Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
Marin isn't that bad. Mt tam and tamarancho are though.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I know RMR will disagree, but this is my personal opinion when I'm sizing a bike for myself - I still think it's the ETT that matters. Reach and Stack will tell you how something rides when the riding gets fun, but ETT is where you spend most of your time.

My buddy and I are roughly the same size, he's got a longer arms and maybe 1" taller than me. He rides an XL Jeffsy. The reach is the same as my Trail Pistol, but the ETT is 11mm longer (625 vs 636). I immediately felt comfortable on his bike. Like, I might have liked the fitment of his bike a little bit better than mine.

While my Trail Pistol will satisfy me for years to come, I think the next time I buy a bike I'll go back to using ETT as a sizing indicator.

Allow me to try again. You will live a happier life once you've seen the light - or I will, at any rate. I'll do my best to explain. I'll even draw a picture with MS Paint that would disappoint a kindergarten teacher:

Below is a unicycle. It has zero reach and zero wheelbase, yet I've given it a long ETT. If ETT was a valid metric - if it was even a thing, which it isn't - then this would be a big bike. But it's not. It may feel long due to the laid-back hip angle, but it's the shortest possible bike and the reach is small, once you move the saddle to a normal position.

At least one variable must be held constant for a meaningful comparison to exist and hip angle is the typical variable to hold constant when comparing bike fit. This is the point you're missing. Once you standardize your hip position, the fit of the bike is determined by the normalized reach (corrected for differences in stack) and bar & stem dimensions. That's it. There is no ETT. And weight distribution is determined by the rear-centre and front-centre.

A very long bike.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lmfao...owned

I'm not trying to be rude, though, just trying to be a bit amusing as I illustrate a point.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
I know, it was amusing.. I'm sure Pheller will have a laugh even

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lmfao...owned

I'm not trying to be rude, though, just trying to be a bit amusing as I illustrate a point.

What's your opinion on frame manufacturers exaggerating geo? I've put about 10-12 bikes on the surface plate at work, and basically ran a 1st article inspection on them. I've been pretty suprised at some of the findings.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
wrote:
A very long bike.
Ugh. Is that a 26er? Would not ride.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
What's your opinion on frame manufacturers exaggerating geo? I've put about 10-12 bikes on the surface plate at work, and basically ran a 1st article inspection on them. I've been pretty suprised at some of the findings.

It seems implausible to me that any company would lie to, or in any way mislead, the public to improve the perception - and sales - of their products in a fashion-driven product space. Furthermore, it is preposterous to think a company might cover up tooling or manufacturing errors by failing to correct the literature to reflect these errors.

Wink

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Ugh. Is that a 26er? Would not ride.

It's the size XS 2014 Giant Trance X 29. They decided at the last minute to not release it after seeing the final version of the Medium:

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
MikeAzBS wrote:

It seems implausible to me that any company would lie to, or in any way mislead, the public to improve the perception - and sales - of their products in a fashion-driven product space. Furthermore, it is preposterous to think a company might cover up tooling or manufacturing errors by failing to correct the literature to reflect these errors.

Wink
Very true.
Marketing placebo > actual geo

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
nubbs wrote:

I'm game! Bend is close-ish

I have never fallen in love with Bend.. I like tech trails too much. Cool town, but if I am in Oregon, I am heading to Oakridge.

Oakridge is mostly buffed fast single track. I would say Bend has way more "tech" in that there are a ton of slow lavarock trails that are way hard compared to anything in Oakridge. We go oakridge quite a bit as we like the fast fun single track over the slow flat tech stuff.

I have done a limited amount of exploring higher out from Phil's trailhead, but I have done the swampy lakes ride. Overall the Phil's trailhead has never blown me away with the trails.. They are fun, but when my road trip bike is a 160mm enduro 29, I definitely found myself bored..

Oakridge I rode from town and did heckle tooth and had a ton of fun on my Enduro there..

I do love Sycline and little moab. And tres Hombres and Xanadu in levenworth. I pretty much go places and try to ride the most tech trails I can get to.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
I forgot how goofy old 29'r bikes where

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
I forgot how goofy old 29'r bikes where

Or the Maverick bikes!

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 17:23 Quote
lol I owned the Klein version of that bike. Actually rode pretty good for the time.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
Legal trails like this exist in Marin.

Most of the good stuff, you have to take a calculated risk.

Super pumped about the conditions.
Views: 62    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

Views: 23    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021977
Mobile Version of Website