Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:17 Quote
Good for you, most people I know who've been in a serious crash with one either had the chin bar removed and crashed in a rolling terain, or the crashbar did not survive the crash. I Wouldn't trust one anymore then a half lid.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
My crash last year in a half shell resulted in a brain hemorrhage due to cheekbone impact into rock.

The chinbar of the super dh has padding directly over where I hit my cheekbone. Whether or not that would have saved me from my concussion, not sure, but surely having something padded between my face and a rock would have helped my case.

Less effective than a dedicated full face? Maybe. Useless, definitely not. If you crash not wearing it on rolling terrain well that sucks, but how many people are going to choose to wear a dedicated full face in rolling terrain?

The only people I know who have actually had to use the proframe chin bar in a crash, well it didn't 'survive' very well. The chinbar seems to rip off quite easily on those.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:55 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
No love for convertible lids? I'm very happy with my bell super dh.

Rode that old giro switchblade before it was what it was. Broke a few chin pieces. Never again

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Rode that old giro switchblade before it was what it was. Broke a few chin pieces. Never again

That crazy old one from 20 years ago? That was sketchy at best.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
I have the 100% one and I like it. Fits my head well.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:48 Quote
My kids both use convertible Bells. I am sure having a chin bar on it is much better for their dental work than not having it. It’s a fairly solid piece with firm attachment.
As good as a proper DH helmet? No. Used instead of a proper DH helmet. No. It is used instead of a XC helmet.

I don’t use one because my mug can only be improved with a face plant on regular terrain. I do use proper DH if shuttling.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
I have had a 2 pretty huge crashes in my Super DH helmets.. And I didn't need dental surgery.. And I smoked my head/chin pretty dang hard.

2 years ago dad blew out one of his front teeth and blew a hole in his upper lip that he could stick his tongue through.. $9500, 2 new teeth and 25 stitches later he bought a 3R.

They may not be the end all, but I'd rather have my Super DH than not if I get off my trail bike at speed.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

That crazy old one from 20 years ago? That was sketchy at best.

Haha, tells you how long I’ve been sick AF. On the same token, name a better option at the time.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
They may not be the end all, but I'd rather have my Super DH than not if I get off my trail bike at speed.

Ay.

Also, have a D3 for shuttling and/or park laps. The super dh is great for pedalling up for big descents without the chinbar installed, and pinning it down with a bit of added security.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Ay.

Also, have a D3 for shuttling and/or park laps. The super dh is great for pedalling up for big descents without the chinbar installed, and pinning it down with a bit of added security.

Yeah.. I have 2 Full 9s as well for the resort riding and shuttling.. I don't waer the convertable helmet as a replacement for my full face.. I think about it as additional protection for my "enduro" helmet where I wouldn't grab my Full 9.

I have done 1 day of resort riding in my Super DH and that was only because I had forgot the Full 9 but had the convertable helmet in my car still.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 20:24 Quote
Same, my Switchblade is my trail helmet and my Disciple is my race/park/shuttle/jump helmet.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 23:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Good for you, most people I know who've been in a serious crash with one either had the chin bar removed and crashed in a rolling terain, or the crashbar did not survive the crash. I Wouldn't trust one anymore then a half lid.

If anything, I’d trust it less, you’d get a false sense of security from a full-face that won’t actually protect your face.
In an open-face helmet, I feel much more aware of the lack of protection and send it a little less accordingly.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
nubbs wrote:
tom666 wrote:
Anybody tried both a Fox Proframe and/or a 100% Trajecta?

I'm going to treat myself to one of the two

From what I've read the proframe is more on the breathable/lightweight end of things - ~780g in a large, tonnes of vents.

The trajecta is more like 900g and slightly less vents, but probably provides a bit more protection.

Given that I already have a 100% Aircraft (proper DH lid) for days that warrant as much protection as possible, I'm currently leaning towards the proframe because it seems like a nice halfway house between a DH lid and an open face trail lid.

Anybody got any useful experience with either?

Proframe is legit. Comfortable and vented well. Fox's helmets are quite nice these days..

Have a look at this https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/fox-proframe-crashed-design-problem-material-defect-1104969.html

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 4:27 Quote
Riyadh wrote:
nubbs wrote:
tom666 wrote:
Anybody tried both a Fox Proframe and/or a 100% Trajecta?

I'm going to treat myself to one of the two

From what I've read the proframe is more on the breathable/lightweight end of things - ~780g in a large, tonnes of vents.

The trajecta is more like 900g and slightly less vents, but probably provides a bit more protection.

Given that I already have a 100% Aircraft (proper DH lid) for days that warrant as much protection as possible, I'm currently leaning towards the proframe because it seems like a nice halfway house between a DH lid and an open face trail lid.

Anybody got any useful experience with either?

Proframe is legit. Comfortable and vented well. Fox's helmets are quite nice these days..

Have a look at this https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/fox-proframe-crashed-design-problem-material-defect-1104969.html

Not great to see. Thanks for linking. In fairness though we have no idea how bad the crash was - it does sound like it was pretty bad. Could be that he faceplanted real hard straight on the chinbar going fast.

I think it's important to remember that these (the proframe, Trajecta, stage etc) aren't proper DH ready helmets. All they can be expected to be is better than an open face - and with any luck they'll be mostly as good as a proper full face in most situations.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 7:08 Quote
I also believe in my full face if riding full on DH lines and days when I know the people I am riding with are passive. We dont have lifts here, so hike a bike often. For trail or enduro days I rock my super 3R, but wouldnt mind owning a super DH

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034132
Mobile Version of Website