Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Zwift..

Anyone else doing it? I hit 220 today and need to get some legs back underneath me..
It definitely takes some of the boredom out of riding a trainer, but riding a trainer still sucks.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Zwift..

Anyone else doing it? I hit 220 today and need to get some legs back underneath me..
It definitely takes some of the boredom out of riding a trainer, but riding a trainer still sucks.

I've been doing it over winter for a couple of years now, unfortunately for me most of my riding is done before work at 6/7am and round here the roads are too icy to risk it.

It takes some of the boredom out of it but to make the most of it you need a controllable trainer, a good playlist and a big fan

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
It's all about the setup.

I used to ride rollers and what not, but recently tried a friends direct-drive trainer and for once I felt like I could actually put the power down.

Problem is, most of the direct-drive trainers are spendy.

I recently noticed that Stac Zero was acquired by 4iiii which is a bummer because they had an affordable zero-contact trainer.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Direct drive is the only way to go... I used to get slippage all the time on my old trainer, and had to warranty the frame twice where it bent from having to tighten down the tensioner so much to try and keep it from slipping. Direct drive is way less drama and you'll never get any slip, plus they react way more quickly to resistance changes so it feels more realistic... I've noticed a lot of wheel on trainers seem like you're half way up a hill before they increase resistance, direct drive feel way better.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
I already have an old 55" TV hooked up to my computer and have a fan setup. I usually just grind away to bike movies or throw on a EDM youtube Playlist if I want to do some more intense rides.

But I think that the act of turning it into a game might make it less sucky too. Kinda sucks to buy a 3rd wheel off direct drive trainer since I have 2 sets of rollers and 2 dumb trainers already. but I have been having more and more customers at the shop asking me about zwift and its probably time to start using what I sell.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
I have been toying with the idea but for the 2 months of the year I cant ride it is hard to justify the expense.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I already have an old 55" TV hooked up to my computer and have a fan setup. I usually just grind away to bike movies or throw on a EDM youtube Playlist if I want to do some more intense rides.

But I think that the act of turning it into a game might make it less sucky too. Kinda sucks to buy a 3rd wheel off direct drive trainer since I have 2 sets of rollers and 2 dumb trainers already. but I have been having more and more customers at the shop asking me about zwift and its probably time to start using what I sell.
The game aspect of it is a bit passive and ultimately you're still just turning pedals grinding out miles but it acts as a great distraction. Neither Zwift nor Rouvy is really gonna change how boring it is in a huge way but it does a good job of small goals that keep you distracted from watching the clock and makes the miles go by faster. I won't pretend it makes it fun, but it definitely makes it less shitty. I've got a Cyclops H2 and it's been more trouble free than fluid trainers I've owned, it's way more stable when you're really cranking on it, and it doesn't eat tires which are all big pluses imo.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
I wish more spin clubs and crap offered freewheeling stationary bikes like the Stages SC1, Kickr, Tacx, Wattbike, etc.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

The game aspect of it is a bit passive and ultimately you're still just turning pedals grinding out miles but it acts as a great distraction. Neither Zwift nor Rouvy is really gonna change how boring it is in a huge way but it does a good job of small goals that keep you distracted from watching the clock and makes the miles go by faster. I won't pretend it makes it fun, but it definitely makes it less shitty. I've got a Cyclops H2 and it's been more trouble free than fluid trainers I've owned, it's way more stable when you're really cranking on it, and it doesn't eat tires which are all big pluses imo.

Don't you live in Southern California, where you can ride year round?

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
Circe wrote:
Don't you live in Southern California, where you can ride year round?
It rains sometimes in Southern Cali... lol

Actually, I moved to Florida and took the year off work last year after my old man had some complications with a heart surgery. Mostly sunny here but plenty of rainy days where it's useful, and more than a few brutally humid days where it's just preferable to riding outside.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
I don't think I'll be throwing down for a direct drive trainer.. I am thinking I'll play the bike shop shuffle game. Buy a basic smart wheel on one and see how I like it.

If I think its something I'll get into, I'll sell it and get a direct drive. Otherwise, my parents needed a new trainer for their through axle road bikes anyways.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
Graves back on Yeti. I have to say, I thought Graves might have been tainted a bit by all the rumors surrounding Rude's suspension, but I'm glad that true fans are willing to let the past be the past.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I don't think I'll be throwing down for a direct drive trainer.. I am thinking I'll play the bike shop shuffle game. Buy a basic smart wheel on one and see how I like it.

If I think its something I'll get into, I'll sell it and get a direct drive. Otherwise, my parents needed a new trainer for their through axle road bikes anyways.

I'd try the bkool if you could or one of the Tacx's they seem to be easy to get hold of with a decent EP price

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
radatabs wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I'd try the bkool if you could or one of the Tacx's they seem to be easy to get hold of with a decent EP price

I just bought a Saris.. We needed soming from QBP to hit freight, so did that. If I dig the zwift thing, I'll sell the wheel on trainer and buy a wheel off setup.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
Formula rear shock???

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031732
Mobile Version of Website