Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
riish wrote:
Will it work without the radr cage, just the goat link? Can’t find one for sale online.

I was also looking into derailleur shift ratios and noticed that Shimano 11-speed is ~1.1 ratio, and 10-speed is 1.2.
Is it possible to use a 11-speed shifter with a 10-speed dérailleur if the ratios are that close? I imagine it would be exactly 1.1mm out when shifting across the cassette, which is not perfect but probably close enough to work?

Thanks for the input!

You can use a 10speed xtr and Saint derailleurs with 11 speed shifters. I have run both with no issue.
Running a Saint rear der with an xtr 11 speed shifter currently on my Delirium but with an 11-32 ultegra cassette.
The goat link and Saint should work for what you want to do.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 5:22 Quote
riish wrote:
Will it work without the radr cage, just the goat link? Can’t find one for sale online.

I was also looking into derailleur shift ratios and noticed that Shimano 11-speed is ~1.1 ratio, and 10-speed is 1.2.
Is it possible to use a 11-speed shifter with a 10-speed dérailleur if the ratios are that close? I imagine it would be exactly 1.1mm out when shifting across the cassette, which is not perfect but probably close enough to work?

Thanks for the input!

Managed to make mine work without goat and link and no cage.... but it was a HT

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 21:32 Quote
dchill wrote:
riish wrote:

Thanks for the input!

You can use a 10speed xtr and Saint derailleurs with 11 speed shifters. I have run both with no issue.
Running a Saint rear der with an xtr 11 speed shifter currently on my Delirium but with an 11-32 ultegra cassette.
The goat link and Saint should work for what you want to do.

Perfect, thanks! I was tossing up between going to GX Eagle or 12-speed Shimano, but I don’t really need more climbing gears, just want to be able to run a bigger chainring than my 30/11-36 is allowing. So 34/11-42 should work ok for that.

Plus, I have two m820 mechs so want to get some use out of them instead of buying a newer mech Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 0:25 Quote
riish wrote:
Anyone tried to set up a Saint/Zee mech with an 11-42 cassette?

Was thinking that a goatlink would work to get the mech in the right position, but unsure if the cage is long enough to take up the slack of 6 extra teeth.

Saint shifter, zee+radcage derr, 11-42 deore cassette, and 11s 105chain, 30t up front. Works perfectly, and if the rear is damaged, it's fairly cheap to replace.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
What? This thread is actually about weight recently? Whoa...

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Off topic in this thread is more valuable than on topic gibberish

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
In 2012 when this thread started, when most peoples bikes were 35lbs and up, weight game was a hot topic. The “weight game” part of this thread self destructed when everyone realized somewhere around 30lbs +or- was ideal for comfortable up hill and stable and durable down hill at speed. Still one of the best threads with knowledge people and interesting subject matter.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
Some of us still dream of hitting 30lbs with available budgets and bike preferences, heh. This thread has some great nuggets of wisdom in it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Has certainly made an impact on my wallet lol
..in a good way to be fair

Nothing but beneficial for me, appreciate the community vibe. It works

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Ordered my frame for my MTB project, should ship out sometime next week. Tallboy 4 in Stormbringer Purple. Mix of Enve, Whisky, SRAM, Rockshox, Cane Creek, Teravail, and Raceface components. A couple of odd parts here and there from uncommon manufacturers, just to keep it fresh. Projected weight is around 25-27 lbs.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
Concur with CSjeremy. I used to comment a lot on the sub 30lb DJ/street thread and was well into the weight game 2010 through until about 2015.

Weight used to be a problem with bikes and there used to be a lot of good tips and tricks for dropping weight - some bikes and components that were ahead of their time and some decent mods you could make to regular components to drop weight. Used to be a big thing that everybody on here would weigh components and take scale shots to compare and contrast with other parts. Eventually we all figured out what offered the best performance to weight to value and everybody started buying the best stuff.

These days pretty much all bikes are a decent weight right out the box. DJ bikes are 25-26lbs stock which used to be really hard to achieve. Doppers, better geometry, better suspension kinematics and 50t chainrings have also made it easy to pedal a 35lb bike so that weight isn't such an issue. Most people actually welcome a bit of heft for the stability and durability.

You can make pretty much any Enduro bike sub 30 if you drop $ on carbon everything and a high end drivetrain. It's just a matter of putting up the cash. Apart from the odd crazy dude like dangerholm (bicycle_rider??) pretty much nobody goes above and beyond to drill holes in shit and perform operations with Dr.Dremel - it's an expensive and time consuming game that yields little reward unless you take it far enough to gain notoriety for it.

This thread and threads like it are still full of knowledge though from guys who've been in the game a long time and it's cool that it still exists.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
I would argue bikes are getting heavier. Aside from Scott and ibis, most brands don’t care about weight. Remember that frame weight Iggz posted of his Yeti? FML. Brand new Carbon wonder bike at 8 lbs? Santa Cruz’s weigh about the same.

Add big wheels, big tires (with proper sidewalls), them new Enduro bikes are like 34 lbs! Which ironically, is where we were ten years ago, when this thread started.

We don’t talk about weight anymore because weight is dead.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 13:27 Quote
They're getting heavier I suspect as a function of getting bigger. Longer frame tubes, more weight. Bigger rims, more weight. Bigger tyres, more weight. All making the bike ride better, but geometry changes have outstripped material science in the past 5 years.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
Ordered my frame for my MTB project, should ship out sometime next week. Tallboy 4 in Stormbringer Purple. Mix of Enve, Whisky, SRAM, Rockshox, Cane Creek, Teravail, and Raceface components. A couple of odd parts here and there from uncommon manufacturers, just to keep it fresh. Projected weight is around 25-27 lbs.

I'm gana need a scale shot of that!
Sounds like an awesome build... I have a great time when I take the tallboy out for a ride in Bend.

I'm hoping to get an XTR kit tallboy this year for a shop bike. Something sub 30lbs is ideal to rip trail in Bend

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Circe wrote:
I would argue bikes are getting heavier. Aside from Scott and ibis, most brands don’t care about weight. Remember that frame weight Iggz posted of his Yeti? FML. Brand new Carbon wonder bike at 8 lbs? Santa Cruz’s weigh about the same.

Add big wheels, big tires (with proper sidewalls), them new Enduro bikes are like 34 lbs! Which ironically, is where we were ten years ago, when this thread started.

We don’t talk about weight anymore because weight is dead.

New Specialized Enduro is 7.9lbs (3.6kg) full carbon.

Scott Ransom is 5.9lbs (2.65kg) with the same travel front and rear and intended for exactly the same thing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019099
Mobile Version of Website