Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
went from mtb speeding tickets to guns just like that

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
The whole thing seems like a mess. I think its completely fair to have background checks preformed on anybody who wants a weapon and that basic safety course should also be mandated (You could probably work a tax into ammunition or gun sales so that there is no upfront cost). I also think that there should be a definition of a *high risk* weapon based on how much damage it could do in a given amount of time these would require a special permit and only be available to certain people who qualify. Owning one of these without the proper certification would be a life sentence with no chance of parole type thing to discourage people from owning them. Really i think guns are fun but i think if your primary motive is to protect you and your property you don't need anything beyond a certain capacity...

Unfortunately there's really no way for you or anyone else to say what the right capacity is. I say more is always better. If I'm defending my family and the people around me from people who are actively trying to harm others, I want as many bullets as possible in my guns. The fewer reloads I have to do during a confrontation the better. Fewer reloads = fewer chances of malfunctions, both mechanical and organic (i.e. failing to get the new mag in fast enough, dropping a magazine, missing the slide release, etc).

But then we get into all sorts of fun things like - What is the likely hood of a home invasion? What is the likely hood said home invasion is not a home invasion, and you just shoot someone you know? And so on and so forth.

The real question however is WTF are we doing to do about the rampant shootings? Removing guns doesn't mean an end to terrorist attacks. We've seen cars driven into crowds, knife attacks, and other horrible acts, but the death tolls seam to be lower.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
To bring it back to MTBs and trails, it really has to do with who's liberties you want to trample on.

In the case of trail closures and speed limits, hikers say "you're ruining our experience of the outdoors by making trails into a racetrack" and MTB folks say "you're ruining our experience of the outdoors by limiting our speeds."

I don't want a fully automatic weapon. Me and no number of my friends will ever mount an insurgency against the US Military, even if Trump decided he wanted unlimited terms. I would just leave the country. But should the rights and liberties of the masses infringe on those of the few for a "potential" common good?

As they say "closure isn't management" but what point is management so resource intensive that you're spending way more than you need to enforce laws and protect people when a simpler answer would be a "closure."

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
Shootings happen because they get attention and because politicians have legislated soft targets into being. Take that attention away and remove gun free zones and most of these sick bastards are gonna lose their nerve. They're cowards looking for victims and attention, not cowboys looking for shootouts.

Don't let the media fool you... you're FAR more likely to be the victim of a home invasion than you are a mass shooting. There's more than a million legitimate home invasions each year, exponentially more than even the most heavily manipulated liberal definition of a mass shooting.

All the talk about magazine restrictions and "features" is really just about neutering the efficacy of a weapon in the hands of the inexperienced that would represent a threat in a revolution. If politicians actually cared about death tolls, they'd be trying to ban handguns, not scary black rifles because they have pistol grips.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Fox vs Rock Shox.
Why not both?

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
The government won't let us. Fox Shox has been banned since 2011.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

Cane Creek should be banned since forever.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Shootings happen because they get attention and because politicians have legislated soft targets into being. Take that attention away and remove gun free zones and most of these sick bastards are gonna lose their nerve. They're cowards looking for victims and attention, not cowboys looking for shootouts.

Don't let the media fool you... you're FAR more likely to be the victim of a home invasion than you are a mass shooting. There's more than a million legitimate home invasions each year, exponentially more than even the most heavily manipulated liberal definition of a mass shooting.

All the talk about magazine restrictions and "features" is really just about neutering the efficacy of a weapon in the hands of the inexperienced that would represent a threat in a revolution. If politicians actually cared about death tolls, they'd be trying to ban handguns, not scary black rifles because they have pistol grips.

And out of those 1 million home invasions how many of the invaders know the person they are robbing?

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Home invasion isn't typically robbery... it's illegal, usually forced, entry that results in violent crime... assault, murder, rape, e.t.c. Some, I'm sure, started as just burglary that got out of hand.

If I recall correctly there's something like 1.8 million burglaries each year aside from home invasions.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

I've never had a problem with my 40 headset, well nothing a bit of grease couldn't fix.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
So we need fully automatic weapons to protect ourselves during home invasions. Got it.

Do hikers in Santa Cruz need speed limits on trails to protect themselves from collisions with bikers?

Then again, having ridden in more populated areas of California, I can't imagine how overused some of those trails would become if they were legal.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I've never had a problem with my 40 headset, well nothing a bit of grease couldn't fix.
Fine they will be restricted to selling headsets

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018594
Mobile Version of Website