Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
Big sale on Kenda Tires right now, 45% off! Order from their site and the promo code is Kendapro

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
Re: Kenda

US only, it seems. Bummer, as I'd gladly pick up another Hellkat & Nevegal2 combo. Looking forward to trying their new Pinner, too.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
While that's better than normal prices, I've been able to get Kenda tires at around $38-$50 from other sources. That 45% off puts most of their normally $80 (avg) tires at around $56.

The advantage being that you can get some of the new casings and compounds that I haven't been able to get at those cheaper prices. Like the AGC casing.

I'm kinda interested in the Regolith. It looks comparable to a Rekon.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Double post, sorry, see below

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
PHeller wrote:
While that's better than normal prices, I've been able to get Kenda tires at around $38-$50 from other sources. That 45% off puts most of their normally $80 (avg) tires at around $56.

The advantage being that you can get some of the new casings and compounds that I haven't been able to get at those cheaper prices. Like the AGC casing.

I'm kinda interested in the Regolith. It looks comparable to a Rekon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 80 x 55 / 100 = 44, not 56?

Not that I'm interested in buying tires from them, but if it can change something for you guys...

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
It's always possible to get great deals on old products that have been superseded. It's less common to get good deals on current products, including recently released ones.

45% off $80 is $44. That's the number I was seeing when I added a few to my cart, before discovering it didn't apply to Canadian orders.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
Yea but the real question is why would you buy kenda tires? Every time you I’ve ridden one I’ve come away thinking they’re okay but not great, I guess if I was riding bike park a lot and roasting rear tires I’d consider stock piling a few.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:19 Quote
Photo credit to Simon Hird https simonhird.com

For a bit of topic, weighed my bike today.

Since that photo it's now on an 11-46t cassette rather than 11-42. Think that's the only spec change.

460 reach, no carbon on the whole bike, weighed with big platform steel axle pedals.

Came in at 15.36kg = 33.86lbs

Building a new bike up this weekend (new version of the same frame) and expecting it weigh similar but perhaps a little more because of the wheelset and the huge cassette.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
theweaz wrote:
Yea but the real question is why would you buy kenda tires?

Their old models, such as the first generation Nevegal, were good at the time, but are now thoroughly outdated. Rolling resistance is high and compounds aren't up to current standards.

Have you used any of the new models on the new casings? My experience has been:

• For a given level of casing toughness, they're lighter and more supple than the competition.
• Durability is above average.
• Tread patterns work well and are highly wrapped, making them suitable for wide rims.
• "Trail" rubber compounds aren't as sticky as those from some competitors, but the durability is better.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
theweaz wrote:
Yea but the real question is why would you buy kenda tires?

Their old models, such as the first generation Nevegal, were good at the time, but are now thoroughly outdated. Rolling resistance is high and compounds aren't up to current standards.

Have you used any of the new models on the new casings? My experience has been:

• For a given level of casing toughness, they're lighter and more supple than the competition.
• Durability is above average.
• Tread patterns work well and are highly wrapped, making them suitable for wide rims.
• "Trail" rubber compounds aren't as sticky as those from some competitors, but the durability is better.

I was skeptical about them as well, but the newer offerings are not like the Kendas of old we like to bag on. I can only speak for the Hellkats, but Kenda knocked it out of the park with these.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
I was skeptical about them as well, but the newer offerings are not like the Kendas of old we like to bag on. I can only speak for the Hellkats, but Kenda knocked it out of the park with these.

The Hellkat is really good. The upcoming Pinner is looking like another gem.

My rear tires are usually just worn out, former front tires, but if I have to buy a dedicated rear, the Nevegal2 is one of the best.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
The Nevegal was Nevergood IMO.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
seraph wrote:
The Nevegal was Nevergood IMO.

Everything was pretty crap when it came out ... almost twenty years ago? They were less crap than most.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:33 Quote
Insert *minions don’t care about your opinions*

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
The DHF has always been good, though there was a time when the 2.35" measured under 2", so they don't fully get a pass!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019733
Mobile Version of Website