Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 16, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
Probably not winning the weight game, but the only frame I'd consider upgrading to at the moment:

https://zerodebikes.com/blog/zerode-carbon-drive

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 21:22 Quote
You would be winning the unsprung mass game.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
Loosing the weight game and back to aluminum but the new knolly warden pedals so much better than the previous version it’s not even noticeable.

Set some new climbing pr’s and same with down.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 0:21 Quote
It’s not even noticeable?

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 2:12 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:

The weight penalty of the alu frame, I assume

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 4:28 Quote
would have liked to see a slowmo closeup of the belt in yank. It does come rly close to the chainstay in this pic

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
I’d imagine there’s a lot more tension on it that with a chain so doubt it moves much when the bike is bouncing around

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
It sounds pretty quiet in the video they posted.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 8:57 Quote
riish wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

The weight penalty of the alu frame, I assume

Correct a few drinks in when I posted that

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
It sounds pretty quiet in the video they posted.

if you mean the video up there with mostly music and this fellow chatting then yes the sound of the bike isnt there

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
As long as the main pivot is not too far from the BB then belt growth should not be too much. The Pinion gearbox will help with reducing noise.

However, based on personal experience of a Gates Belt on my commuter bike I don't believe the hype. I bought a Cube Hyde Race (Gate Belt/Alfine Cool after donkeys years of derailleur gears as this was supposed to be maintenance free.

The Gates Belt drive was great to start with however after about 9 months teeth started to break off the belt. The front ring is fancy plastic and had worn significantly and surprisingly so had the stainless one on the rear. Tension is far higher than you would imagine so with that tensioner it must have a serious spring in it. It turned out that there was an alignment issue between the front and rear of about 0.2mm. This was enough to stress the teeth on the centretrack belt so they started to break off. The BB was a Gates cartridge type with taper fit. If the alignment is that accurate why the hell do they fit a tapered BB as you will never get it set correctly.

The Pinion gearbox will help BB alignment as that will be fixed with the cranks but will the alignment from to rear be accurate enough?

Who knows but in terms of trusting it, no way. Hideously expensive to buy and maintain. The rings will not last the time the say and bluntly, with replacement costs up in the many £100s of pounds it is not with it. The belt was replaced with a chain and I have now done nearly 3000 miles on it with nothing more than a re-tension, the belt and rings were shot after 2000 miles in nothing approaching the aggressive environment you get on an MTB.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
Yeah, the concept seems cool until you consider how screwed you would be if it snaps 20 miles from home in the national forest and you can't just pop in a replacement link or chain segment like with a normal setup.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
You can say that about a rear derailleur/hanger too, if it ends up breaking off and bending the chain you'll be walking too. Both are fairly unlikely to happen in practice.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 4:49 Quote
I thought belts work with alfine and rohloff with sliders because you can fine tune your belt tension. But the thing is it is very finicky on getting the tension just right. How do you get it right down to the millimeter with chain tensioner and constantly changing distance between chainring and cog?

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
I never realized Zerode offers their bikes with chain or belt. Guess the chain would be easy at that point.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025226
Mobile Version of Website