Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
Maxxis is the only company that bothered to make a big deal about it, but the same applies to almost every wide, modern tire. Any tire intended for wide rims has to have more tread wrap. Put a highly wrapped tire on a narrow rim and you'll never engage the side lugs. That's all there is to it. Not only are the lugs too far down the sidewalls, but a large tire with insufficient rim support will deflect under lateral load, making it even more difficult to engage the side lugs. The good news is that the tire will still work fairly well. The combination that doesn't work is minimally wrapped tread on super wide rims, as you'll lean beyond the lugs and onto the sidewall, instantly resulting in a crash.

If you want to run a wide tire on a narrow rim, ideal choices are tires with minimal tread wrap; decent choices are tires with staggered side lugs or intermediate lateral lugs. Examples include:

• WTB: Breakout 2.5", Trail Boss 2.4", Vigilante 2.5".
• e*thirteen: Anything from their previous generation in 2.35"
• Vittoria: Martello 2.35", Morsa 2.3", Mota 2.35"
• Goodyear: Newton 2.4", Newton ST 2.4"
• Hutchinson: Toro 2.35"
• Continental: Rubber Queen / Trail King 2.4" (previous version)
• Maxxis: Rekon 2.4", Forekaster 2.35", Minion SS 2.5"

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:00 Quote
riish wrote:
What happens when mounting one of those WT Maxxis tyres on a 25mm (internal) width rim? My LBS says they're unusable and too rounded, however one of my mates who works as a shop mech says it's fine and won't make a difference. Anyone have an input either way?
The narrower rim is going to increase the sidewall height a bit and maybe make them squirm a bit more under hard riding
and you'll have a greater lean angle to hit the cornering knobs but definitely not "unstable".

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
Wouldn't surprise me. My other options instead of WT doubledown tyres are the SG Magic Mary, or the E13 DH tyres (which are on sale here, very tempted to try them out)

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:21 Quote
e*thirteen tires are perfect for narrow rims, especially the previous generation, which is probably what's on sale.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Maxxis is the only company that bothered to make a big deal about it, but the same applies to almost every wide, modern tire. Any tire intended for wide rims has to have more tread wrap. Put a highly wrapped tire on a narrow rim and you'll never engage the side lugs. That's all there is to it. Not only are the lugs too far down the sidewalls, but a large tire with insufficient rim support will deflect under lateral load, making it even more difficult to engage the side lugs. The good news is that the tire will still work fairly well. The combination that doesn't work is minimally wrapped tread on super wide rims, as you'll lean beyond the lugs and onto the sidewall, instantly resulting in a crash.

If you want to run a wide tire on a narrow rim, ideal choices are tires with minimal tread wrap; decent choices are tires with staggered side lugs or intermediate lateral lugs. Examples include:

• WTB: Breakout 2.5", Trail Boss 2.4", Vigilante 2.5".
• e*thirteen: Anything from their previous generation in 2.35"
• Vittoria: Martello 2.35", Morsa 2.3", Mota 2.35"
• Goodyear: Newton 2.4", Newton ST 2.4"
• Hutchinson: Toro 2.35"
• Continental: Rubber Queen / Trail King 2.4" (previous version)
• Maxxis: Rekon 2.4", Forekaster 2.35", Minion SS 2.5"

Thanks (as always) for the detailed response! Those e13's are looking better and better to me.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
riish wrote:
Thanks (as always) for the detailed response! Those e13's are looking better and better to me.

As they should be! They're super "square" or "flat" on wide rims, which is exactly what you need on your narrow rims. The photo below is with at 25 mm rim.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 1:16 Quote
What lightweight options are available to replace an SX cassette?

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 1:17 Quote
I ordered a LG1 DH Plus for the rear and Race for the front, I guessed the dual ply DH would be similar to a SG/DD tyre.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 1:21 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:

If it has to be 12-speed and HG freehub, then Garbaruk make a 320g 11-52 cassette. Actually reasonably priced compared to a lightweight eagle cassette.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
riish wrote:
I ordered a LG1 DH Plus for the rear and Race for the front, I guessed the dual ply DH would be similar to a SG/DD tyre.

I'm not sure of all the construction details for the e*thirteen, but it's marketed as a full DH casing and the weight is on par with full DH tires from Maxxis and Schwalbe, so it should be burlier than a DoubleDown or Super Gravity.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 4:16 Quote
riish wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

If it has to be 12-speed and HG freehub, then Garbaruk make a 320g 11-52 cassette. Actually reasonably priced compared to a lightweight eagle cassette.

Cheers I'll look that up. My rear wheel weights a ton, most of it being the cassette.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
SX cassette weighs 615g - around the same as the NX

XTR 9100 is 370g

Garbaruk's 320g

Eek

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 5:56 Quote
tom666 wrote:

XTR 9100 is 370g

Garbaruk's 320g

Eek

A note that 320g Garbaruk is for Shimano HG body & second it can only be used for 12sp Shimano drivetrains.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 6:08 Quote
tom666 wrote:

XTR 9100 is 370g

Garbaruk's 320g

Eek

This is massive difference. And a very good place to save weight. I'm thinking about Garbaruk when current GX wears out

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
fantaman wrote:
tom666 wrote:

XTR 9100 is 370g

Garbaruk's 320g

Eek

A note that 320g Garbaruk is for Shimano HG body & second it can only be used for 12sp Shimano drivetrains.

Thats nice for people who dont have microspline/dont want to switch to microspline

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019249
Mobile Version of Website