Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
Not sure I would ever classify the Evo as a trailbike lol More like a gravity-oriented park/enduro bike.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
I freely admit that my Evo will probably get climbed to a descent less than a dozen times in the time I own it.. Definitely not a "trail bike" and much more of a dedicated park bike.

I absolutely built it heavy and sturdy to just beat on at the bike park.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Circe wrote:
Scout went full enduro. 5010 is more playful. SCB refreshes bikes every three years. I bet a new one is on the horizon
Agreed. I did a test ride on an SBG Transition in Bellingham and it is an awesome bike, but there are better options for jibbing IMO. Long reach and short offset make for great trail handling but definitely not as lively as my Endorphin (10mm shorter reach and traditional 44mm offset).

That actually raises a good point, Knolly had some insane prices on Endorphin frames in their online store pretty recently. Seat tube is a little long (476mm in large) but I really like mine.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
I'm kind of scared of SC updating the 5010. The geo right now is insanely playful and silly. I have a feeling it'll also undergo the longer lower slacker rhetoric and become a different bike.

Like the Hightower. We can say the new one is great, but it is a different animal now. Tallboy too. Hope they see the light on what the 5010 is and don't f*ck it up.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 13:30 Quote
Most large brands have equivalent models in 700c and 650b. The typical design process appears to be:

• 10 - 20 mm more travel for the 650b bike to compensate for the smoother roll-over over the larger wheels
• Geometry determined by travel, i.e. more travel ought to have more "DH" geometry, so the 650b sibling is usually has a bit slacker head-tube angle

Maybe 650b fans don't want equal stability and "speed". Maybe the preferences that draw a rider to 650b wheels also favour less travel and/or more agile geometry.

So, question for the 650b fans: For a given category - let's broadly split them "trail-ish" and "enduro-ish" - how do your travel, geometry, and handling preferences differ with a 650b bike than what you might like in a 700c bike for the same category?

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
My preferences in geometry and handling do not seem to be shared by flavor of the month current bike designers.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
That's why I'm asking. Would you be interested in describing these preferences?

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Picture an idrive gt bike from 2007. Then shorten it and make it a touch steeper and you have his ideal ride.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
Good for him. He's going to save a fortune with the unlimited access to cheap frames. Somewhere, there's probably a new 2017 Rocky Mountain Pipeline on a shop floor.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 19:13 Quote
Huh..surprisingly similar to the previous gen Hightower

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
I haven’t had any issues jibbing on my 29er, But it does have very short chainstays for a 29.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 19:31 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Picture an idrive gt bike from 2007. Then shorten it and make it a touch steeper and you have his ideal ride.

One of my mates had the DHi from 2007 or 8. Was maybe the same size as my current bmx?

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 20:09 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

My favorite fitting (me) bike of all time is 2012 Nicolai Helius AM. With 170mm front.
I prefer fun over fast anyway, but it is fast enough for me.
I would have gotten 27.5 version of it, maybe with smidge less travel, but they went full retard with Geolution, and I don’t feel like ordering full custom.

Mojo HD4 I just built for myself is OK.

Still did not get new bike for wife, I think Mojo 4 will be it. Though not sure about 460mm reach for a just under 5’8” lady.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025160
Mobile Version of Website