Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 5:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
From that video, I'm far more impressed by the single sided swingarm and sealed gearbox than by the "military tech" gimmicky shock.

Totally fair, that GMBN tech is kinda lame. They have a video on their Instagram of that shock in action on the Sentinel and it looks like it’s hugging the ground pretty well. Whatever the case, still rad it’s homemade

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
From that video, I'm far more impressed by the single sided swingarm and sealed gearbox than by the "military tech" gimmicky shock.
Haven't watched the video so it may have been covered, but Dirt Mag did a follow up at one point on the Millyard bike - despite appearing and riding like a 8" or so DH bike, it only had about 5" of travel to use out back, so the shock was working some magic.

Tech has come on a bit in the market in the intervening time so some bikes now could probably pull that trick off but for the time it was pretty special indeed. Hopefully something can still come of it after all this time.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Shock tech hasn't come that far. Sure, XC air shocks at that time were garbage, but something like an Avalanche has barely changed in, what, fifteen or twenty years?, and is still a solid product. I have a 2007 Iron Horse Sunday that was custom-made for Sam Hill that's lower and slacker than most current DH bikes (length is about the same); put a 2007 Avalanche shock on that and it's on par with modern bikes, save for the wheel size.

In other words, I'm unconvinced any shock could make a 5" bike outperform the best 8" product from that era. That said, I love the garage inventors, it's possible the Millyard shock is superior (to what extent, if any, is to be seen), and I hope he brings the product to market and kicks ass with it.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
It's a cool design as far as the swingarm and drivetrain but the idea of a magic shock sounds like nothing more than hype. That it's being labeled as military tech is pretty laughable too. Good on them for garage innovation but I'm highly doubtful there's much substance there.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 17:29 Quote
Still love riding my M1s.. Offset bushings in shock, offset headset, modern World cup fork and 5th element shock and I really enjoy it still. 61° HA..

Not going to say that a modern bike isn't better.. Just that the old school can still be pretty good.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
It's a cool design as far as the swingarm and drivetrain but the idea of a magic shock sounds like nothing more than hype. That it's being labeled as military tech is pretty laughable too. Good on them for garage innovation but I'm highly doubtful there's much substance there.

It’s essentially the same shock tech that is used on tanks and tracked vehicles, that’s where the ‘military’ bit comes from. I forget how it works, it’s been about 15 years since I read about it, but by all accounts it works incredibly well. Wasn’t it ‘nitro shox’ that did something with them too, so named because they were nitrogen charged?

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 0:54 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Still love riding my M1s.. Offset bushings in shock, offset headset, modern World cup fork and 5th element shock and I really enjoy it still. 61° HA..

Not going to say that a modern bike isn't better.. Just that the old school can still be pretty good.

Makes me want to dig out my M3

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 1:01 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Makes me want to dig out my M3

We just picked up a M3 that we are starting to build! My M1 is now dads bike and I am on a 27.5 M9 now..

For the few times a year that I ride dedicated DH bikes, I can't complain!

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 5:06 Quote
ive always wanted to pick up an m6 and throw a bunch of modern parts on it and modify it a bit. seems like it would be fun

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 5:24 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

It’s essentially the same shock tech that is used on tanks and tracked vehicles, that’s where the ‘military’ bit comes from. I forget how it works, it’s been about 15 years since I read about it, but by all accounts it works incredibly well. Wasn’t it ‘nitro shox’ that did something with them too, so named because they were nitrogen charged?
how does being used on a tank make it good for a bicycle?

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 5:26 Quote
Nobble wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Well if you're riding from Germany to Poland...

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
Nobble wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

As I said, was a while ago that i read about it, but i guess when you see tracked stuff driving over rough terrain, the wheels within the tracks stay pretty planted.

more info here...https://www.mtb-news.de/news/test-nitro-shox-first-ride/

From that it looks like it’s very good at preventing bottom out, which I guess is good if you are driving a 60 tonne tank over rough stuff and don’t want stuff snapping all the time, whilst being vaguely tolerable for the occupants. This is obviously a much smaller version.

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
ive always wanted to pick up an m6 and throw a bunch of modern parts on it and modify it a bit. seems like it would be fun

Do a M9. It's better than the m1/m3

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
photo

Speaking of shocks

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
I actually got up close with that over the weekend.

I'm still not certain it's a production stage yet. Some aspects are a little rough.

Stanchion size is pretty beefy though. Didn't get to ask Noah why they didn't do a reservoir, I suspect because it's got a fair bit of oil in it already. No external adjusters aside from a climb switch.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039134
Mobile Version of Website