Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
You feel that Rimpact's sidewall support is comparable to CushCore?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
Keeping mass in mind the Rimpact Pro damping & support is more relatable to CC Pro rather than CC XC and given the weight savings it's hard to be disappointed. Rimpact Original was pretty useless as a rear insert from my experience and I didn't run either because I care about the rim (Reserves are trash, on my 4th now) but rather for ride feel.

*** I usually run a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the rear between 27-28psi

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
PHeller wrote:
You feel that Rimpact's sidewall support is comparable to CushCore?
Having run both, i'd say yes. Rimpact is indistinguishable at least by touch, in foam density and stiffness. It locks the bead in a similar manner to cush core. I'm still not sure if the ride difference I feel is any thing other than snake oil or a marginal gain I don't or can't appreciate.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
Cool. Ya'll are selling me on spending a little bit more for Rimpact over MyneSweeper.

Does Rimpact remove the VAT from their cost when they ship it to the USA?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
theweaz wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Cushcore isn't going to do much for keeping your tire beaded if you're pushing corners. Pressure is king there. Cushcore is mostly for vertical impacts towards the rim.

I would disagree, the way cushcore sits down in the rim bed and how tight is sits there (when new) it does a lot for holding the tire bead outward against the rim bead.

Can’t really comment on how well it protects and damps compared to other inserts.

None of my customers on the system would agree with this. The entire tire casing is still capable of folding to the side when at a psi that is too low. Psi is ultimately king in avoiding burps.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 17:37 Quote
Ehh I don't think anyone assumes you can get away running >5psi less because you have an insert... It's about the 1-3psi difference in traction while maintaining adequate sidewall support that's so beneficial and noticeable.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
I absolutely would say that I have substantially less burps and tire rolling while cornering with the same or 2-3psi less with Cushcore.. The entire reason I run cushcore is to keep tires from burping air while cornering hard.

But my pressures really only dropped 2-3 psi. Not 5 or so that some people claimed.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
I can burp pretty much any tire setup tubeless up to 38 psi or so (depending on the width) in a parking lot. It might take a bunny hop to cuttie landing to do it, but the problem with cutties is you can't unlearn how to do them. I typically only do them on 90 degree corners that weren't built right these days as on properly built large radius berms cutties are slower, but every once in a while its too much fun to take out your aggression on the trail, or just spraying a bunch of dirt on a dirt fire road into the trees off to the side. If I wasn't running procore to lock the bead on, i'd be running dh tubes, tubeless just doesn't work for g outs. Haven't tried cushcore yet.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 19:51 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
I can burp pretty much any tire setup tubeless up to 38 psi or so (depending on the width) in a parking lot. It might take a bunny hop to cuttie landing to do it, but the problem with cutties is you can't unlearn how to do them. I typically only do them on 90 degree corners that weren't built right these days as on properly built large radius berms cutties are slower, but every once in a while its too much fun to take out your aggression on the trail, or just spraying a bunch of dirt on a dirt fire road into the trees off to the side. If I wasn't running procore to lock the bead on, i'd be running dh tubes, tubeless just doesn't work for g outs. Haven't tried cushcore yet.
Just in case anyone doubts the man's credentials lol

Views: 427    Faves: 2    Comments: 2

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Schralp!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 23:13 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Is that impressive? It just looks like someone skidding to me. Not cornering fast or aggressively at all. Not trying to diss anyone, I'm genuinely curious.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 23:48 Quote
Instead of arguing the quality of the riding or whether some roost proves anything ...

Kitejumping wrote:
I can burp pretty much any tire setup tubeless up to 38 psi or so (depending on the width) in a parking lot. It might take a bunny hop to cuttie landing to do it [ ... ]

Of course jumping into a crooked landing on pavement and pumping to enhance the compression will roll a tire. Not a strong analogy to normal riding. If that's how you like to ride, I won't talk you out of it, but not many people want to ride components built to withstand that.

A quick search indicates Amaury Pierron rides 25 - 27 psi without inserts. Loic Bruni rides 23 - 28 psi and I didn't see mention of inserts. Granted, they're more willing to dent rims than the rest of us, but they can't risk a flat or a burp, so their pressures are probably only slightly under what would be required to protect the rim. Anyone who needs 50% more pressure than these guys is either doing something odd or is Kyle Strait.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
Alright Alright bikes

About to pull the trigger on a new prime.... Anyone checked em out yet?.... Need.... Opinions

photo

8.2lb frame. Fack.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 0:09 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Alright Alright bikes

About to pull the trigger on a new prime.... Anyone checked em out yet?.... Need.... Opinions

photo

8.2lb frame. Fack.

Banshee bikes are awesome i have the previous generation Prime also not a light weight frame,but Banshee makes frames that are very strong .Prime is a good bike for pretty much everything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051412
Mobile Version of Website