Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
What's the best resource for figuring out what weight spring I should run on a coil shock?
sherbet wrote:
Aside from asking R-M-R for personalized deets, TF Tuned has a good one.

You can do what I do:

• Create a model in Linkage
• Decide on the desired sag
• Determine the required spring force to produce this sag from the model; you can assume roughly ⅔ weight on the rear wheel
• Adjust the rate a little to compensate for the shape of the motion ratio curve near full bump

Typing up a question on a forum and having others tell me what weight spring I should run. Way less work.

Better idea; say you're about to run a spring rate that is definitely incorrect and wait for armchair dudes to correct you. Works a charm for IT advice in my experience.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
sherbet wrote:
[Better idea; say you're about to run a spring rate that is definitely incorrect and wait for armchair dudes to correct you. Works a charm for IT advice in my experience.

Never fails.

Maybe I'll start trading kinematics consultation for bike maintenance. I'll gladly chart the motion ratio curves of all the bikes you're considering while you bleed my brakes and overhaul my rear hub!

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
I just get what’s recommended and change later if I don’t like it. Rarely. One can adapt.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 16:20 Quote
That's the best way to do it if you're able; experience. That's the hardest thing about suggesting new bikes to people without knowing how they ride, their sizing, and so forth.

Just random shoutout, I've got a cycling discord group I haven't plugged in here in ages. Been up to about 1100 members at this point. Feel free to join if yah want.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
chunter wrote:
seraph wrote:
Hmm, on that one I get 640 lb for a VPP. The VALT comes in a 600 and a 650. Should I round up to 650?

On progressive springs I think you’re supposed to round down. Don’t quote me on that though

This isn't a progressive spring. Just the regular VALT, because the Tallboy is progressive by nature.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
I'd go 650... I've always found springs to be just under what they rate them to be so a 650 is probably really 640'ish.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 19:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I'd go 650... I've always found springs to be just under what they rate them to be so a 650 is probably really 640'ish.
It can go either way my man.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 22:09 Quote
I like lighter springs. But I don’t slam hard into things.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
Hey dudes and dudettes a little long and off topic but if any of you ride in the Santa Cruz mountains this should be important. They have the vert and terrain it might be something that happens in your kids lives but write some emails to these peeps please

A few updates. Gilroy City Council & Gilroy Gardens Study Session on Master Plan including the Hillside Adventure Park will take place February 18th, 2020 6pm at the Gilroy City Council Chambers. Public comment during the meeting is important to show support for this project, and get this project onto a future agenda for City Council to approve an "Agreement to Lease". This will allow Select Contracts to obtain investors and do an environmental analysis. This project will be entirely paid for by the developer.

The City of Gilroy Bicycle Pedestrian Commission PASSED the following motion at their regular meeting on September 24, 2019. Gilroy BPAC “Recommend the City of Gilroy or Gilroy Gardens enter into an Agreement to Lease with Select Contracts for the Adventure Park Proposal” Recommendation has been forwarded to Gilroy City Council.

To date we have received over 200 emailed public comments to both the City Council and Bicycle Pedestrian Commission. We currently have letters of support from Santa Clara County Parks, Gilroy Chamber of Commerce, Gilroy Economic Development Corporation, Garlic City BMX, Bike Therapy, and South County Composite Mountain Bike Team. More will follow. Bay Area Ridge Trail, Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers, and Trailhead Cyclery have all spoken in public comment about their support. 15 people spoke in public comment in support of the project at our meeting.

You can follow this project and us on social media #GilroyBPAC and searching Gilroy Bike Ped on any search engine.

https://youtu.be/hdWyVvmdDSM Select Contracts Presentation to Council August 6, 2019
https://youtu.be/zQxQ1FSE-XU Public Comment Audio to City of Gilroy Bicycle Pedestrian Commission Meeting Sept 24, 2019

Zachary Hilton
Chair, Gilroy Bicycle Pedestrian Commission
http://www.cityofgilroy.org/280/Bicycle-Pedestrian-Commission
#GilroyBPAC @hoseman16

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
What’s the email address and what am I saying? Have you contacted MBOSC and requested they ping their email list, asking for emails or folks to attend?

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
Hey there this was originally from mbosc so I hope they spread it around but 200 emails is sad when I know about 20 of them that were sent

Please consider attending the meeting or writing a letter to both the commission and Gilroy City Council by tomorrow, Sep 24! Send letters to both:
AllCouncilMembers@ci.gilroy.ca.us
BicyclePedestrianCommissioners@ci.gilroy.ca.us
It’s best to write your own letter, but if you are pressed for time here is a sample letter. It's easy - just copy/paste, add a personal touch, and send the email now!

To the Gilroy Bicycle Pedestrian Commission and City Council,

I support the Adventure Park in Gilroy because it will be a positive project in the region for people that bike, hike, and enjoy the outdoors. It will provide a benefit to our local community and attract tourism to the city. The park would be an amazing resource for local high school mountain bike teams, mountain bike enthusiasts, new riders, hikers, and those who enjoy emerging trends in recreation. There is not another project like this in the region. Gilroy is a Bicycle Friendly Community and the Adventure Park supports the 2018 Tourism in the Hecker Pass Corridor Resolution. Please approve this amazing project!

Sincerely,
[Your Name Here]
[Where You Live]

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 21:24 Quote
Anyone have much time on a Helm 29 air? Can these be swapped back n forth from air to coil?

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
Anyone tried to set up a Saint/Zee mech with an 11-42 cassette?

Was thinking that a goatlink would work to get the mech in the right position, but unsure if the cage is long enough to take up the slack of 6 extra teeth.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 2:35 Quote
Zee mech with goatlink or Rad/Radr cage and 42t cassette was fairly common setup back in the 10spd day.
It'll work fine. Just make sure you have FR version, not the DH one. The former is fine, the latter is too short

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 3:26 Quote
Will it work without the radr cage, just the goat link? Can’t find one for sale online.

I was also looking into derailleur shift ratios and noticed that Shimano 11-speed is ~1.1 ratio, and 10-speed is 1.2.
Is it possible to use a 11-speed shifter with a 10-speed dérailleur if the ratios are that close? I imagine it would be exactly 1.1mm out when shifting across the cassette, which is not perfect but probably close enough to work?

Thanks for the input!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018976
Mobile Version of Website