Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
Yes ..

Just has to be, paired up with fork

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
I'm into it. More companies making coils now. They just need to start making shorter eye-to-eye lengths for downcountry bikes.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm into it. More companies making coils now. They just need to start making shorter eye-to-eye lengths for downcountry bikes.

How short are you thinking? Cane Creek makes the inline down to a 190 x 40. Shorter than that or just like more options in those sizes?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
seraph wrote:
I'm into it. More companies making coils now. They just need to start making shorter eye-to-eye lengths for downcountry bikes.

How short are you thinking? Cane Creek makes the inline down to a 190 x 40. Shorter than that or just like more options in those sizes?

Yeah, more companies making short eye-to-eye.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 3:20 Quote
seraph wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
seraph wrote:
I'm into it. More companies making coils now. They just need to start making shorter eye-to-eye lengths for downcountry bikes.

How short are you thinking? Cane Creek makes the inline down to a 190 x 40. Shorter than that or just like more options in those sizes?

Yeah, more companies making short eye-to-eye.

Who else does a 190x50 coil?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
My buddies shop is the US distributor for EXT and apparently they have told him they would make a 190 x 37.5 (Yeti SB100 size) if requested but they can't make guarantees about fitment. So that is pretty interesting. He had a customer inquiring specifically about that size so I am sure other sizes in that range would be an option as well.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
37mm stroke? Jeez.

Downcountry right there.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
I think short coils (e.g. 50mm stroke) are stupid

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I think short coils (e.g. 50mm stroke) are stupid

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
It's all about oil volume and tune flexibility. I can see how a short coil might improve a XC bike with a short stroke for a heavier rider over limited tuning on an air shock, but I still haven't seen good data on exactly how much performance degrades on a short stroke coil, vs reservoir shock vs short stroke non-rez shock.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Manitou McLeod for heavier riders like myself, with people claiming its as close to a DH shock in a XC weight that you can get. Apparently the new Mara is even better.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I think short coils (e.g. 50mm stroke) are stupid

I don't.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
PHeller wrote:
It's all about oil volume and tune flexibility. I can see how a short coil might improve a XC bike with a short stroke for a heavier rider over limited tuning on an air shock, but I still haven't seen good data on exactly how much performance degrades on a short stroke coil, vs reservoir shock vs short stroke non-rez shock.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Manitou McLeod for heavier riders like myself, with people claiming its as close to a DH shock in a XC weight that you can get. Apparently the new Mara is even better.

I'm mostly interested in it for shorter travel bikes because of its consistent plushness. A lot of short travel bikes I've ridden have this initial shock stiction that makes it seem like they have even less travel than they do. And if you reduce the air volume they just bottom out too easily. So I think a progressive coil sounds nice.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
seraph wrote:
PHeller wrote:
It's all about oil volume and tune flexibility. I can see how a short coil might improve a XC bike with a short stroke for a heavier rider over limited tuning on an air shock, but I still haven't seen good data on exactly how much performance degrades on a short stroke coil, vs reservoir shock vs short stroke non-rez shock.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Manitou McLeod for heavier riders like myself, with people claiming its as close to a DH shock in a XC weight that you can get. Apparently the new Mara is even better.

I'm mostly interested in it for shorter travel bikes because of its consistent plushness. A lot of short travel bikes I've ridden have this initial shock stiction that makes it seem like they have even less travel than they do. And if you reduce the air volume they just bottom out too easily. So I think a progressive coil sounds nice.

Depends on the bike and leverage ratio. I can't use a progressive coil on my Endorphin but it works great with a regular linear coil spring.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
seraph wrote:
PHeller wrote:
It's all about oil volume and tune flexibility. I can see how a short coil might improve a XC bike with a short stroke for a heavier rider over limited tuning on an air shock, but I still haven't seen good data on exactly how much performance degrades on a short stroke coil, vs reservoir shock vs short stroke non-rez shock.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Manitou McLeod for heavier riders like myself, with people claiming its as close to a DH shock in a XC weight that you can get. Apparently the new Mara is even better.

I'm mostly interested in it for shorter travel bikes because of its consistent plushness. A lot of short travel bikes I've ridden have this initial shock stiction that makes it seem like they have even less travel than they do. And if you reduce the air volume they just bottom out too easily. So I think a progressive coil sounds nice.

This is usually because the initial stroke leverage ratio of XC bikes is super high, which means high pressures in the shocks for most riders, although the intended markets can usually do ok (150lbs riders). For the rest of us it's not ideal.

Obviously the leverage curve plays into this as well.

I kinda wrote about this in a little blog post a few years back: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/PHeller/blog/low-leverage-ratio-bikes.html

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
does anyone have time on a Marzocchi CR shock? wondering how the stock tune is, and how much you can firm up the LSC


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019018
Mobile Version of Website