Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
seraph wrote:
Axxe wrote:
Well. And they don’t care.

Yeah I would argue the shit out of a ticket for speeding.

Theres no legal requirement to have a working speedo on your car (at least thats true in the UK), doesnt mean you can drive everywhere at 100mph!

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
Imagine shredding a sweet descent and somebody trying to give you a speeding ticket at the bottom

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
Imagine stopping and letting ranger Bob give you a ticket...

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
Heh, Ranger Bob got me twice.

1st offense was $250
2nd was $500

I treated it as my season pass.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:

1st offense was $250
2nd was $500

Cousin lives in Oroville right at the dam that almost burst.. He has acess to the trails from his back yard into the park there. We go for a ride and all the sudden ranger Bob comes flying up sirren blaring, lights going and litterally slides into the pull out we were on and puts us at gun point...

Dad and I are in full spandex and roadie helmets and cousin is best friends with the second city officer to arrive.. Park cop wrote us all 3 tickets for $300 for trespassing on closed trails... We never passed a trail closed sign because we accessed trails from his back yard.. But because the dam rebuild was considered a "threat to national security" they had closed the whole park down and homeland security was patrolling the area...

It was the biggest show of California buttf*ckery ever. I guarantee the 2 park cops got back into their car and stroked each other off for being "national heros".. f*ck that place and those clowns..

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
seraph wrote:
Axxe wrote:
Well. And they don’t care.

Yeah I would argue the shit out of a ticket for speeding.

Many tried.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
MikeAzBS wrote:
Marketing placebo > actual geo

I'll be less cynical this time: Manufacturers are mostly truthful about geometry. I can think of only two instances of a manufacturer knowingly lying about their geometry.

There's an awareness in the industry that extreme geometry numbers will attract attention, yet most people won't enjoy the ride, so there exists some incentive to publish numbers that are more extreme than the actual bike, but I don't think many are acting on it.

Several bikes have head-tube angles of X.8° or X.9°. Most or all of these are intended to appeal to a desire for a slack head angle: for example, the "5" makes 65.9° feel a lot more modern than 66°.

MBR magazine recently published the article "Just how accurate are bike geometry charts anyway?". Worth a read - or maybe this is what prompted your question.
Thanks for the link to the article! Some of it was expected, some blatantly egregious. Hadn't seen it though. However, I mentioned it because I've been demoing some of the newer bikes with steeper sta. I wanted to see what I'm missing out on. I'm on XL HTLT now with 74.2° at my saddle height. I've been keeping a log of demo and friends bikes geo in cad-cam. Also, geo-chart overlays with product photos. Even when accounting for A2C differences and using a tire height constant can't justify some of the discrepancies. Thanks for the info.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 21:43 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
Thanks for the link to the article! Some of it was expected, some blatantly egregious. Hadn't seen it though. However, I mentioned it because I've been demoing some of the newer bikes with steeper sta. I wanted to see what I'm missing out on. I'm on XL HTLT now with 74.2° at my saddle height. I've been keeping a log of demo and friends bikes geo in cad-cam. Also, geo-chart overlays with product photos. Even when accounting for A2C differences and using a tire height constant can't justify some of the discrepancies. Thanks for the info.

Ah, you should've been more specific!

Seat-tube angles are the biggest mess in bike geometry reporting. Such a mess. Here are some ways it may be reported:

• Typical measurement for "effective seat-tube angle": Seat-tube centreline is extended to a line parallel with the top of the head-tube (at the centreline). You probably sit a lot higher than this, so the angle you actually feel will be influenced by the actual seat-tube angle.
• Actual seat-tube angle: The actual angle at which the seatpost extends from the seat-tube. Rarely reported.
• Offset: The distance from the centreline of the actual seat-tube angle and the bottom bracket, measured horizontally from the bottom-bracket centreline, without sag. Never reported.
• Effective seat-tube angle at estimated seat height: Rarely, a manufacturer will guess at a realistic seat height for a given size and report the effective seat-tube angle at this height. It's somewhat arbitrary, but it's closer than the typical way of reporting effective seat-tube angle.

Considerations:

• The bike sags when you sit on it, moreso at the rear than the front. The more travel the bike has, the more this will slacken the dynamic seat-tube angle.
• Your weight shifts rearward when climbing, greatly increasing the sag. This dramatically slackens the dynamic seat-tube angle, especially on bikes with more travel.

This is why seat-tube angles, as reported in manufacturers' literature, bear little resemblance to what you feel.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
So - in America you can buy an assault rifle, but you can't ride your bike over 15mph?

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
Nickwalker99 wrote:
So - in America you can buy an assault rifle, but you can't ride your bike over 15mph?

In California, you would have a hard time doing both.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
Nickwalker99 wrote:
No, assault rifles have been banned since 1986 and that idiotic 15mph rule is purely a northern California thing.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 23:43 Quote
After reading this conversation, it feels so damn good to live in Finland and to be able to ride my bike where ever I want as long as I'm not on anyone's yard.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 0:34 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:

1st offense was $250
2nd was $500

Cousin lives in Oroville right at the dam that almost burst.. He has acess to the trails from his back yard into the park there. We go for a ride and all the sudden ranger Bob comes flying up sirren blaring, lights going and litterally slides into the pull out we were on and puts us at gun point...

Dad and I are in full spandex and roadie helmets and cousin is best friends with the second city officer to arrive.. Park cop wrote us all 3 tickets for $300 for trespassing on closed trails... We never passed a trail closed sign because we accessed trails from his back yard.. But because the dam rebuild was considered a "threat to national security" they had closed the whole park down and homeland security was patrolling the area...

It was the biggest show of California buttf*ckery ever. I guarantee the 2 park cops got back into their car and stroked each other off for being "national heros".. f*ck that place and those clowns..

Ranger Bob & other short stories lol

Expensive clowns , I'd be miffed too

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nickwalker99 wrote:
No, assault rifles have been banned since 1986 and that idiotic 15mph rule is purely a northern California thing.

Assault rifles are regulated by individual states. The federal ban expired in 2004 and has not been renewed.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 5:27 Quote
dchill wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nickwalker99 wrote:

Assault rifles are regulated by individual states. The federal ban expired in 2004 and has not been renewed.
Incorrect. FOPA has been in place uninterrupted since 1986 and bans assault rifle ownership by civilians in all but an extremely limited, highly regulated context.

The 1994 crime bill is what you're referencing, which expired in 2004... that bill banned and erroneously labeled 19 specific semi-automatic rifles as assault weapons based upon ergonomic and cosmetic features but none of the weapons in question were actually assault rifles... some state legislation has sought to continue that trend, preying upon the fear and ignorance of the general public, in banning cosmetic features through labeling them assault rifles but FOPA set forth clear legislation banning the transfer of assault weapons to civilians in 1986, effectively extending and increasing restrictions initially put in place by the Gun Control Act of 1968, itself an extension and addition to the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018822
Mobile Version of Website