Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
Zeb, zebs dead baby.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I thought ZEB was supposed to get announced today?

What is ZEB?

Not much, what's up with you?

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
PHeller wrote:

What is ZEB?

Rockshox new big single crown fork.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
I saw one leaked photo that made the arch look MASSIVE, then another where it looked more normal. Should be interesting.

No notable changes in spring/damper.

Wonder if they'll do the floating axle thing or isolated air spring tech that Fox employed.

In other news, since PinkBike's negative review of the Mezzer and it's bushing issues, I haven't seen a negative review of the Mezzer yet (from users at least.) A guy on MTBR likes his better than his GRIP2 ACS3 36, and rated it alongside the Selva as one of the better forks on the market (in his opinion). Granted, it's just a random dude, but ya'll are random dudes too.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
Here's a fun one - what old bike (must be older than 10 years ago) did you have that would've been made better by one piece of modern tech?

Wheelsize not withstanding (I think wheelsize makes everything better) - I think my old Azonic Steelhead would've been better with a proper dropper post. I couldn't find a post long enough to get proper leg extension so anytime I rode with my buddies who had normal bikes I was riding around like a BMX bike. It sucked.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
Game changers (for me), in no particular order.

Dropper posts
Disc brakes
Carbon
Bigger wheel sizes
AXS
Proper head tube angles
Tubeless tires
Losing the front der.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
To me there are really two important things that are different and weren't really available 10 years ago: proper gearing and proper geometry. Sure there are more things that have changed and improved, but I think those two would have really transformed most bikes from that era.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Haha my neighbor is a former roadie who now can bust out some serious miles on trails - but he hasn't yet learned to use his dropper post. We went on a ride recently and he was seriously struggling over tech, he says "I can't remember to drop the seat and worry about being clipped in all at the same time!"

I said - "Dude it simple ditch the clips!"

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
PHeller wrote:
what old bike (must be older than 10 years ago) did you have that would've been made better by one piece of modern tech?

Pace RC 500 c.1992: Dropper post
Pace RC500 c.1992.

Crosstrac Sonoma, c. 1994: Brakes

Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO, 2011: Fork (had a custom Fox 32, stretched to 150 mm travel)

(Dis)Honourable mention goes to:

Giant Trance X 29, 2013: Frame

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
That seat angle vs head angle looks hilarious lol

I remember thinking those looked odd back when they were new, let alone now.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
That Pace DH is so frickin rad.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Anyone got the geometry for it? Looks surprisingly long.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Anyone got the geometry for it? Looks surprisingly long.

What I got from Linkage and photo editing software:

Reach: 506 mm
Stack: 559 mm (very low; reduces reach, though it's still crazy long for the time)
Head-tube angle: 67.3°

It's essentially a modern short-travel trail bike (resisting calling it "downcountry") and more of an outlier than a Geometron ever was.

Arnoodles wrote:
That seat angle vs head angle looks hilarious lol

Giant was terrified of a long wheelbase, yet didn't make much an effort to shorten the chainstays, so the only option was a shorter reach and/or steeper head-tube angle. The 26" version was fine, so it's not like Giant had no idea how to make a trail bike:

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
That Pace is awesome.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
PHeller wrote:

July 7th is my understanding

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020332
Mobile Version of Website