Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I would f*cking pay this guy to spend a week on pinkbike just for entertainment value.
He's intermittently around; https://m.pinkbike.com/u/pvd666/

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:

I scrolled through the "Recent" list on his profile. Eek

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 0:53 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
secondtimeuser wrote:

I scrolled through the "Recent" list on his profile. Eek

I think this quote from one of his comments sums it up pretty well: "You know who I am. You can see my portfolio over the past 20 years. I've proven I'm an expert. Read this again...and grow up."

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Gentlemen, let's be reasonable!

I haven't met Mr. Verdone. If he's even half as arrogant and insufferable as described, then that's very unfortunate. Even so, many of the world's greatest scientists, mathematicians, and leaders have been complete jerks. Having good ideas and being a decent human are separate matters. Let's try to separate the merits of the ideas from the personality.

It would also be fair to cut the man some slack on his riding ability. Just as it's possible for a top athlete to have zero clue how to design a bike, it's possible for a designer to have brilliant insights without being a strong rider. It's also possible the unconventional ideas are hindering the riding, which would be a separate matter.

This is not to say he is a brilliant designer, just separating the issues and saying he could be, despite everything else.

To quote Verdone.

"Of course, I rarely use commercially available frames these days as I demand a higher level of performance than most folks in the market. I design and build my own frames to take the ride to a much higher level. This is what I must do at this period in cycling. This should be embarrassing to the commercial and custom markets but they don’t care as long as they sell SKUs."

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
tom666 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I agree with everything you said, except I don't think anybody has said anything unfair or unreasonable.

Great bikes, talented designer and engineer, shithouse bloke.

Great bikes?

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:25 Quote
Circe wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I haven't met Mr. Verdone. If he's even half as arrogant and insufferable as described, then that's very unfortunate. Even so, many of the world's greatest scientists, mathematicians, and leaders have been complete jerks. Having good ideas and being a decent human are separate matters. Let's try to separate the merits of the ideas from the personality.

It would also be fair to cut the man some slack on his riding ability. Just as it's possible for a top athlete to have zero clue how to design a bike, it's possible for a designer to have brilliant insights without being a strong rider. It's also possible the unconventional ideas are hindering the riding, which would be a separate matter.

This is not to say he is a brilliant designer, just separating the issues and saying he could be, despite everything else.

To quote Verdone.

"Of course, I rarely use commercially available frames these days as I demand a higher level of performance than most folks in the market. I design and build my own frames to take the ride to a much higher level. This is what I must do at this period in cycling. This should be embarrassing to the commercial and custom markets but they don’t care as long as they sell SKUs."

Wow. Just wow. Absolute sterling human, clearly one of those guys surrounded by people, never too far to turn to find a friend.

Or pay's for sex through craigslist.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:49 Quote
Circe wrote:
tom666 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I agree with everything you said, except I don't think anybody has said anything unfair or unreasonable.

Great bikes, talented designer and engineer, shithouse bloke.

Great bikes?

Very nice details on them and high quality finish. Geo is interesting and different.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 1:58 Quote
The personality is abhorrent, but the ideas can still have merit and, as tom666 notes, the craftsmanship is solid.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
The other thing he does that I haven't really seen mentioned here is he'll document standards and post them on forums for other home builders. He seems like a bit of a dingus but I do respect that kind of open contribution.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Wow just went through his posts. What a shitty human. Not a single positive, non-arrogant, post.
Just wow.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
crs-one wrote:
The other thing he does that I haven't really seen mentioned here is he'll document standards and post them on forums for other home builders.

Yes, there's great references material on his site.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
I miss Team Robot.

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2014/12/more-ett-cornering-form.html

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
Yeah Team Robot was so good.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
My friend sent me this text about Peter Verdone earlier today:

"He designed a 'ground breaking new bike that is done right by and engineer and not a designer'. First ride out bike fell apart, wheel taco'd, broken clavicle."

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020241
Mobile Version of Website