PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
That explains the saddle sores...

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
Rectum? Damn near killed 'em!

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm asking why I would want a "super high end" fork with different tech when the current high end models on the market work perfectly well. Legitimate curiosity.

Same reason people want a Lyrik instead of a Yari: because it works a little better. Or XX instead of GX, 120 TPI casings instead of 30 TPI ... We could do this all day.

Assuming it really is better, as their shocks are, I'd rather pay a hefty premium for a fancy fork and mount it on an aluminum frame than put an average fork on a carbon frame.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
I'm asking why I would want a "super high end" fork with different tech when the current high end models on the market work perfectly well. Legitimate curiosity.

Same reason people want a Lyrik instead of a Yari: because it works a little better. Or XX instead of GX, 120 TPI casings instead of 30 TPI ... We could do this all day.

Assuming it really is better, as their shocks are, I'd rather pay a hefty premium for a fancy fork and mount it on an aluminum frame than put an average fork on a carbon frame.

Agreed. We’re all suckers for marginal performance gains.

Heck, I’m keen on getting a new GRIP 2 34. Tried one and realized it shit all over my Fit 4. Do I need it? No. But it makes my hands feel better and gives me a lot for adjustability.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

My favorite fork ever is Lyric RC2DH coil. Still going strong on my old 26”. Everything else I tried feels a downgrade.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 22:01 Quote
Yeah my marzocchi rc3 evo was probably the best fork I have run damping wise. I wish that fork had a sturdier steerer the alloy one flexed all over the place.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

What I'm after is: why is it better?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 22:37 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

Becaus Kaz says it is

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 22:59 Quote
seraph wrote:

That's to be determined. I don't yet know enough about the damper to discuss it from a mechanical standpoint, let alone actual performance.

The spring is a bit more clever than most, with a two-stage air spring and a small coil to reduce starting force.

It sounds like EXT is using better tolerances and lower friction materials and / or finishes.

Ignoring the possibility of better damping, which is likely, it should improve upon typical air-sprung forks with:

- more mid-stroke support
- lower starting force
- less friction

That's a good start, but two-stage springs and low friction probably aren't enough to justify a large price premium, so the damper had better be good.

Axxe wrote:
My favorite fork ever is Lyric RC2DH coil.

I had the air version and I agree, it was by far the best I had ridden; the coil must've been incredible. It was so much better than its competitors that maybe we remember it as being even better than it was. If subsequent products weren't superior, it's unlikely RockShox would've discontinued the MiCo DH.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
I guess I'll wait until there's a hands-on review.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 23:07 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

The holy grail of suspension setup. I’m not saying this fork is it but in theory all forks are setup with a compromise between sensitivity and plushness off the top, support in the
middle, and tunable ramp up at the bottom. Also friction between moving parts. Seems like EXT is trying to narrow the gap. Not saying I need it or would even notice it (maybe but for that price I’ll never know). But on paper it seems like some neat ideas to achieve the best at both ends.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 23:56 Quote
Incremental gains I guess.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
Exactly. Just like almost everything. And not a good "value", also like almost everything. If it does what it says on the tin, it will be a step up for those who want it.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
Axxe wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:

My favorite fork ever is Lyric RC2DH coil. Still going strong on my old 26”. Everything else I tried feels a downgrade.

With a few modifications you can drop the coil side internals into a modern lyrik or yari.

I don't get why they dropped the oneloc rtr charger damper, for my use nothing is ever going to beat a dual remote lockout coil. I should have bought a few spares haha.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
That Lyrik stil gives me fond memories. Heavy AF compared to todays standards, and rode deep in the travel but
smooth, good support and relatively good bottom out resistance. MiCo DH was GOOD.
I never got along with anything running Charger after that Lyrik.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020403
Mobile Version of Website