Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 23:18 Quote
zeeman wrote:
Legal trails like this exist in Marin.

Most of the good stuff, you have to take a calculated risk.

Super pumped about the conditions]

Idk what you mean by “calculated risk”.
there are advocation groups that sit in at town hall meetings and fight for more access but as someone who basically grew up in marin, ive never found it difficult to ride fun singletrack without poaching.

also those are two of the most boring trails in marin. There are tons of really fun legal trails, and a shitload more in the 1hr driving radius. If you want more info dm me as id rather not get into it here, but really its not that complicated in terms of just looking and following the rules. There are only two trails that i actively am willing to poach anymore and they arent even hiking trails.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 0:30 Quote
sosburn wrote:
zeeman wrote:

there are advocation groups that sit in at town hall meetings and fight for more access but as someone who basically grew up in marin, ive never found it difficult to ride fun singletrack without poaching.

also those are two of the most boring trails in marin. There are tons of really fun legal trails, and a shitload more in the 1hr driving radius. If you want more info dm me as id rather not get into it here, but really its not that complicated in terms of just looking and following the rules. There are only two trails that i actively am willing to poach anymore and they arent even hiking trails.
Isn’t there a bike speed limit on legal trails or is that just a rumor I heard?

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 0:33 Quote
The scene is so blown it has become a joke.

RIP

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 0:41 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
MikeAzBS wrote:
What's your opinion on frame manufacturers exaggerating geo? I've put about 10-12 bikes on the surface plate at work, and basically ran a 1st article inspection on them. I've been pretty suprised at some of the findings.

It seems implausible to me that any company would lie to, or in any way mislead, the public to improve the perception - and sales - of their products in a fashion-driven product space. Furthermore, it is preposterous to think a company might cover up tooling or manufacturing errors by failing to correct the literature to reflect these errors.

Wink

Lol! I’ve definitely seen a company “release a new version” of a bike, which was the same bike with the STA measured differently. Or a “new bike” that was the same bike with different wheels.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 1:00 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
sosburn wrote:
zeeman wrote:

Yes there is a posted speed limit on a lot of trails. But since most mountain bikers don't use speedometers and they're not standard equipment on bikes, I imagine it's a tough rule to enforce.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
^.
anyways it is what it is, just making the most out of the given situation. there are literally 0 trails in the town i live in now, so im not going to complain about marin haha.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 5:13 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
The scene is so blown it has become a joke.

RIP

sounds like SC is heading that direction. Rangers waiting on hwy9, meth addicts breaking into cars in the parking lots, tons of silicon valley peeps. no place is without it’s problems.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
sosburn wrote:
zeeman wrote:

Down here, south of SF, local open space agency actively enforces 15 mph speed limit with radar and $400 fines. Lack of speedometer is your problem
Still a better land manager than San Mateo parks that prohibits bikes completely or SF Water that closed off large chunk of premium land completely.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
Axxe wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Down here, south of SF, local open space agency actively enforces 15 mph speed limit with radar and $400 fines. Lack of speedometer is your problem
Still a better land manager than San Mateo parks that prohibits bikes completely or SF Water that closed off large chunk of premium land completely.

Wow, we get moaned at and that's about it!!!

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
Marketing placebo > actual geo

I'll be less cynical this time: Manufacturers are mostly truthful about geometry. I can think of only two instances of a manufacturer knowingly lying about their geometry.

There's an awareness in the industry that extreme geometry numbers will attract attention, yet most people won't enjoy the ride, so there exists some incentive to publish numbers that are more extreme than the actual bike, but I don't think many are acting on it.

Several bikes have head-tube angles of X.8° or X.9°. Most or all of these are intended to appeal to a desire for a slack head angle: for example, the "5" makes 65.9° feel a lot more modern than 66°.

MBR magazine recently published the article "Just how accurate are bike geometry charts anyway?". Worth a read - or maybe this is what prompted your question.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
America, land of the fee

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
Canada, land of the tax

lots of killer riding tho

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
Axxe wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
sosburn wrote:

The thing about lack of speedometer is that without a way to accurately measure your speed, there's no way for a rider to tell if he or she is going over the speed limit.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
Well. And they don’t care.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Well. And they don’t care.

Yeah I would argue the shit out of a ticket for speeding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018719
Mobile Version of Website