Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
You guys are not even close to ready for that!! 2022 it will drop.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
Circe wrote:
Views: 1,138    Faves: 6    Comments: 3

Swann might be the most vocal about his skills, but I think crs-one takes the award for most skilled (slash humblest). Shoutout for making it on Movies for your Monday.

tytyty. Fun fact, the clip at 0:17 bent my cranks (a month or so after bending the first set), which is why I was in here a few weeks ago asking how strong various Shimano cranks are.

Side note - Shimano is doing themselves a disservice by quoting crank + ring weights for SLX/XT. The cranks are light as hell and the rings weigh a shitload. Just get arms + Wolftooth.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Side note - Shimano is doing themselves a disservice by quoting crank + ring weights for SLX/XT. The cranks are light as hell and the rings weigh a shitload. Just get arms + Wolftooth.

[P=https://r2-bike.com/media/image/product/166928/lg/shimano-deore-xt-crank-direct-mount-1x12-speed-fc-m8100-1-without-chainring~2.jpg size=m align=c][/P]

The freakin picture won't work. XT M8100 arms are 515g. SLX M7100 are 523g at roughly $50 cheaper.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
Yeah but then there would be almost zero difference for anyone to buy xt over slx.......

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
That's the thing, the XT ring is also heavy so the cranksets are within 10g of each other no matter how you measure. They should just lead with an arms + bolts weight tbh.

PHeller wrote:
The freakin picture won't work. XT M8100 arms are 515g. SLX M7100 are 523g at roughly $50 cheaper.

Mine (SLX 7100-1 165mm) were 503g - I went into the purchase thinking it would be more like 560g or so (though still worth if they last longer than two rides). That, plus the slightly narrower q-factor, were two unexpected bonuses.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
Agreed since that is what most other companies do I believe.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
True, this is one situation where I actually support the devious efforts to make components seem lighter than they are.

In defense of Shimano's chainring weights, they're steel, so they'll last several times as long.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
Does DT still make the supercomp spokes?
I built up the wheelset on my nomad with them, noticed on my last ride that 2 spokes on different parts of the rim had snapped. Had heard that when a wheel starts breaking spokes it’s best to relace it with all new spokes as more will probably snap soon from fatigue. True, or can I just replace the two spokes and keep riding? (I’ve only got 3 spare supercomps, can’t find them in 274mm in stock)

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 14:36 Quote
1. You can replace them with any spokes. I often replace with 2.0 mm spokes to take some load off the older neighbours.

2. Difficult to predict how the rest will hold up. Where did they fail? I'm guessing in the threads ... ?

3. In the era of tubes, I replaced one at a time. Now that we have to deal with tubeless tape, it may be worth doing the whole wheel.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
Should be fine. You may have to replace a few spokes in a year. I am fairly light on wheels though so...

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
I asked this in the 4X thread, might as well repeat here.

Any downsides to lacing up a dirt jump wheel with bladed spokes? I have some Sapim bladed spokes laying around. New spokes are surprisingly not cheap.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:05 Quote
Circe wrote:

Any downsides to lacing up a dirt jump wheel with bladed spokes? I have some Sapim bladed spokes laying around. New spokes are surprisingly not cheap.

Other than being a hassle to build, no.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:

Other than being a hassle to build, no.

I've not had a hard time building with bladed spokes. Just gotta know how to bend them.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
It's the extra step of having to hold them to avoid wind-up. Not terrible, but a hassle.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
It's the extra step of having to hold them to avoid wind-up. Not terrible, but a hassle.

Not a hassle at all. I always have a bladed spoke tool on my truing stand. Almost every road bike we sell has bladed spokes so it's always nearby.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019270
Mobile Version of Website