Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
seraph wrote:
More than 27.5 lbs? Hmm... I guess the XL frame size doesn't help. Are you married to those brakes? G2 Ultimate or the new XTR would likely be lighter.

I think the frame is 4.5-5#. I kind of am attached at the hip. I’ve been a magura heart throb since my 1997 HS-33 in bright red with carbon brake boosters. But do appreciate they are like anchors

I have the MT5s and absolutely love their power & modulation (they have won me over from XTs & Saints), but I really want to try Shiguras with non-servo XTR levers. Shimano ergos + Magura feel would be ace, along with the ability to mate my shifter & dropper cleanly to the levers.

I run Shigura, MT7's with XTR race levers, used wolftooth shiftmount either side, so I can run SRAM XO1 & wolftooth LA lever (Fox transfer)
11spd though.. I spec 2b or whatever it is

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
Sag:

What sag are people running on newer generation forks and shocks? The reason I ask is that with the new larger negative air springs the “pull” into the travel you feel is so great that running suss at the conventional 25-30% makes them feel like a soggy, wallowy mess.

I blew up my 2017 36 floats and float x on my Canada trip last year and had to get replacements while out there so ended up with a set of 2018 float 36’s with the evol spring and a float x2. I set them up by feel throughout the rest of the trip and am super happy with the overall suspension feel, it’s almost like a downhill bike but still super playful and supportive. It’s like I’ve finally got the feel I’ve wanted for the last 15 years of riding bikes.

But now I come back to the sag thing. Today I thought I’d measure my sag properly and ended up with bang on 15% both ends. This seems pretty low but feels absolutely spot on so I’m slightly confused. In the quest to get the best bike setup possible Im wondering if I should try 25% both ends and redo my whole setting sheet to accommodate. So what do people run in here?

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
I don't go by sag at all. I run recommended pressures for my body weight and adjust by feel from there.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I don't go by sag at all. I run recommended pressures for my body weight and adjust by feel from there.

This is where i go to buy sag....

photo

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
I got no clue on my sags

I go with the amount of mid support and comfort/grip I want. Front I tend not to bottom out too much and rear sometimes

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
Good to know. I’ll carry on ruining my frame kinematics then

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Sag:

What sag are people running on newer generation forks and shocks?

But now I come back to the sag thing. Today I thought I’d measure my sag properly and ended up with bang on 15% both ends. This seems pretty low but feels absolutely spot on so I’m slightly confused. In the quest to get the best bike setup possible Im wondering if I should try 25% both ends and redo my whole setting sheet to accommodate. So what do people run in here?

I never ran 25-30% sag in a fork, even years ago. That’s the recipe for a wallowy mess up front. 15% on a fork is pretty decent, then use volume spacers as needed.

Out back varies by frame due to kinematics (I think)- the manufactorers usually spec proper sag in the instruction manual. In the case of my Ripley, the recommended spec is 25%. I then use volume bands to get the correct ramp up given the proper sag.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
With how slack bikes have gotten in the last decade or so measuring for sag is pretty useless. Set rear for 20-30% sag then adjust the front to feel equal.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
So looking at a Cannondale Scalpel SE. I have eewings. Having trouble finding compatibility specifically. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
Replaced the 130mm 34 performance for a pike ultimate, what a difference, feels a little stiffer and with more mid ttavel support, also I won 1mm extra of travel
photo

Mod
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:

Samesies. I’m not about the sag measurements. I play around with pressure and then settings.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
Sag:

What sag are people running on newer generation forks and shocks?

I never ran 25-30% sag in a fork, even years ago. That’s the recipe for a wallowy mess up front. 15% on a fork is pretty decent, then use volume spacers as needed.

Out back varies by frame due to kinematics (I think)- the manufactorers usually spec proper sag in the instruction manual. In the case of my Ripley, the recommended spec is 25%. I then use volume bands to get the correct ramp up given the proper sag.

I’m running about 24-26% in the front on my Pike RCT3 150 with about 9 clicks LSC. I feel like it’s pretty supportive since I’ve got the comp half way. If I were to run 15% would i need all that LSC anymore?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
I’m running about 24-26% in the front on my Pike RCT3 150 with about 9 clicks LSC. I feel like it’s pretty supportive since I’ve got the comp half way. If I were to run 15% would i need all that LSC anymore?

You would not. You want to maintain an ideal amount of support, which is a combination of spring and damper forces. These forces at differently, of course, with the former being position-sensitive and the latter being velocity-sensitive, but that's the general idea.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Sag:

What sag are people running on newer generation forks and shocks? The reason I ask is that with the new larger negative air springs the “pull” into the travel you feel is so great that running suss at the conventional 25-30% makes them feel like a soggy, wallowy mess.

I blew up my 2017 36 floats and float x on my Canada trip last year and had to get replacements while out there so ended up with a set of 2018 float 36’s with the evol spring and a float x2. I set them up by feel throughout the rest of the trip and am super happy with the overall suspension feel, it’s almost like a downhill bike but still super playful and supportive. It’s like I’ve finally got the feel I’ve wanted for the last 15 years of riding bikes.

15-20% is pretty much the sweet spot up front and as said earlier, the rear is dependent on kinematics. I think most riders are around the 25-30% mark though. One thing I always do when setting up my suspension is set all the adjustments somewhere near the middle. Then get your spring rate set and you have plenty of adjustment both ways. At the end of the day though, if you’re happy with your current settings, that’s all that matters.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 19:18 Quote
While we’re at it, whats everyone running for volume tokens in their rear shocks:

Weight:
Travel/Stroke
Shock model:
Number of tokens:

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.081310
Mobile Version of Website