Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
Out of 100% of our MTB customer base, only about 10% are riding platform pedals. Granted most of our clientele is aged 45 or above, so that may have something to do with it.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:
Just trim out the booty or run extra washers
Tried the extra washers and would've had to run too many to clear the boot... but I'm a little ashamed to admit I didn't even think about just opening up the hole to be a bit bigger. 30 seconds and a dremel would do the trick.

Had to do that with my old Sixc cranks and first gen Atlas pedals.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
Out of 100% of our MTB customer base, only about 10% are riding platform pedals. Granted most of our clientele is aged 45 or above, so that may have something to do with it.

Not all old farts can admit they had been wrong all their life.

I did.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
Perhaps pedal choice varies by region more than any of us anticipated. Maybe by age demographics, too. Interesting.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Yes, I am somewhat faster on an all out sprint or a focused downhill run when clipped in. Number of times I cared about those few seconds in the last ten years is exactly zero.

I am less tired on a long ride, more comfortable, and safer when not 100% focused on platforms. Everyone else will be as well. Those who disagree are wrong.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
Is this place dead?

Been running One Up flat pedals for the past year or so. Is there anything better on the market?

Yeah there is.. It's a set of XTR Trails.

Clipless master race.

I put a set of the Chromag synth pedals on a family members bike the other day.. Pretty impressed with them.

I’d make sure to tighten the grub screws. Last season I got a rainbow worth of colorways, within a week I had three customers with half the pins that fell out. Still a nice pedal, but I started tightening all the grub screws from the factory which was annoying. I remember there was a couple week wait time to get a bulk bottle of replacement screws as well, those were sold out (for some reason...can’t imagine what it was)

The crank bro’s plastic stamps are quite nice as well. No issues so far and the bigger size is what I started carrying in addition to the normal chesters and stuff for cheap flats.

And on clips vs. flats, all my riding buddies but two clip in. Most of the customers are on flats since most are on entry level full sus and under. I’d guess it’s a 5 to 1 ratio of selling flat pedals across all brands to clips - but most beginners only want to dump 50 extra bucks into pedals instead of shoes, pedals, and worrying about falling over.

I like the float since it helps with my wrecked ankles. I also came to love the feel of a super stiff shoe regardless of riding discipline. Current faves are sphyre xc9’s and giants charge for more walkability. Don’t think I’ll ever use 5.10’s again

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Yes, I am somewhat faster on an all out sprint or a focused downhill run when clipped in. Number of times I cared about those few seconds in the last ten years is exactly zero.

I am less tired on a long ride, more comfortable, and safer when not 100% focused on platforms. Everyone else will be as well. Those who disagree are wrong.

Or maybe different people like different things. Unpopular opinion, I know.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Perhaps pedal choice varies by region more than any of us anticipated. Maybe by age demographics, too. Interesting.

This is apparently the case.. I know things vary by region. But it appears that flats vs Clipless apparently varies as much or more than tire choice. Super interesting really.

I stand by my position that for MTB, flats still rule a vast majority for our shop.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I stand by my position that for MTB, flats still rule a vast majority for our shop.

I'll take your word for it. Around here, it's probably 90%+ clips on some trail networks, down to maybe 50:50 elsewhere.

Across, say, North America ... no idea!

I can't begin to guess how things look in Europe. And what about Asia? Are they using, like, magnets or something? They could be!

It seems there's a lot we don't know about pedal preferences!

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
seraph wrote:
Axxe wrote:

Or maybe different people like different things. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Some people do enjoy inserting random objects up their asses. I say let them. They are still wrong.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
That has to be a situation when XC race clips are better than flats, no?

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I'll take your word for it. Around here, it's probably 90%+ clips on some trail networks, down to maybe 50:50 elsewhere.

Across, say, North America ... no idea!

I can't begin to guess how things look in Europe. And what about Asia? Are they using, like, magnets or something? They could be!

It seems there's a lot we don't know about pedal preferences!

The thing that absolutely blows me away. Our Specialized Turbo Levos are built for maximum assistance between 80-100rpm. We have sold 85 of them this year and I know of 7 total that received Clipless pedals.. And 2 of them are are mine.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 19:30 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
The thing that absolutely blows me away. Our Specialized Turbo Levos are built for maximum assistance between 80-100rpm. We have sold 85 of them this year and I know of 7 total that received Clipless pedals.. And 2 of them are are mine.

That's a lotta RPMs for flats.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 19:45 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

That's a lotta RPMs for flats.

Exactly.

Granted most ebike riders are dumb.. They shift into the 11t and just grind away. My wife is super guilty of this and gets annoyed when I remind her to shift.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
dchill wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:
Just trim out the booty or run extra washers
Tried the extra washers and would've had to run too many to clear the boot... but I'm a little ashamed to admit I didn't even think about just opening up the hole to be a bit bigger. 30 seconds and a dremel would do the trick.

Had to do that with my old Sixc cranks and first gen Atlas pedals.
Spank spikes same issue. Had to cut a big ol hole with an exacto.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.047860
Mobile Version of Website