Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 20:28 Quote
dchill wrote:
[ ... ] it would be a good time for RS to reintroduce the Totem.

Maybe it's a good time for double-crowns. 180 mm, 29er single-crowns are longer than 200 mm, 650b doubles. A full inch longer than 200 mm, 26" doubles. And now our bikes have enough reach that we won't hit our knees on the upper crowns.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
kwapik wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?

I believe Suntour manufacturers for Ohlins also

Ohlins was purchased by Tenneco inc, (US company) in 2018 for $160 mil. But I’m not sure if they’re made in the US, Sweden or Asia now.

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/tenneco-acquires-ohlins/

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
kwapik wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Does anyone know if Ohlins stuff is actually made by their own factories?

I believe Suntour manufacturers for Ohlins also

Ohlins was purchased by Tenneco inc, (US company) in 2018 for $160 mil. But I’m not sure if they’re made in the US, Sweden or Asia now.

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/tenneco-acquires-ohlins/
So marzocchi 2.0

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:05 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
dchill wrote:
[ ... ] it would be a good time for RS to reintroduce the Totem.

Maybe it's a good time for double-crowns. 180 mm, 29er single-crowns are longer than 200 mm, 650b doubles. A full inch longer than 200 mm, 26" doubles. And now our bikes have enough reach that we won't hit our knees on the upper crowns.

Probably the only use I have for my Enduro 29 now that I have my Levo is going to be a dedicated bike park bike.. The Onyx SC on the Levo is awesome.. But still lacks stiffness when trying to use it as a DH fork. I will probably end up with a MRP Bartlett eventually for the Enduro. Just want to see some reviews on it.. It's such a cool idea, but has been total radio silence on reviews of it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Probably the only use I have for my Enduro 29 now that I have my Levo is going to be a dedicated bike park bike.. The Onyx SC on the Levo is awesome.. But still lacks stiffness when trying to use it as a DH fork. I will probably end up with a MRP Bartlett eventually for the Enduro. Just want to see some reviews on it.. It's such a cool idea, but has been total radio silence on reviews of it.

My Ribbon Air was occasionally amazing, but usually awful. My Ribbon Coil is often amazing and often sub-par. It's currently with MRP to get the new bushings and low friction guts. To their credit, they seemed keen to fix it and suggested the bill may be less than I expected. We'll soon find out.

MRP urgently needs to solve their friction / binding issue and, to a lesser extent, reduce flex. If the new parts prevent it from essentially locking out half the time and the second crown raises the stiffness, the Bartlett could be as good as it gets. Mind you, it's about the same weight, price, and length as a Boxxer, so it had better be good.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:41 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

My Ribbon Air was occasionally amazing, but usually awful. My Ribbon Coil is often amazing and often sub-par. It's currently with MRP to get the new bushings and low friction guts. To their credit, they seemed keen to fix it and suggested the bill may be less than I expected. We'll soon find out.

MRP urgently needs to solve their friction / binding issue and, to a lesser extent, reduce flex. If the new parts prevent it from essentially locking out half the time and the second crown raises the stiffness, the Bartlett could be as good as it gets. Mind you, it's about the same weight, price, and length as a Boxxer, so it had better be good.

I will say that their EP is very generous for us shop dudes and the ability for me to run any of the 4 29er wheelsets I already have is a huge plus compared to buying a new Boxxer and having to have a dedicated front wheel for that bike.

I have had good luck with my Ribbon Air on my hardtail.. But that's a steel hardtail, so I am not inherently looking for some super soft cushy ride.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I thought the Levo was for the wife lol

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 21:54 Quote
kwapik wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I thought the Levo was for the wife lol

Bought one for her too... Well really I bought a spare battery for my turbo and it came with a bike for her to ride occasionally. Lol.

She has ridden hers 4 or 5 times now in the 2 months we have had them and enjoyed it.. Which is more than she has ridden the last 5 years. So overall success.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 22:15 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I have had good luck with my Ribbon Air on my hardtail.. But that's a steel hardtail, so I am not inherently looking for some super soft cushy ride.

When my Ribbons were/are good, they're so good ... and when they're bad, they're so bad. Fresh from a lowers service, when friction is still nearly zero, I can run the Coil with a remarkably high amount of low-speed compression and maximum Ramp Control and the response to every force is absolutely magic. As soon as the friction returns - especially with the Air - it's still magic when the force perfectly aligns with the legs; otherwise, it ranges from harsh to unintentionally locked out.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

When my Ribbons were/are good, they're so good ... and when they're bad, they're so bad. Fresh from a lowers service, when friction is still nearly zero, I can run the Coil with a remarkably high amount of low-speed compression and maximum Ramp Control and the response to every force is absolutely magic. As soon as the friction returns - especially with the Air - it's still magic when the force perfectly aligns with the legs; otherwise, it ranges from harsh to unintentionally locked out.

I have been really on top of my Ribbon all year.. It was getting lower service every 25 hours of riding or so.. So I have always been happy with mine. Also making me curious about a Bartlett.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 22:46 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
[ ... ] making me curious about a Bartlett.

If the binding issues are sorted, the Bartlett could be the most underappreciated fork out there.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
[ ... ] making me curious about a Bartlett.

If the binding issues are sorted, the Bartlett could be the most underappreciated fork out there.

Right? Absolutely no reviews out in the wild and it's been out for over a year.. I get that it's a niche product.. But you would think that with the number of bike park enduro bikes out there, someone would have put one on.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
you would think that with the number of bike park enduro bikes out there, someone would have put one on.

Your time to shine.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
you would think that with the number of bike park enduro bikes out there, someone would have put one on.

Your time to shine.

I know..

My Levo came the same week that my Enduro came back from Ruckus.. And My Enduro frame is still hanging above my bench at the shop.. Haven't touched it. And I have a M9 for resort riding.

Trying to buy an investment property so building extra bikes that I don't need is pretty low on the priority list.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 23:23 Quote
Sounds like it's wise for you to tie up some capital and keep it out of Specialized's accounts! Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018688
Mobile Version of Website