Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
chunter wrote:
Call me crazy, but I see zero point in a Fox 34. It’s lighter, sure, but the damping isn’t any where near what you can get in a 36
Heavy dudes on more xc type bikes.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
There’s bound to be a GRIP damper 34 in the works.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:
So talking weight.

160mm 29er Lyrik Ultimate vs 160mm 29er Pike Ultimate?

I weigh 170lbs and the Shore is my backyard. No hucking big drops or jumps, just regular trail.

For a none clyde non bike park hucker what does the extra weight really gain?

A smaller buddy of mine chose a pike over lyric to shave some weight and he rides hard but cant notice the difference. Go check out the jump to flat montage from pinkbikes bike reviews and you can see a big difference in flex though from small to larger fork.

Just catching up on the thread. Thought I would add one vote for the lyric. I am a bit bigger at 210 lbs but at 170 you're not tiny. I have a lyric and a pike both at 160.the lyric is so much mire confident and smooth. The pike flexes more and this interfere with smooth compression of the fork. I ride on the shore lots, if you are doing real blacks (not espresso) the lyric will be worth the weight Imo.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 1:07 Quote
I weigh 190lb, ride a lot of rough trails with the odd huck thrown in. Every fork I've owned has eventually developed a creaking crown, so I'd be going for the Lyrik to minimise fork flex and premature wear.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 4:59 Quote
riish wrote:
I weigh 190lb, ride a lot of rough trails with the odd huck thrown in. Every fork I've owned has eventually developed a creaking crown, so I'd be going for the Lyrik to minimise fork flex and premature wear.

the Manitou Mezzer is worth a look. Stiffer and more plush then my Helm air, Pike, DVO diamond. Have it on my park bike and love it. I was going to go with a dc but the Mezzer is just so damn good.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 5:08 Quote
I've been able to keep fixing my 36 by using anaerobic loctite between stanchions/crown and crown/steerer every few months. I'll check out the mezzer when the 36 finally dies, thanks for the suggestion!

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
My Fox 34 has been fine, but I'm not super picky about dampers. It was also massively improved by a dual-stage air cartridge.

From what I've been reading, the FIT4 works better with coil as well. Nobody is throwing a coil in a Fox 34, but its weird how shitty dampers work better with better spring systems. I saw a review of the Marz Z1 coil with GRIP sweep and they said it might be one of the best forks available...even better than a GRIP2 36. A guy whom I trust to unbiased who's had the Z1 Coil and Mezzer even kinda liked his Z1 better - the Mezzer should have a superior damper.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
rahrider wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:
So talking weight.

160mm 29er Lyrik Ultimate vs 160mm 29er Pike Ultimate?

I weigh 170lbs and the Shore is my backyard. No hucking big drops or jumps, just regular trail.

For a none clyde non bike park hucker what does the extra weight really gain?

A smaller buddy of mine chose a pike over lyric to shave some weight and he rides hard but cant notice the difference. Go check out the jump to flat montage from pinkbikes bike reviews and you can see a big difference in flex though from small to larger fork.

Just catching up on the thread. Thought I would add one vote for the lyric. I am a bit bigger at 210 lbs but at 170 you're not tiny. I have a lyric and a pike both at 160.the lyric is so much mire confident and smooth. The pike flexes more and this interfere with smooth compression of the fork. I ride on the shore lots, if you are doing real blacks (not espresso) the lyric will be worth the weight Imo.

My goto lap is Bookwus to Lower Oil Can to Digger. Only time I ride Expresso is to do the course marking for a Fiver. Good info on the Pike flex affecting compression.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
PHeller wrote:
My Fox 34 has been fine, but I'm not super picky about dampers. It was also massively improved by a dual-stage air cartridge.

From what I've been reading, the FIT4 works better with coil as well. Nobody is throwing a coil in a Fox 34, but its weird how shitty dampers work better with better spring systems. I saw a review of the Marz Z1 coil with GRIP sweep and they said it might be one of the best forks available...even better than a GRIP2 36. A guy whom I trust to unbiased who's had the Z1 Coil and Mezzer even kinda liked his Z1 better - the Mezzer should have a superior damper.

I think my next fork will be a Z1 coil with a GRIP2 damper installed. They take a long time to dial in, but I think with a coil spring it’ll be amazing

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
rahrider wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

My goto lap is Bookwus to Lower Oil Can to Digger. Only time I ride Expresso is to do the course marking for a Fiver. Good info on the Pike flex affecting compression.

If those are your trails, the lyric is the fork for you. The pike is at the end of its depth on those trails. My wife is 120lbs and I might change my answer for her but not at 170 and riding shore regularly. This all being said, my wife has a 36 on her megatower and I don't feel bad about it.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
Anyone experience hand numbness on mostly flat trails or smooth climbs and what did you do to resolve it?

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Anyone experience hand numbness on mostly flat trails or smooth climbs and what did you do to resolve it?

For me it was either resolved by rolling my bars a bit differently or switching to gloves with no padding.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Oh yeah all the time. I just man up and ride the bike.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Seat too high bar too low. Also saddle angled with the nose down too much

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Having the same problem.

I was told to try tilting your seat up a bit and also try moving it back.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.059968
Mobile Version of Website