Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
I really liked the Deity Tmac pedals I ran on the Stumpjumper. My other favorite is the DMR Vault.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
Circe wrote:
Is this place dead?

Been running One Up flat pedals for the past year or so. Is there anything better on the market?

My only gripe with the alloy version is the jump for the bearing. Probably just a personal problem but I seem to find myself on it all the time. I’ll probably get a student set next time. The plastic version didn’t have it, so I think I prefer the grip on the plastic more, but they broke in a matter of weeks. Oneuo was great about applying the credit towards the alloy version, so no ill will whatsoever.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
Circe wrote:
Is this place dead?

Been running One Up flat pedals for the past year or so. Is there anything better on the market?

Yeah there is.. It's a set of XTR Trails.

Clipless master race.

I put a set of the Chromag synth pedals on a family members bike the other day.. Pretty impressed with them.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 20:58 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
Is this place dead?

Yeah there is.. It's a set of XTR Trails.

Clipless master race.
If anybody wants a set I have a pair with maybe 10 rides on them during in my garage.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 21:24 Quote
macross87 wrote:
Dead, indeed. How are you liking the OneUp Flats? Im behind the flats tech reviews

Hard to remember how long I've been running my set, but it's been at least a year. Probably two. They've been to Canada, NZ, Arizona, Colorado, etc... Rain, snow, and sun. Durability has been awesome. Pulled them apart once to rebuild and was a waste of time.

Oh right, and they're grippy. Not T-Mac grippy, but better than the Gamut Podiums. It's a good compromise.

Question: What's the benefit of plastic pedals over aluminum? Or visa versa?

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 21:33 Quote
All my clipless are collecting dust.

I left clipping in for downhill and backcountry skiing. Just ordered set of ATK FR14 for new Kaestle TX98 I got.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
. The plastic version didn’t have it, so I think I prefer the grip on the plastic more, but they broke in a matter of weeks. Oneuo was great about applying the credit towards the alloy version, so no ill will whatsoever.

Glad I'm not the only one lol, I broke one a few weeks after purchase, they sent a warranty set. I broke two more in one evening and decided this was not the pedal for me. Pity because it was the best feeling plastic pedal.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 21:54 Quote
Circe wrote:

Lighter (usually) and cheaper (always, for comparable bearings and axles). They also slide over rocks a bit more smoothly, so rock strikes are a bit less jarring, but that's a minor consideration.

Aluminum tends to be thinner and will support longer pins. It's the "premium" material, but if plastic gets the job done well enough for your taste, you might as well save some money.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 22:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
I really liked the Deity Tmac pedals I ran on the Stumpjumper. My other favorite is the DMR Vault.

You correctly chose the top two:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Flat-Pedals,1485

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 0:25 Quote
My Superstar Ultra Mag Tis are just entering their tenth year of service and at 255g for the pair I think they're still among the lightest going? More than enough grip and generally shrug off pedal strikes.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 1:47 Quote
Vaults do not last well. The shape is good but durability sucks.
Been on some plastic one ups for over a year now and they're awesome in every respect

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
crs-one wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
. The plastic version didn’t have it, so I think I prefer the grip on the plastic more, but they broke in a matter of weeks. Oneuo was great about applying the credit towards the alloy version, so no ill will whatsoever.

Glad I'm not the only one lol, I broke one a few weeks after purchase, they sent a warranty set. I broke two more in one evening and decided this was not the pedal for me. Pity because it was the best feeling plastic pedal.

That sucks. I really like the One Up alloys on my Delirium and went withe the plastic on the Endorphin. I have a set of RF Chesters on my ht. I guess I should switch the RF to the Endorphin

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 7:53 Quote
I've been riding cheap $15 composite pedals for years since my Xpedo Spry Mags were getting all torn up. They've got metal pins just like the Chester or OneUp, and are pretty much a copy of the Chester's profile.

It's funny because I'll occasionally ride with guys who are rather new to the sport, or at least only have recently started getting serious about MTB, and they always comment on my lack of running clips like "how long have you been riding? I notice you're still running platform pedals." My reply is usually like "uhh I've been riding for like 25 years man, 15 of which were in clips. I'm done with those banged up knees." Meanwhile they are back there pussyfooting through technical sections because they are too worried about unclipping.

The one benefit I see to platforms becoming more acceptable is that less newbs will be pushed into thinking they need clips. Hopefully that'll mean more focus on skill building and less on escaping clips.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:

Lighter (usually) and cheaper (always, for comparable bearings and axles). They also slide over rocks a bit more smoothly, so rock strikes are a bit less jarring, but that's a minor consideration.

Aluminum tends to be thinner and will support longer pins. It's the "premium" material, but if plastic gets the job done well enough for your taste, you might as well save some money.

The sliding effect on rock strikes is my favorite. Has saved my race runs for sure when things get wild. Alu pedals can be like Austin powers ejecto seat when you hit a good rock

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.074465
Mobile Version of Website