Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
My old iron horse 6 point was a hell of a bike for the time. Felt like it had unlimited travel. All it needed was a tapered head tube to run modern forks

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Here's a fun one - what old bike (must be older than 10 years ago) did you have that would've been made better by one piece of modern tech?

Wheelsize not withstanding (I think wheelsize makes everything better) - I think my old Azonic Steelhead would've been better with a proper dropper post. I couldn't find a post long enough to get proper leg extension so anytime I rode with my buddies who had normal bikes I was riding around like a BMX bike. It sucked.
My old Iron Horse 7 Point... if I could've fit a dropper on that bike I probably never would've sold it.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I thought ZEB was supposed to get announced today?

What is ZEB?

Rockshox new big single crown fork.

38mm That's a disappointment. Why not bring back the 40mm of the Totem???

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
PHeller wrote:

In other news, since PinkBike's negative review of the Mezzer and it's bushing issues, I haven't seen a negative review of the Mezzer yet (from users at least.) A guy on MTBR likes his better than his GRIP2 ACS3 36, and rated it alongside the Selva as one of the better forks on the market (in his opinion). Granted, it's just a random dude, but ya'll are random dudes too.

I think it is underrated Still my favorite sc 180mm fork so far. Besides the coil Helm but it is only 160. Cane Creek needs to make a larger version of the coil Helm

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
PHeller wrote:

In other news, since PinkBike's negative review of the Mezzer and it's bushing issues, I haven't seen a negative review of the Mezzer yet (from users at least.) A guy on MTBR likes his better than his GRIP2 ACS3 36, and rated it alongside the Selva as one of the better forks on the market (in his opinion). Granted, it's just a random dude, but ya'll are random dudes too.

And dude-ttes.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Pace RC 500 c.1992: Dropper post
Pace RC500 c.1992.

Damn that bike is good looking, even today, almost 30 years later Drool

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
So I need to get moving on a building my kiddo his first pedal bike and I want to go serious weight weenie on it.

Most kids bikes are over built tanks compared to the size of their riders.

Looking for some lightweight crank options.

Any of you shop mechanics pulled a Spawn bike apart and seen these cranks up close?

https://spawncycles.com/spawn-cycles-alloy-cranks-89mm

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Here's a fun one - what old bike (must be older than 10 years ago) did you have that would've been made better by one piece of modern tech?

Wheelsize not withstanding (I think wheelsize makes everything better) - I think my old Azonic Steelhead would've been better with a proper dropper post. I couldn't find a post long enough to get proper leg extension so anytime I rode with my buddies who had normal bikes I was riding around like a BMX bike. It sucked.
My old Iron Horse 7 Point... if I could've fit a dropper on that bike I probably never would've sold it.

A Sunday is still on my list of retro bikes that I'd love to ride someday.

And my 170mm Z1 Coil has been very very good so far.. Like I bought it as a cheap "proof of concept" before I bought a fancier fork. But I al really happy with it. I have the extra firm spring and still find it really supple. And have only bottomed on the most egregious hucks to flat.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
So I need to get moving on a building my kiddo his first pedal bike and I want to go serious weight weenie on it.

Any of you shop mechanics pulled a Spawn bike apart and seen these cranks up close?

What do you want to know?

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
PHeller wrote:

Both my steel hard tail singlespeed with a coil uturn fork and my Panthera BMX bike leave absolutely nothing to be desired for me from modern tech. Even tires.
I still own both. Though maintenance was required, replacements had been essentially one to one the same.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Why does Spawn use a chain guard and 4-bolt attachment? Why not just use direct mount? Do kids have a habit of sticking their fingers in the chainring?

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
And my 170mm Z1 Coil has been very very good so far.. Like I bought it as a cheap "proof of concept" before I bought a fancier fork. But I al really happy with it. I have the extra firm spring and still find it really supple. And have only bottomed on the most egregious hucks to flat.

I continually see people say that its among one of the best forks on the market.

If Fox could somehow get a coil/GRIP 36 down to 2200g it'd probably outsell just about everything else. A lot of people aren't wild about the Z1 Coil's near 2500g weight (the same as a Boxxer.)

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
If my Pitch had had a tapered head tube...which I think is one of the sleeper std changes that allowed for way more capable bikes. I would say I would still be riding but I have that bad boy hung up and I wouldn't want to let anyone ride it.

I have an old Marin Bear Valley frame I use for my commuter and I threw a 29r surly rigid fork and still running 26in wheel and it makes for a fun bike to get to and from work. Frame is probably 25ish years old

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:

Check out trailcraft kids cranks.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
how to carry tools on your bike.

Losing the weight game but winning the carrying tools for your whole crew on a workday game.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029614
Mobile Version of Website