Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
That whole article/study on chain durability was enlightening, especially the point that manufacturing and design techniques for modern chains have improved so much that narrower 12spd chains are actually stronger and more durable than 8spd - simply because there has been so little development of older, wider, chains.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
Wouldn’t a sprag clutch + electronic shifting solve most of the issues with a gearbox?? Like instant engagement and no gripshift

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
I've ridden the e bike drivetrain before and preferred it on Bosche/Shimano motors. It's nice because the gaps are bigger, you don't have to shift as frequently. With human power, you want the gaps to be small and incremental to keep your cadance smooth. With the e-bikes, you can get away with bigger steps between gears.

The Levo is the only bike I didn't feel that bigger gaps between gears would help, as the motor delivery is so smooth. The Brose motors may have their own set of issues, but they crush it on power delivery and smoothness. It feels the most human like, where the Bosche/Shimano setups feel too torque. It sounds like some people prefer that. I certainly enjoy that feeling on my dirt bike.

If I want to feel the hit of power when you get on the powerband, I'll ride my 250 2 smoke. Otherwise I like the smooth delivery of the brose motor on my Levo.. Granted I only have 10 miles or so on a Steps bike.

I'm with you, however I do hear that some of the Levo competitors are actually much better descending. I've heard glowing things about the Heckler. Curious to try one. A few of my friends have jumped fully on ebikes.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:37 Quote
The way automagicslushbox transmissions have taken over the auto world I am kinda surprised more of you aren't wishing for auto gear box bikes.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
I've ridden the e bike drivetrain before and preferred it on Bosche/Shimano motors. It's nice because the gaps are bigger, you don't have to shift as frequently. With human power, you want the gaps to be small and incremental to keep your cadance smooth. With the e-bikes, you can get away with bigger steps between gears.

The Levo is the only bike I didn't feel that bigger gaps between gears would help, as the motor delivery is so smooth. The Brose motors may have their own set of issues, but they crush it on power delivery and smoothness. It feels the most human like, where the Bosche/Shimano setups feel too torque. It sounds like some people prefer that. I certainly enjoy that feeling on my dirt bike.

If I want to feel the hit of power when you get on the powerband, I'll ride my 250 2 smoke. Otherwise I like the smooth delivery of the brose motor on my Levo.. Granted I only have 10 miles or so on a Steps bike.

I'm with you, however I do hear that some of the Levo competitors are actually much better descending. I've heard glowing things about the Heckler. Curious to try one. A few of my friends have jumped fully on ebikes.

I am really curious about the SL just because it would ride like a regular bike. Being 220lb person and in decent shape, pulling around my 50lb 29er Levo is definitely less of an issue than a 150lb rider that's less aggressive. I definitely see the place for the smaller lighter bikes with less power.

I am currently researching some bigger adventure rides around here that are 10k and 50mile rides.. Definitely something where I want the bigger battery and range that I don't think the smaller SL is going to offer.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

We just did a private Heckler demo day company-wide. 3 of my co-workers crashed pretty hard including the director of retail who dislocated his shoulder. The reports from the people who didn't crash say that the bike is too heavy and underpowered for a casual rider to get into. I think the Levo is better for casual riders, and the Heckler is for experienced mountain bikers.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
I'm curious about the under powered statement. What are they referring to? The motor is in alot of bropeds...and the weight is pretty good. Are they referring to the battery power? The khw shouldn't affect the handling (aside from weight).

Most folks are blown away by how well the suspension tracks, that it can be bunny hopped, and how nimble it is in general.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
The way automagicslushbox transmissions have taken over the auto world I am kinda surprised more of you aren't wishing for auto gear box bikes.

Just waiting for it to be done right. If we were all on gearboxes right now and some company came out with a revolutionary more efficient drivetrain, but added weight to the sprung mass, while adding external elements that are vastly more prone to wear and crash damage, we'd probably laugh at them for being absurd.

But here we are.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
Heh, the Heckler is 4lbs lighter than my Dad's Haibike alloy160, probably lighter than a most of the lower spec e-bikes. If it's "too heavy for casuals" then most e-bikes probably are.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
Circe wrote:
Most folks are blown away by how well the suspension tracks [ ... ]

Sprung:unsprung

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Circe wrote:
I'm curious about the under powered statement. What are they referring to? The motor is in alot of bropeds...and the weight is pretty good. Are they referring to the battery power? The khw shouldn't affect the handling (aside from weight).

Most folks are blown away by how well the suspension tracks, that it can be bunny hopped, and how nimble it is in general.

Admittedly most of my co-workers are female roadies with no upper body strength. They couldn't even bunnyhop a non-e- bike, and probably have trouble with cornering on regular mountain bikes.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 6:04 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:

If I was using a throttle I'd be cool with it choosing it's own gear. Because we're pedalling though it's necessary to anticipate the resistance accurately - otherwise it's going to f*ck up your balance.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
Admittedly most of my co-workers are female roadies with no upper body strength. They couldn't even bunnyhop a non-e- bike, and probably have trouble with cornering on regular mountain bikes.

So aside from the female part you mean ebike riders

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
splayleg wrote:

I've been riding analog bikes since I was 13, so after 30 years I'm just embracing the future of mountain biking.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
splayleg wrote:

Yeah my buddy was riding the Queenstown dream track 2 days ago with Bernard Kerr.. And they were sessioning 50+ foot doubles on their ebikes. I'll let them know you will be right there to show them how "real mountain bikers" do it.

It's always the most pansy ass regular bikers that have the lamest ebike insults.. At least come up with something original and entertaining for an insult that I can at least chuckle at.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026081
Mobile Version of Website