Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
theweaz wrote:
I loved my original e thirteen tires, the second generation sucked, they made them flatter and they had casing issues, sealant leaking through, super easy punctures, lots of weird shit. Don’t know what generation they’re on now because I moved on after having terrible experiences with that generation of tires from them, if they just made the originals again I’d be stoked.

Was the sealant leaking through a known issue or just one you had experienced? I ask because the exo+ tires my Megatower came with were seeping and loosing all pressure overnight but I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Not old schwalbe fast but they were useless after one season.

Damn... out of curiosity how often do you ride?

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
theweaz wrote:
I loved my original e thirteen tires, the second generation sucked, they made them flatter and they had casing issues, sealant leaking through, super easy punctures, lots of weird shit. Don’t know what generation they’re on now because I moved on after having terrible experiences with that generation of tires from them, if they just made the originals again I’d be stoked.

Was the sealant leaking through a known issue or just one you had experienced? I ask because the exo+ tires my Megatower came with were seeping and loosing all pressure overnight but I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

In my experience, the 2nd generation was still awesome, just not as awesome as the original. The compound was biggest difference for me. I also had a seeping sidewall, but it only happened once with Muc Off sealant in really weird weather. Don’t know if the weather was a factor, but I never had problems with my usual Orange seal. The only problems I had with flats were after I had sheared a side knob. I’ve been doing that at a lot lately it seems though. I’d love to try the latest generation, but I’m on a Hellkat much right now. Also awesome tires.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Before we get into a competition over how quickly our radness leads to dead tires, let's keep in mind variables of rider weight, terrain, and our thresholds for tire replacement.

Wear rate is not linear. The heaviest rider I know can wreck side lugs in a weekend at a bike park. For me, at a fairly average weight and very similar pace, the same tire looks fine after the same weekend.

Abrasive rocks are vicious. Tires show considerable wear after a single ride on slickrock or steep limestone. A tire might last multiple seasons on the soft sand trails in some regions of the Okanagan (interior BC). And fatbike tires oxidize before they wear out!

Some folks like fresh tires and some run them down to the casing. I can tell a tire isn't as good as it once was after only a few days, but I'll run it until it's getting sketchy. One of my friends will run a front tire far longer than I'll run a rear and he runs rear tires until they look like road slicks.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

That was two 15 to 20 mile rides a week. I’m not hard on tires or rims. To be fair after that interval the rear was dead and front was still pretty good. Used the front as a rear for a while after that. I was only about four years into riding so I probably dragged brake quite a bit back then. Great tire for me back then at my skill level with its mega grip cuz I hadn’t really figured out cornering either. Lol

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
As for weeping sidewalls on maxxis exo it’s a regular thing.

I liked the dhr 2 but found them to wear a bit quick although the 2nd ride was in Squamish in the summer.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
theweaz wrote:

They were rounder, then flatter, now back to rounder? I wasn't aware of a mold change for Gen 2.

Im not sure how the profile changed after round 2, did they get more round again? I was also talking about the trs race and trs plus, so the trail tires not the dh tires. I really did like them, I’ve also switched locations now where I don’t need as much side knob and prefer a faster rolling tire at this point so it’s totally possible that they’re back to being sick, not to mention they used to be substantially cheaper than maxxis tires.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 21:31 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:

I liked the dhr 2 but found them to wear a bit quick although the 2nd ride was in Squamish in the summer.

Exo+? I have run many exo maxxis tires and never had this issue. I have never read or heard of as bad of seeping as I was experiencing. With stans sealant I was loosing 10 psi in a matter of an hour. If left overnight the tire was completely flat the following morning. If I sprayed the sidewall with soapy water it would froth into a several cm thick buildup of bubbles in seconds.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
Not exo plus but regular exo and I have never had it bad enough to loose 10psi in an hour maybe overnight.
I have had some bad weeping along the sidewall and it looks like there were pinpricks around the tire with clear sealant dripping down the sidewalk.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:16 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Exo+? I have run many exo maxxis tires and never had this issue. I have never read or heard of as bad of seeping as I was experiencing. With stans sealant I was loosing 10 psi in a matter of an hour. If left overnight the tire was completely flat the following morning. If I sprayed the sidewall with soapy water it would froth into a several cm thick buildup of bubbles in seconds.
Never seen a tire that bad. Try race sealant or some LCM.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Never seen a tire that bad. Try race sealant or some LCM.

The tires were both warrantied and my replacement exo+ tires lived their lives, until I wore them out, problem free.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
theweaz wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
They were rounder, then flatter, now back to rounder? I wasn't aware of a mold change for Gen 2.
Im not sure how the profile changed after round 2, did they get more round again?

My understanding is the current, 2.4" tires - Gen 3? - have a rounder profile that's better suited to modern rim width. The factory, Vee, seems to have been working on casings and compounds. Their new Snap WCE in Top 40 compound has been getting good reviews, so maybe Vee has become competitive with the usual suspects.

I'm keen to try the Gen 3 e*thirteens if they come out with something wider.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 1:15 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Before we get into a competition over how quickly our radness leads to dead tires, let's keep in mind variables of rider weight, terrain, and our thresholds for tire replacement.

Wear rate is not linear. The heaviest rider I know can wreck side lugs in a weekend at a bike park. For me, at a fairly average weight and very similar pace, the same tire looks fine after the same weekend.

Abrasive rocks are vicious. Tires show considerable wear after a single ride on slickrock or steep limestone. A tire might last multiple seasons on the soft sand trails in some regions of the Okanagan (interior BC). And fatbike tires oxidize before they wear out!

Some folks like fresh tires and some run them down to the casing. I can tell a tire isn't as good as it once was after only a few days, but I'll run it until it's getting sketchy. One of my friends will run a front tire far longer than I'll run a rear and he runs rear tires until they look like road slicks.

This.. I am fat-ish.. 220lbs.. But I also am a huge hack and squared off turns and beat on tires. I can see visable check marks on DH casing tires in a weekend at our bike park.

But I have a buddy that is 280lbs but rides so soft and can get a season before he sees tire wear..

And then we have a 150lb kid that will destroy tires and wheels faster than even I am able to..

There is so much variability in riders that has more impact that tires themselves.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Schralps and cutties are how you ruin tires. If you have an uplift and make a point of blowing up every turn on the hill you'd be lucky to get a week out of a rear tire.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
Someone needs to bring back a high-end tire in a durable compound. I suppose the WTB "Fast Rolling" is pretty close, but I'm really thinking about the Maxxis Maxxpro 60. Those were great rear tires.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018830
Mobile Version of Website