Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:


Cane Creek should be banned since forever.
I've never had a problem with my 40 headset, well nothing a bit of grease couldn't fix.

Agree their headsets are fine.. Apparently their forks are fine too.. Just the shocks are garbage. And wasn't too stoked with Customer service either.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 15:48 Quote
PHeller wrote:
So we need fully automatic weapons to protect ourselves during home invasions. Got it.

Do hikers in Santa Cruz need speed limits on trails to protect themselves from collisions with bikers?

Then again, having ridden in more populated areas of California, I can't imagine how overused some of those trails would become if they were legal.

Overused how? If they let us ride it we'll maintain it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
seraph wrote:
PHeller wrote:
So we need fully automatic weapons to protect ourselves during home invasions. Got it.

Do hikers in Santa Cruz need speed limits on trails to protect themselves from collisions with bikers?

Then again, having ridden in more populated areas of California, I can't imagine how overused some of those trails would become if they were legal.

Overused how? If they let us ride it we'll maintain it.

Squamish trails get ridden very hard by locals and tourists alike. Probably more than any other place in the world outside of bike parks. They get maintained beautifully. Worrying about trails being overused is a bit ridiculous. That means there is a scene and a community who will maintain them.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
I think the opposition to that would be people feeling like MTBs are driving out other user groups.

Then again, better reason to develop "hiking only" and "multi-use" trails. That's what we do out here in Flagstaff. Ironically enough the MTB and Moto guys are the only ones laying out trails with their user groups in mind. Equestrians and hikers are just happy enough to share.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Fox vs Rock Shox.

Bilstein.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
It is pretty amazing that Rockshox has managed to be such a dominant suspension producer despite numerous companies with far more experience in other fields wading into the market.

With SR Suntour producing products for so many big brands, Marzocchi failing and becoming part of Fox, it's only a matter of time before Ohlins stops flopping around and its decides to just bail on MTB.

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
PHeller wrote:
It is pretty amazing that Rockshox has managed to be such a dominant suspension producer despite numerous companies with far more experience in other fields wading into the market.

With SR Suntour producing products for so many big brands, Marzocchi failing and becoming part of Fox, it's only a matter of time before Ohlins stops flopping around and its decides to just bail on MTB.

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?


SRAM are still in their infancy really

I doubt 'everything' is made in Stockholm, Japan undoubtedly does it's bit. Don't forget they are long term players in the suspension game

Brembo brakes for instance, haven't even bothered with MTB ..yet, I have asked (not in a work capacity,) but tumbleweed gets boring

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 17:16 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?

I believe Suntour manufacturers for Ohlins also

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
PHeller wrote:
It is pretty amazing that Rockshox has managed to be such a dominant suspension producer despite numerous companies with far more experience in other fields wading into the market.

With SR Suntour producing products for so many big brands, Marzocchi failing and becoming part of Fox, it's only a matter of time before Ohlins stops flopping around and its decides to just bail on MTB.

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?


SRAM are still in their infancy really

I doubt 'everything' is made in Stockholm, Japan undoubtedly does it's bit. Don't forget they are long term players in the suspension game

Brembo brakes for instance, haven't even bothered with MTB ..yet, I have asked (not in a work capacity,) but tumbleweed gets boring
Iirc brembo had a very short run in the mtb world.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
PHeller wrote:
It is pretty amazing that Rockshox has managed to be such a dominant suspension producer despite numerous companies with far more experience in other fields wading into the market.

Some of that is due to SRAM's OE pricing policy:

To purchase OE directly from SRAM, you have to buy six-figures worth of parts. At OE prices, which are far below wholesale, that's a lot of parts.

Further price breaks happen at various purchase levels, some of which are attainable only for large clients.

SRAM makes big-ticket items, such as shocks, forks, and seatposts, that make it easier for small and mid-sized companies to hit the minimum order quantity, which is why we often see these companies using fully SRAM kits. In the recent past, we would even see SRAM's sub-par wheels spec'd by companies desperate to hit a price threshold - no one was spec'ing SRAM wheels for the performance or prestige!

Large companies can hit the highest price breaks of multiple vendors, so you'll see the big guys spec'ing a mix of SRAM, Shimano, Fox, etc. And when you're as big as Giant, you cut out the middle man and make your own!

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 19:39 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Fox vs Rock Shox.

Manitou Mezzer. has them both beat in the long travel sc department.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
Does it though? and for how long? That’s what worries me about early adoption of notable competitors, it’s only a matter of minutes before the big guys unwrap their response. Don’t fire across the bow unless you’re sure you’ve got a bigger gun.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've never had a problem with my 40 headset, well nothing a bit of grease couldn't fix.

Agree their headsets are fine.. Apparently their forks are fine too.. Just the shocks are garbage. And wasn't too stoked with Customer service either.

Their forks are pretty good and the original DB coil was great.
any time I have dealt with them their customer service has been very helpful

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Does it though? and for how long? That’s what worries me about early adoption of notable competitors, it’s only a matter of minutes before the big guys unwrap their response. Don’t fire across the bow unless you’re sure you’ve got a bigger gun.

It’s a better fork then the 36 and Lyric at the moment. We will have to see how the fox 38 will be and it would be a good time for RS to reintroduce the Totem.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021882
Mobile Version of Website