Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
Opinions on ti springs anyone. I know they used to be all the rage before lightweight steel came along, but I haven't heard anything about them recently, seems like people have moved on. My shop has an account with Renton Coil Spring and it's midnight so I've been looking and thinking how well it would match my bike. I know problems are variation in spring rate and that they aren't really any lighter anymore. I've also heard that they feel "livelier" than steel, but I was wondering if anyone would weigh in?

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 0:55 Quote
Ti springs are exactly the same as steel springs, just lighter. The material damping properties of the metals are such an infinitesimal contribution to the properties of the bike that it's literally less than a drop in a bucket. There is zero difference in "liveliness", "feel", "elasticity", or other snake oil properties. It's just a spring. It provides a force on your linkage and contributes nothing more. Not damping, not feel, not "ride quality". Just a force, the same as steel spring.

There can be differences in durability between steel and ti, but also between steel and steel, depending on the design of the spring. As long as the spring maintains its stiffness, which it will for years, there's no difference from one spring to the next.

Some steel springs are lighter than ti springs and often cheaper, too. Such a spring would be a better purchase than a titanium spring. The only other arguments in favour of fancy springs are finer increments of rate (ex. 10 lb/in increments, not 25 or 50 lb/in) and tighter tolerances on the rates, so you actually get what you intended to get.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 0:59 Quote
And color, don't forget about color

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 4:43 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Opinions on ti springs anyone. I know they used to be all the rage before lightweight steel came along, but I haven't heard anything about them recently, seems like people have moved on. My shop has an account with Renton Coil Spring and it's midnight so I've been looking and thinking how well it would match my bike. I know problems are variation in spring rate and that they aren't really any lighter anymore. I've also heard that they feel "livelier" than steel, but I was wondering if anyone would weigh in?
More precise ratings, better durability... noticeably better ride. How much of that is from material properties vs the spring just actually being what it says instead of being off by 25lbs I don't know but, in practice it's noticeable. Wouldn't run anything else on a coil personally.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 5:21 Quote

That is an Ohlins steel spring stripped and clear coated in plasti-dip.

I used a chemical stripper.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
You can have heavy and light ti springs. It’s kind of a gamble. The newer Fox steel springs are stupid light. Same weight or lighter

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
Circe wrote:
You can have heavy and light ti springs. It’s kind of a gamble. The newer Fox steel springs are stupid light. Same weight or lighter
My RCS were both pretty heavy as far as Ti goes... only an ounce or two lighter than steel

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
Are any pro riders running TI springs? Seems most I see are just stock springs from the shock maker.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
I've seen some pros running those SCS springs with adjustable rate collar or the spacer thing.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Are any pro riders running TI springs? Seems most I see are just stock springs from the shock maker.

I occasionally see one in "Pit Bits" type articles. Not surprisingly, light steel springs are a lot more common. Almost every pro has one or the other; I don't recall seeing anyone, other than an occasional broke privateer, on the heavy, base model steel springs in the past few years.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
Pro can also be picky about accurate springs since they can test them and pick the one that works the best.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
This is slightly related I guess...

My buddy just built up his Tallboy 4 and fit a Marzocchi piggyback coil shock in 7.5x2 length to give it about 128mm of travel. So for those of you who may be curious to see if a coil shock besides the CC DB IL will fit the TB 4, so far this works. I'll know more about bottom out clearance in the future after he puts miles on the bike but initial tests seem to show it working.

Not the best picture but here's his bike:

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
I know that Marz Bomber CR is just a Van RC from 15 years ago.. But I am actually really happy with mine. For a $300 MSRP setup, it's pretty darn good.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I know that Marz Bomber CR is just a Van RC from 15 years ago.. But I am actually really happy with mine. For a $300 MSRP setup, it's pretty darn good.

I mean, the Van RC was a great fork. The last one I had was a 32! I didn't want to sell it, but my BF swore up and down air was better...he lied.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
seraph wrote:
This is slightly related I guess...

My buddy just built up his Tallboy 4 and fit a Marzocchi piggyback coil shock in 7.5x2 length to give it about 128mm of travel. So for those of you who may be curious to see if a coil shock besides the CC DB IL will fit the TB 4, so far this works. I'll know more about bottom out clearance in the future after he puts miles on the bike but initial tests seem to show it working.

Not the best picture but here's his bike:

Any issues with the Fox spring rubbing the tunnel? If not, that's great news.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024059
Mobile Version of Website