky/steep stuff, because the 130 really outshines its travel numbers, especially in the chunder.

I haven’t ridden the 130 so it’s hard to say. I had a Ripmo and was stoked. On little wheels now.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
tangaroo wrote:

rode an AF a couple times, was going to buy one, kept pushing back XL stock, so i didn't.
Haven't ridden an sb130 so can't comment to that end. AF climbed great, didn't want to touch the climb switch ever, felt really fun on flatter trails and stuff like that, wasn't my favorite when things got steep, even with that slack HTA. Corners pretty nicely (with the coil), didn't really notice the weight until i got it in the air and even then it was just a little more effort to whip it around. Its a great bike but it just felt like it was missing something, like a sort of spark, idk. i'm much happier on what i ended up with.
honestly i'd keep the sb130 with the longer stroke coil, i doubt you'd miss the ~10mm of extra travel and extra 2+lbs, and the geo numbers are so similar.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
tangaroo wrote:

I was looking at those two bikes and a couple other similar ones. Still haven’t owned a big wheel bike so I’m intrigued now that they seem to have gotten more fun geometry. But I was pretty much only considering the ripmo af because it is significantly cheaper than the sb130, if you already have the 130, especially if it’s basically the lunch ride version I wouldn’t expect the ripmo to do anything that that bike can’t do as good or better.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
So Soburn - what did you end up choosing instead of the Ripmo?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
To be clear, I have pretty much zero qualms with the 130. My interest is pretty much because I can swap frames out without costing a thing, and to try something new.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
tangaroo wrote:
To be clear, I have pretty much zero qualms with the 130. My interest is pretty much because I can swap frames out without costing a thing, and to try something new.
Pretty much zero?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
tangaroo wrote:
If I was you I would need to be paid to swap to the ripmo

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
tangaroo wrote:

ok we get it, you don’t like Ibis

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:41 Quote
sosburn wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
tangaroo wrote:

Why would you swap from carbon to alloy and not be compensated...?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sosburn wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Why would you swap from carbon to alloy and not be compensated...?
a lot of people prefer alloy over carbon (not saying i agree)

I think he just meant he has a used frame and he can swap frames without having to spend money for a brand new one.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
kwapik wrote:
So Soburn - what did you end up choosing instead of the Ripmo?

got a Wreckoning LB on the CHEAP.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
thuren wrote:
My bike has quite a bit of [pedaling anti-squat]

You're not kidding: highest on the market, as far as I can tell!

Naaaaa not that heavy AS 115-130% or so(rider height dependent) at heavy sag(steep climb). Makes that open coil shock not feel like an open coil shock haha!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026116
Mobile Version of Website