Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
tom666 wrote:
I've seen that in London the price of rent has gone crazy in places that aren't even nice to live.

Central London has always been expensive, but in the last 20-30 years property in central has been bought up by million and billionaires as investments, it's often not even lived in. That's over time pushed people out into further and further out neighbourhoods where it's still nice but the rent is lower and you can commute in pretty fast...

... And then now it's expensive even to live in a shitty neighbourhood. One of my buddies is looking at living in Brixton or Tooting because that's kind of what he can afford. These are like some of the worst areas in London. This is where all the knife crime and muggings happen and he's about to pay like £1000 a month to live there lol

People are moving to the places where everyone says "oh that place is near to X and only one stop away from Y and you can get to Z quite quickly from there" - but they never talk about the place itself lol

London is plain retarded. The one bed apartment my sister bought with her boyfriend cost £318,000. And it's a cupboard!

Inlaws small holding of 8 acres a stable block and a couple of other out buildings sold for £350,000.

Mental, my house in Leeds is a mansin compared to their flat. Cost much, much less.

Ah well, people.and their choices. I'm happy up North. Abundance of trails and centres all around. And great people to boot.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
PHeller wrote:
RMR, thanks for your elaborate responses, as always.

I've noticed on MTBR there has been a big shift in peoples perceptions about the Ribbon since they've release the Chocoluxe upgrades. Folks who said they were about ready to throw in the towel on the Ribbon got them back with the upgrades and have since decided that they are completely new forks.

I will be very happy if that's the case. It would really turn things around for the Ribbon and make it proper competitor to Fox and RockShox.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Circe wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Pretty interesting considering how shitty santa cruz is. homeless situation is really just gross at this point, almost as bad as SF

Pretty much. That part sucks. Still a beautiful place to live and the weather is phenomenal.

Wish there was more legal trail access (and more dirt biking and off-roading nearby)

i heard there was some pretty awesome dirt bike stuff in soquel. could be wrong though.
Really nice place to live, weather and location-wise, but the incessant crowds at every single wave and the hoards of silicon valley people up around UC on the weekends made it hard to want to go to school there (on top of it having not the best reputation among the UCs)
im sure socal is much worse though haha
The climate and coastal redwood forest definitely make it seem worth it when you are there. But the traffic is insane. If I want real DH trails it’s a 45 minute drive right now. I lived in live oak area my whole life and when I left it took 45 min to get 7 miles home from campus trails. I’ll never move to an impacted area again.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Simple solution! Only live where you can bike from home. I can ride tons of trails from my home and Aptos is a twenty minute drive (on weekends)

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Speaking of, oof Kingdom. Real shame what's been going down there.

We've been having somewhat similar here with people poaching private land trails. There's a few fire roads and access routes on privately owned land here, you need to cross them to ride the trails. If you have a trail pass, the owners allow it, but if you don't, you aren't paying your share and gtfo. A couple land owners are heavily considering closing their access points as there's so many people riding on their lands, littering, yelling at the owners when asked to leave, etc. There's been more than a few trespassing fines sent out.

My beef is the people poaching don't give a fun. Owner revoke the land use? Yeah they're still going to ride through. They're a*sholes. It's everyone that's already been paying for a pass that's going to get shafted.

In short, fuck people.

If I spoke French, Quebec would be nice. Really good riding scenes in there. Don't see a lot of coverage on their systems, but I have so many wide eyed customers come in telling me how amazing their trip was.

My friends and I do a yearly visit to Quebec. Riding is magical in those parts!!

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 19:42 Quote
Circe wrote:
Simple solution! Only live where you can bike from home. I can ride tons of trails from my home and Aptos is a twenty minute drive (on weekends)
I'm about to move to Felton too!

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Circe wrote:
I miss SC a lot. It’s not a bad place to be young, lay low, and keep your bike locked up in your bedroom. But not a good family town anymore. Extra tough for me cuz I’m 42 and I grew up bmx ing around town until after dark when I was a kid. Definitely nothing like that going on unless you’re packing bolt cutters and a few needles.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Circe wrote:

See you at Monty’s! Or, hollar for a beer when you ride up the quarry. You’ll see the Runner.

I love it here. Super quiet. Can leave my valuables out. No one f*cks with you. Neighbors are super chill.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 2:49 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
tom666 wrote:
I've seen that in London the price of rent has gone crazy in places that aren't even nice to live.

Central London has always been expensive, but in the last 20-30 years property in central has been bought up by million and billionaires as investments, it's often not even lived in. That's over time pushed people out into further and further out neighbourhoods where it's still nice but the rent is lower and you can commute in pretty fast...

... And then now it's expensive even to live in a shitty neighbourhood. One of my buddies is looking at living in Brixton or Tooting because that's kind of what he can afford. These are like some of the worst areas in London. This is where all the knife crime and muggings happen and he's about to pay like £1000 a month to live there lol

People are moving to the places where everyone says "oh that place is near to X and only one stop away from Y and you can get to Z quite quickly from there" - but they never talk about the place itself lol

London is plain retarded. The one bed apartment my sister bought with her boyfriend cost £318,000. And it's a cupboard!

Inlaws small holding of 8 acres a stable block and a couple of other out buildings sold for £350,000.

It's literally a joke. If you got a job that allowed you to work remotely and you moved from London to South Wales you'd literally feel like the richest man who ever lived

Ah well, people.and their choices. I'm happy up North. Abundance of trails and centres all around. And great people to boot.

People are super nice in Yorkshire and you have some amazing countryside in the north - Lake District particularly.

Shame about the weather

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 3:04 Quote
tom666 wrote:

People are super nice in Yorkshire and you have some amazing countryside in the north - Lake District particularly.

Shame about the weather

We're hardy, also means we ride in all weathers, fairweather riders can stay down south. Where they belong. Wink

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
A week or two ago I was asking you guys about the new Shimano cranks. I went ahead and bought the SLX cranks and ring. I knew the claimed total weight was heavier than the Race Face Aeffect R I had before, but I was fine with that because I want these to last for more than a month.

Turns out the cranks are a lot lighter, at 503g in 165mm, but the ring is an absolute porker at 124.2g in 30t, and has a total of eight bolts. If I had known that I probably would have just paid more for a wolftooth at half the weight. Either way, I'm impressed and cautiously optimistic about these cranks.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
165mm what is this a bike for ants?

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Most people ride cranks that are too long. 165mm works great for like half the humans.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
Axxe wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Most people ride cranks that are too long. 165mm works great for like half the humans.

I don't think it's politically correct to call short people "half the humans"

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
i ride xl frames and 165mm cranks. Shortness is a mental game for me

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019554
Mobile Version of Website