Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:38 Quote
Deity Knuckleduster. Had them on my Stumpjumper Pro, loved them. They should be waiting for me at the shop, I'll get them tomorrow. Just fat enough for my large palms and soft enough that I don't have to wear gloves.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

I've mentioned them enough times, so I'll be brief: Oury push-ons with safety wire. SO GOOD.

I have been out out the helicopter wrenching game for 2 years now... Maybe it's time to bust out the safety wire pliers and retire a set of the rev grips..

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:58 Quote
Have always loved the feel of the push-on ODI grips on my mates’ bike. Will have to get on that when my Deathgrips need replacing.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:25 Quote
Currently not using the safety wire, as riding our clay dirt in wet weather is a nightmare. The shear compliance of Oury push-ons seems comparable to Rev from a parking lot spin and the radial compliance is better without the plastic core.

I've mentioned them before and don't meant to be repetitive, but they're ten bucks and have significantly improved my riding comfort. Many of my riding friends with large hands have switched to Oury push-ons. Some exceptions:

• One prefers a thinner grip. Sensus Swayze push-on. They're really nice, if you like thin grips.
• One likes an ulnar shelf. Ergon GS1.
• One is just contrarian and uses cork bar tape or Ritchey foam grips. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if he starts riding fixed gear on dirt.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 4:57 Quote
I've got esi push on's on my ebike, they have been a real eye opener. Going to ditch the odi rogues on the enduro bike when the racing starts.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 4:58 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
I've got esi push on's on my ebike, they have been a real eye opener. Going to ditch the odi rogues on the enduro bike when the racing starts.
This is what I've run for the last few bikes, really don't have much issue with them except durability but would kinda like something new just to switch it up.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 5:39 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I've mentioned them enough times, so I'll be brief: Oury push-ons with safety wire. SO GOOD.

I have been out out the helicopter wrenching game for 2 years now... Maybe it's time to bust out the safety wire pliers and retire a set of the rev grips..

Post photos so I can judge your safety wiring ability Wink as is tradition.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
This is what I've run for the last few bikes, really don't have much issue with them except durability but would kinda like something new just to switch it up.
Been running Renthal ultra tacky for a dozen rides. Got them as a gift, good timing cuz my esi were shredded from a mild off. The Renthals have insane grip and feel but are thin with no ulnar support. I’m digging them. We’ll se how I feel after park laps next Saturday.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
Been running Renthal ultra tacky for a dozen rides. Got them as a gift, good timing cuz my esi were shredded from a mild off. The Renthals have insane grip and feel but are thin with no ulnar support. I’m digging them. We’ll se how I feel after park laps next Saturday.

That’s how I feel. Awesome traction, but I’ll likely be switching back to Sensus Swayze slip on for a bit more comfort.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
Handlebar rise?

Current bar have 15mm rise. I barely notice it. Running a bunch of spacers under the stem, approximately 20-25mm.

Though about trying a 38mm rise bar. I figure I can always slam the stem again and end up at basically the same point.

Does rise in the handlebar impact stiffness? Like, will a high rise bar be more harsh?

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
If anything it would make the bar more compliant if all factors are equal and they don't make changes to their bar if it has a rise. I just purchased a 30mm rise bar as I feel with my new bike with longer reach and steeper seat tube they are too low. I also don't have extra room to add spacers under my stem.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Handlebar rise?

Current bar have 15mm rise. I barely notice it. Running a bunch of spacers under the stem, approximately 20-25mm.

Though about trying a 38mm rise bar. I figure I can always slam the stem again and end up at basically the same point.

Does rise in the handlebar impact stiffness? Like, will a high rise bar be more harsh?

Well if you’re already swapping bars and worried about harshness then you could try the one up bars, assuming the angles work for you.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
seraph wrote:
Deity Knuckleduster. Had them on my Stumpjumper Pro, loved them. They should be waiting for me at the shop, I'll get them tomorrow. Just fat enough for my large palms and soft enough that I don't have to wear gloves.

My fav as well

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:

I ran those till the fat paws came around.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
theweaz wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Handlebar rise?

Well if you’re already swapping bars and worried about harshness then you could try the one up bars, assuming the angles work for you.

I really don't want to go back to a 35mm stem. For no other reason than it's another cost (between $35-$60) on top of a $140 bar.

OneUp readily admitted that their ovalized bar was an attempt to add back in the vibration reduction with flex that 31.8 already had. Granted, a 35mm bar will have more steering precision, but I don't need that.

My SQLab 30x is 31.8, but the problem is that its wall thickness is pretty intense. I'm not entirely sure they are any less harsh than the cheap RaceFace Atlas bars I was running previously.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023822
Mobile Version of Website