Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
I've always been a big proponent of this train of thought:

1) Most of us don't race
2) At least 90% of us could be significantly fitter cardiovascularly than we are.
3) Lots of us are either overweight or skinny and could massively improve our power per kilo with some training and changes in body composition.

If we all rode a ~90 minute loop today and repeated it after several months of training full time most of us could take like 10-30 minutes off our time at least. We could all do it way faster.

With that in mind - it makes way more sense to buy a bike based on fun factor, looks, maintenance factors and stability/capability.

Ironically the only people who should really care about 2lbs of weight are pros - because they're the only people who are near enough their performance ceiling that the weight really matters - but pros actually ride whatever their sponsor gives them and very few of them seem to give 2 figs about weight. Nor do the lightest EWS bikes regularly top the podium.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
tom666 wrote:

1) Most of us don't race
2) At least 90% of us could be significantly fitter cardiovascularly than we are.
3) Lots of us are either overweight or skinny and could massively improve our power per kilo with some training and changes in body composition.

If we all rode a ~90 minute loop today and repeated it after several months of training full time most of us could take like 10-30 minutes off our time at least. We could all do it way faster.

With that in mind - it makes way more sense to buy a bike based on fun factor, looks, maintenance factors and stability/capability.

Ironically the only people who should really care about 2lbs of weight are pros - because they're the only people who are near enough their performance ceiling that the weight really matters - but pros actually ride whatever their sponsor gives them and very few of them seem to give 2 figs about weight. Nor do the lightest EWS bikes regularly top the podium.

You must be new here.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
tom666 wrote:

1) Most of us don't race

Some of us are actually sensitive to weight. I can notice a 2 lb weight difference on a full suspension mountain bike. It will behave differently in rough terrain and while in the air.

On a road bike it's not as noticeable. My new gravel bike ended up weighing 23 lbs and I can still charge just as fast up the hill as I can on my carbon road bike.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
Circe wrote:
I would argue bikes are getting heavier. Aside from Scott and ibis, most brands don’t care about weight. Remember that frame weight Iggz posted of his Yeti? FML. Brand new Carbon wonder bike at 8 lbs? Santa Cruz’s weigh about the same.

Add big wheels, big tires (with proper sidewalls), them new Enduro bikes are like 34 lbs! Which ironically, is where we were ten years ago, when this thread started.

We don’t talk about weight anymore because weight is dead.
I'd argue bikes are better for it though... pushing the weight down was fun but you rarely hear about widespread issues from things being badly underbuilt for the type of riding they're intended to see and, overall, bike performance is pretty incredible right now.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
I was a uuuge weight weenie twenty years ago. Don’t care much now.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
nubbs wrote:
seraph wrote:
Projected weight is around 25-27 lbs.

I'm gana need a scale shot of that!

Me too. Hope you can get down that low, but the ones I'm seeing are in the 28-30 range. I'm digging the purple - good choice. Great bike.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
kwapik wrote:
nubbs wrote:
seraph wrote:

Me too. Hope you can get down that low, but the ones I'm seeing are in the 28-30 range. I'm digging the purple - good choice. Great bike.

Jesus. My buddies XT Ripley is 27 lbs.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Just sold Dad's 2015 Sworks Enduro 29... It was 28.9lbs for an XL 29er with 160mm of travel.

We just built a Large 2020 Sworks Stumpjumper 29 with Full AXS and EEwings... 29.3lbs for less travel than the enduro.

So back in my Yeti fanboy days, I built my SB66 up with a 5th Element coil shock, Full DH wheels and tires, and a chain guide since N/W and clutch derailleurs were not a thing yet..

It was 35lbs and everyone lost their mind over how heavy it was.... But it was so damn fun and burly.. Seems that is exactly where we are now but just with more aggressive geometry and bigger wheels.

We also have to go over the fact that bikes are way more capable now than they were years ago.. A 2020 Enduro 29 is a way more capable DH Bike than my 10 year old Intense M9.. So bikes may not be getting lighter, they are definitely becoming lighter compared to how capable they are.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Circe wrote:
I would argue bikes are getting heavier. Aside from Scott and ibis, most brands don’t care about weight. Remember that frame weight Iggz posted of his Yeti? FML. Brand new Carbon wonder bike at 8 lbs? Santa Cruz’s weigh about the same.

Add big wheels, big tires (with proper sidewalls), them new Enduro bikes are like 34 lbs! Which ironically, is where we were ten years ago, when this thread started.

We don’t talk about weight anymore because weight is dead.

New Specialized Enduro is 7.9lbs (3.6kg) full carbon.

Scott Ransom is 5.9lbs (2.65kg) with the same travel front and rear and intended for exactly the same thing.

The BB DT area on the enduro is like 6” wide (probably exaggeration) but it looks like an e bike. No way to make that much mass very light. I had a online review induced stiffy for that bike until I saw it. It’s ugly.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
Circe wrote:
Remember that frame weight Iggz posted of his Yeti? FML.

Hah!

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
Rode a sentinel this week and bike shreds!

got a smuggler V1 and that bike totally rips (but Magic mary front and verdict rear is like a parachute on the ups) stocked on the new bike

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
its-chris wrote:
Rode a sentinel this week and bike shreds!

got a smuggler V1 and that bike totally rips (but Magic mary front and verdict rear is like a parachute on the ups) stocked on the new bike

Smugglers are sweet. So stocked for you man.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:43 Quote
I've really been contemplating building up a Smuggler for shits & gigs - Looks like a rippin' lil rig!

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 0:50 Quote
kwapik wrote:
nubbs wrote:
seraph wrote:

Well my Stumpjumper Pro was 30 lbs with 2.6 tires, a 36, 150/140 travel, and an X01 AXS kit with Guide RS brakes. So I figure a bike with less travel, lighter brakes, and lighter rubber could easily weigh 2-3 lbs less.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 6:42 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
I've really been contemplating building up a Smuggler for shits & gigs - Looks like a rippin' lil rig!

It is!! Can’t believe it only has 110mm on the rear! Bike just keep asking for more

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019007
Mobile Version of Website