Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
frigofff wrote:
wait you took the paint off to save weight but you’re gonna clear coat it?
Genius shit right...

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
You have to clear it otherwise uv light will degrade the resin. Should still be a bit lighter. There was a pretty thick coat. I mostly did it to match my rims.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 22:43 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
You have to clear it otherwise uv light will degrade the resin. Should still be a bit lighter. There was a pretty thick coat. I mostly did it to match my rims.
You realize that clear isn't gonna block uv light, right?

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
hmstuna wrote:

You're preventing natural selection. Pls stop.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 23:03 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
hmstuna wrote:

While it's true not all clears block uv light you can get ones that do. That is a major reason people use clear coats.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
frigofff wrote:
wait you took the paint off to save weight but you’re gonna clear coat it?
Genius shit right...
Speed holes are making a come back.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Sunglasses are gonna blow your mind

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
hmstuna wrote:

Unless you're trying to build a sub-10 lb hill climb road bike, removing paint from your components and/or frame is not going to make any sort of noticeable difference in the perceived weight of your bike. My buddy stripped his entire Cannondale Super 6 Evo frame to make a 9 lb bike and he only ended up saving about 100g. Which is significant to someone who is already counting grams, but wouldn't be to someone whose bike already weighs over 20 lbs and which was going to be ridden off road.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 1:13 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
hmstuna wrote:

Ordinary glasses or contact lenses with UV protection is really going to blow your mind.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
I would check your dental insurance. Carbon Renthal‘s have cracking issues enough without material being removed. I don’t think that was your best idea for weight savings (I couldn’t be convinced to take a knife to any handlebar).

That's a bummer... What about other carbon bars?
Say, the One Up ones? did someone hear something about One Up carbon bars causing any issues?
I love them but I love my teeth even more...

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 1:53 Quote
I only heard/saw about Fatbar lites breaking. Don't go overly light and you'll be fine (assuming you torque your bars propperly). I trust my Truativ bars completely

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 3:18 Quote
hmstuna wrote:

That really depends on the resin used.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
While it's true not all clears block uv light you can get ones that do. That is a major reason people use clear coats.

He's right here, anybody remember what happened to the single stage paints on cars of old? Pepperidge farms remembers.

bengtleon wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:

Ordinary glasses or contact lenses with UV protection is really going to blow your mind.

Sunglasses without UV protection do more damage than clear lenses with UV protection as your pupils dialate more in the tinted/darker light.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
hmstuna,

Love it. Thank you for getting weird. Clean job, too.

hmstuna wrote:
I didn't even go through the cosmetic ud layer.

Are you sure that's a cosmetic layer?

hmstuna wrote:
They're going to be clear coated too so I'll be able to see any cracks.

You may not see damage the same way you'd see it in metal. Interlaminar separation would be hidden.

hmstuna wrote:
The stem doesn't look nearly as good. Enve has not impressed me with their quality, there are a bunch of voids and filler, and that is with me scraping off a bunch. Honestly I'm almost more nervous about that. I might see if I can squeeze my intend stem on there, even though it isn't supposed to fit.

To be fair to Enve, you're comparing a part that's fairly easy to execute in carbon to one that's particularly difficult. Stems are small and full of complex geometry with sharp gradients in wall thickness. There's a reason why we see few fully carbon stems, they cost a fortune, and may be heavier than aluminum stems.

seraph wrote:
Unless you're trying to build a sub-10 lb hill climb road bike, removing paint from your components and/or frame is not going to make any sort of noticeable difference in the perceived weight of your bike. My buddy stripped his entire Cannondale Super 6 Evo frame to make a 9 lb bike and he only ended up saving about 100g. Which is significant to someone who is already counting grams, but wouldn't be to someone whose bike already weighs over 20 lbs and which was going to be ridden off road.

The lightest "paint" I recall from a bike that looked finished was about 15 g of vapor deposition. 100 g - 200 g is common when a company is paying attention, especially if the frame is simple and has modest surface area (ex. road bike). 200 g - 400 g is common for suspension frames. The worst I've heard is 800 g - 900 g from a small company that just accepted what their factory offered without looking into it; they've since addressed the problem.

My guess for the heaviest production finish was Schwinn's "bass boat" series, used in the '90s on their Homegrown bikes. It looked incredible, but was incredibly thick. In the photo, you can see how they had to mask the derailleur clamp area to manage the dimension; if you squint hard enough, you can actually see the paint step down in thickness.

Schwinn 4-Banger

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039978
Mobile Version of Website