Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
chunter wrote:
dchill wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Aggressor rear is a good match up with assegai front. I put a specialized butcher on the rear when its super wet and that works pretty good too.
DHF on the rear is pretty slow rolling but if you want a lot of grip its nice

it's for my park/dh rig so that might not be a bad thing.

Assegai/DHF is a sweet combo for park. I ran that in Northstar last summer

Another combination that works well is the Assegai & Dissector on the rear

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Here's where I first discussed it on Pinkbike. Hopefully, it will give you enough guidance to work though it yourself; if not, we'll discuss further.

Your explanation in the other thread is great. The math helps better understand it.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
PHeller wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
There's no such thing as a rear tire, only ex-front tires that are living out their final days.
I'm just learning this now, unfortunately. In the past I always rode what came on bikes or what I had on hand.

I'm being a bit flippant when I say that, because there will be times when there's little option other than a new tire for the rear. Whenever practical, though, it's nice to run fresh fronts and let the old front become a perfectly decent rear.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
dchill wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
tom666 wrote:
HR2 probably has similar grip to the aggressor.

HR2 has more traction than the Aggressor. The weakness of the HR2 is the side lugs can fold when heavily loaded on hard ground. It's especially good on soft ground and sheds mud fairly well.

I like the Assguy up front. Extremely grippy. As a rear it is slow. Trying to find a good rear to match it. One of our distros has DHF wt 2.5 on sale for half off of cost. Which is silly cheap

Using them on Flow EX3 rims

That ASS/DHF would be a good setup if you're going for grip. For a bike that gets uplifted or for winter riding that would be really nice.

DHR2/AGG would be much faster rolling but with less grip also. More of an all round setup.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
tom666 wrote:
dchill wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

HR2 has more traction than the Aggressor. The weakness of the HR2 is the side lugs can fold when heavily loaded on hard ground. It's especially good on soft ground and sheds mud fairly well.

I like the Assguy up front. Extremely grippy. As a rear it is slow. Trying to find a good rear to match it. One of our distros has DHF wt 2.5 on sale for half off of cost. Which is silly cheap

That ASS/DHF would be a good setup if you're going for grip. For a bike that gets uplifted or for winter riding that would be really nice.

DHR2/AGG would be much faster rolling but with less grip also. More of an all round setup.

I would disagree with the last sentence. The DHRII and DHF have the exact same side knobs so same side/turning grip and the DHRII has better shaped center lugs for more traction for braking or climbing.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
tom666 wrote:
dchill wrote:

I would disagree with the last sentence. The DHRII and DHF have the exact same side knobs so same side/turning grip and the DHRII has better shaped center lugs for more traction for braking or climbing.

I wasn't clear. First setup is a Assegai front, DHF rear. Second setup DHR2 front, aggressor rear.

I think the second setup would have a bit less grip but would roll a lot faster.

I'm aware the side knobs are the same on the DHR2 and DHF Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
tom666 wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear. First setup is a Assegai front, DHF rear. Second setup DHR2 front, aggressor rear.

I think the second setup would have a bit less grip but would roll a lot faster.

I'm aware the side knobs are the same on the DHR2 and DHF Smile

Oh ok, that makes more sense.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
I put my (new never ridden) Aggressor 2.5 up for sale. $38 shipped anywhere in Lower 48.

Maybe someone with more front tires than I can put it to good use. I need more front tires.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
So my e13 tyres showed up today. After 4 years on DHF's and Magic Mary it'll be sick to try something new out.
The compound seems stickier yet with a harder base to the sideknobs than any tyres I've looked at previously.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
riish wrote:
So my e13 tyres showed up today. After 4 years on DHF's and Magic Mary it'll be sick to try something new out.
The compound seems stickier yet with a harder base to the sideknobs than any tyres I've looked at previously.

You’re in for a treat. E13s are some of my favorite tires. Incredible side knobs.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
Yeah, those side knobs are huge! Seems like they’ll engage really quickly compared to other tyres I’ve run.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
riish wrote:
You’re in for a treat. E13s are some of my favorite tires. Incredible side knobs.

If you have the right rims for it - and it sounds like you do - I don't know anyone who dislikes them.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
riish wrote:

If you have the right rims for it - and it sounds like you do - I don't know anyone who dislikes them.
I ran a set of the original design for a season. Insane grip and I loved them but they kind of died fast. Not old schwalbe fast but they were useless after one season. How different is the shape / feel of the updated version? If anyones used both.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
I loved my original e thirteen tires, the second generation sucked, they made them flatter and they had casing issues, sealant leaking through, super easy punctures, lots of weird shit. Don’t know what generation they’re on now because I moved on after having terrible experiences with that generation of tires from them, if they just made the originals again I’d be stoked.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:43 Quote
theweaz wrote:
I loved my original e thirteen tires, the second generation sucked, they made them flatter and they had casing issues, sealant leaking through, super easy punctures, lots of weird shit. Don’t know what generation they’re on now because I moved on after having terrible experiences with that generation of tires from them, if they just made the originals again I’d be stoked.

They were rounder, then flatter, now back to rounder? I wasn't aware of a mold change for Gen 2.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019340
Mobile Version of Website