Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
dchill wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

No, assault rifles have been banned since 1986 and that idiotic 15mph rule is purely a northern California thing.

Assault rifles are regulated by individual states. The federal ban expired in 2004 and has not been renewed.
Incorrect. FOPA has been in place uninterrupted since 1986 and bans assault rifle ownership by civilians in all but an extremely limited, highly regulated context.

The 1994 crime bill is what you're referencing, which expired in 2004... that bill banned and erroneously labeled 19 specific semi-automatic rifles as assault weapons based upon ergonomic and cosmetic features but none of the weapons in question were actually assault rifles... some state legislation has sought to continue that trend, preying upon the fear and ignorance of the general public, in banning cosmetic features through labeling them assault rifles but FOPA set forth clear legislation banning the transfer of assault weapons to civilians in 1986, effectively extending and increasing restrictions initially put in place by the Gun Control Act of 1968, itself an extension and addition to the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Shotguns, rifles, machine guns, firearm mufflers and silencers are regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934.
The purchase of semi-automatic weapons is legal in most states, as are automatic weapons made before 1986.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Wale wrote:
After reading this conversation, it feels so damn good to live in Finland and to be able to ride my bike where ever I want as long as I'm not on anyone's yard.

The PNW is 100x times worse, don't even bother guys.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 7:18 Quote
dchill wrote:
Shotguns, rifles, machine guns, firearm mufflers and silencers are regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934.
The purchase of semi-automatic weapons is legal in most states, as are automatic weapons made before 1986.
Precisely as I said, civilian ownership of assault rifles is federally banned except under extremely limited and highly regulated context... assault weapons made prior to 86 are prohibitively expensive and in increasingly slim supply since it's illegal to make replacement parts for them while also requiring extensive background checks, special applications and fees, and a special tax stamp from the ATF. Civilian ownership of post 86 assault weapons is banned outright and possession is only possible for those with an FFL/SOT, or class 3 FFL.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
Such a shame man.

It's very liberal here in the UK where you can ride - it's only trying to build trails on land that doesn't belong to you that you start to experience issues.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Such a shame man.

It's very liberal here in the UK where you can ride - it's only trying to build trails on land that doesn't belong to you that you start to experience issues.

Sounds pretty similar to here. Even building illegally around here (logging companies own most of the land on the island) the land owners typically turn a blind eye and wave when they see us riding in there property. It's the motos, atvs and 4x4s that they are really trying to enforce keeping out.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 8:03 Quote
dchill wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Nickwalker99 wrote:
So - in America you can buy an assault rifle, but you can't ride your bike over 15mph?
No, assault rifles have been banned since 1986 and that idiotic 15mph rule is purely a northern California thing.

Assault rifles are regulated by individual states. The federal ban expired in 2004 and has not been renewed.

He means actual assault rifles. Not regular semiauto rifles that they try to convince us are too scary because it has a thingy that goes up.
My .308 FNAR competition is somehow OK, but if I add back a normal grip or stock on my AR with half as powerful round, that would be a felony. That just shows you how brain dead all liberals are.

In fact, looking forward when 1986 ban and NFA are declared unconstitutional.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
'murica

UK and Holland can't relate

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Well, Mythbusters did and episode on "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight", turns out that only applies if the distance is large enough for the gun wielder to have enough time to draw, aim and fire before the knife wielder closes the distance.

So UK might have some advantage over the US, if the distance is kept close

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
I highly doubt fully automatic weapons will ever be legal again, at least in the way they were previously. Police don't want that kind of artillery on the street, and so long as we're grilling police for turning the other way when engaging shooters, they want at least some fighting chance.

I've talked with some pretty conservative LEOs who are starting to get nervous with the amount of semi-auto long rifles in general circulation, mostly because of the ineffectiveness of most vests against such rounds.

On the topic of trail and land access, that's a uniquely American thing as well. Both are attempts at protecting someone's safety (or mental health records) while infringing on the vast majority of law abiding citizens.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
Good for them to be nervous. That is the EXACT reason for the second amendment. And I am highly sympathetic to police.

And criminals can manufacture full auto trivially. No shortage of such in Mexico - country with a single legal gun store. Anyone with a brain understands that the purpose of prohibition is grandstanding and population control over law abiding citizens - not actual disarmament of bandits. That’s a fact and any snowflake who thinks otherwise is brainwashed.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
The whole thing seems like a mess. I think its completely fair to have background checks preformed on anybody who wants a weapon and that basic safety course should also be mandated (You could probably work a tax into ammunition or gun sales so that there is no upfront cost). I also think that there should be a definition of a *high risk* weapon based on how much damage it could do in a given amount of time these would require a special permit and only be available to certain people who qualify. Owning one of these without the proper certification would be a life sentence with no chance of parole type thing to discourage people from owning them. Really i think guns are fun but i think if your primary motive is to protect you and your property you don't need anything beyond a certain capacity...

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
The whole thing seems like a mess. I think its completely fair to have background checks preformed on anybody who wants a weapon and that basic safety course should also be mandated (You could probably work a tax into ammunition or gun sales so that there is no upfront cost). I also think that there should be a definition of a *high risk* weapon based on how much damage it could do in a given amount of time these would require a special permit and only be available to certain people who qualify. Owning one of these without the proper certification would be a life sentence with no chance of parole type thing to discourage people from owning them. Really i think guns are fun but i think if your primary motive is to protect you and your property you don't need anything beyond a certain capacity...

Unfortunately there's really no way for you or anyone else to say what the right capacity is. I say more is always better. If I'm defending my family and the people around me from people who are actively trying to harm others, I want as many bullets as possible in my guns. The fewer reloads I have to do during a confrontation the better. Fewer reloads = fewer chances of malfunctions, both mechanical and organic (i.e. failing to get the new mag in fast enough, dropping a magazine, missing the slide release, etc).

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Is the gun thread still going? Just curious

No guns here, but 'I get it'

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018778
Mobile Version of Website