Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
Giant has 3 manufacturing facilities. Taiwan, China and the Netherlands.

How many engineers does SDG employ? How many designers do they employ?

My point is quite a few companies just have design and marketing inhouse and farm out engineering and testing.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Giant has 3 manufacturing facilities. Taiwan, China and the Netherlands.

How many engineers does SDG employ? How many designers do they employ?

My point is quite a few companies just have design and marketing inhouse and farm out engineering and testing.

“Quite a few” is very different to “all” or “most”. I understand the point you’re trying to make and it’s correct in that some brands do only marketing and design in house and farm out the engineering/testing to Asia. You just made your point rather poorly by saying “all” or “most” do this as it’s horribly inaccurate. Companies that don’t have their own engineering is just how they want their business model to work. If you have a killer design team and marketing team and the customer is pumped on the product, then that’s great. Inversely if a brand wants to make the best product they can in house and engineers the hell out of it and the consumer is also stoked on the bike, then that’s also great.

SDG is a small team but we design, engineer and test everything internally. That’s as much info as I’ll give you.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
I had not had coffee yet. But yes this is what I was getting at and that the point was this carbonda frame is really no different than pretty much anything else on the market. I am just not paying for some brands marketing team.

Good to hear you guys keeping that all in house. I just think too many campanies sell/market in a way that makes the customer think this is how all companies run. When in reality there are quite a few ways to run a bike company in today's world.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
Man I love using coffee as an excuse. I'm not saying it's not valid...sometimes. lol

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
Pre-coffee or too many beers best excuses on the internet.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
I thought so. That is why I used it.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Can confirm that Rocky Mountain has their own extensive R&D center at their headquarters here in North Van. They build mules in house test em and break em. Carbon frames made overseas are tested and broken in house also.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
lightest pedals?

Not bad. I'm sure you could drill some holes in there and make them a bit lighter too. Speed holes.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
just take out a few of the pins and you can make them lighter

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:46 Quote
seraph wrote:
sonicsloth wrote:
lightest pedals?

Not bad. I'm sure you could drill some holes in there and make them a bit lighter too. Speed holes.

Already did.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
Circe wrote:
Can we talk about Yeti? WTF is that 115? Transition, who is presumably much smaller, is eating their lunch with the Spur.

All the 115 hate is music to my ears. Can't wait for everyone to not buy one so that I can score a clearance deal in another year. Throw in a 2* Works headset and it will be GTG. lolz

Buy all the Transitions, people!

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Circe wrote:
Can we talk about Yeti? WTF is that 115? Transition, who is presumably much smaller, is eating their lunch with the Spur.

All the 115 hate is music to my ears. Can't wait for everyone to not buy one so that I can score a clearance deal in another year. Throw in a 2* Works headset and it will be GTG. lolz

Bad news for you buddy yeti uses integrated headsets on all their bikes, so no anglesets. Major reason I didn't get an sb-150.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
Circe wrote:

Bad news for you buddy yeti uses integrated headsets on all their bikes, so no anglesets. Major reason I didn't get an sb-150.

Really? I know the older SB could run them. That’s a bummer. 2* Angleset would slacken the HA & steepen the SA to be perfectly acceptable.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
offset bushing, 5mm crown race, 10mm longer fork.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028269
Mobile Version of Website