Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
So is it me, or have I noticed it's not much about weight weenieing now compared to back then?

Seems like now it's mainly about functionality, which I'm all down for.

That being said, ordered some Deity things to make my life easier, shave maybe a gram or two, ordered a Wolftooth ring since OneUp and Absolute Black are all out of stock in the size, and color and shape I want. Now I'm thinking of replacing my alu Deity bars with the carbon version of them to shave over 100g in just bar.

This is a weight weenie thread!? I'm new here, I thought we were playing the weight game in the other direction. Shooting for the magic four ohh!

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
PHeller wrote:
If weight doesnt matter, why are road bikes so light? Is it just a case of aiming for a competitive advantage against people who all very similar in terms of output/weight?

If I can climb faster and longer on a lighter bike, and descend more confidently on a heavier bike, would a lighter bike that somehow adds back that confidence without the weight be superior?

If two bikes are roughly the same level of performance and price, but one is 5lbs lighter than the other, why wouldnt you go with the lighter option?
Road bikes have stopped pursuing lighter and lighter designs too. Pretty much the whole industry has moved to durability and overall performance over weight reduction at this point.

Ye its all about aero in road these days. People rocking 35cm wide drop bars to mimic tt position

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 21:44 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
PHeller wrote:
If weight doesnt matter, why are road bikes so light? Is it just a case of aiming for a competitive advantage against people who all very similar in terms of output/weight?

If I can climb faster and longer on a lighter bike, and descend more confidently on a heavier bike, would a lighter bike that somehow adds back that confidence without the weight be superior?

If two bikes are roughly the same level of performance and price, but one is 5lbs lighter than the other, why wouldnt you go with the lighter option?
Road bikes have stopped pursuing lighter and lighter designs too. Pretty much the whole industry has moved to durability and overall performance over weight reduction at this point.

Except how the new S-Works Tarmac SL7 is 14.7 lbs stock in 56cm.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 22:36 Quote
Different question. Best northshore style bike rack?

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
Circe wrote:

ReconRacks out of Bellingham I think? Best rack out there.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:09 Quote
PHeller wrote:

1. They don't need to be as strong, so they're always going to use less material.
2. Road bikes are simpler machines without suspension, dropper posts, etc., so that takes out a lot of heavy stuff.
3. Light weight sells bikes, regardless of whether it makes better bikes.

PHeller wrote:

Yes, but it will be more expensive. The point is that for a finite budget, allocating money toward weight reduction is rarely a good return on investment.

PHeller wrote:

That option isn't realistic. You will not encounter bikes at the same price with the same performance and a large weight difference.

If that situation were somehow true, sure, go for the lighter bike - and fire the incompetent product manager who spec'd the heavy one.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:20 Quote
Circe wrote:

I get if you need to carry more than 4 bikes.. But am I the only one that doesn't love hanging style racks?

Also maybe it's because I don't have a truck or bigger SUV and drive Subarus.. Hanging style rack put the rear wheels too much in harms way for me.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:38 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

I get if you need to carry more than 4 bikes.. But am I the only one that doesn't love hanging style racks?

Also maybe it's because I don't have a truck or bigger SUV and drive Subarus.. Hanging style rack put the rear wheels too much in harms way for me.

I love my north shore six bike! Its on a grand cherokee. Shuttles ferda

However its an older design compared to a Lolo 6 bike rack. I'd get a Lolo 6 bike over a north shore rack as the mast leans forward when loaded on most vehicles. Better departure angle on rouger, deeper shuttle roads when loaded with bicycles.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
Low vehicles and fewer bikes are better served by a two-bike horizontal tray.

Vertical racks are great for tall vehicles and lots of bikes.

I used to transport a lot of bikes with a very small vehicle. By far the best solution was a SportsRig trailer. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a larger vehicle.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 0:54 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

Don’t you have a giant Ford thing?

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 4:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
Except how the new S-Works Tarmac SL7 is 14.7 lbs stock in 56cm.
No, that one too... the frame alone is like 90g heavier than the SL6 and the fork is a bit heavier as well. That might not sound like a lot but it's like 10% heavier than the SL6. Compare that to the SL6 vs the SL5, the SL6 disc frame shaved off something like 200g over the SL5 disc.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Low vehicles and fewer bikes are better served by a two-bike horizontal tray.

Vertical racks are great for tall vehicles and lots of bikes.

I used to transport a lot of bikes with a very small vehicle. By far the best solution was a SportsRig trailer. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a larger vehicle.

I mean, I do 2- 3 bikes out back on a 1up and then 2-3 up on roof racks. I have done as many as 6 on a subaru before.

Circe wrote:

Don’t you have a giant Ford thing?

The old '66 Ford doesn't move bikes.. And yes I am in the process of building a newer huge Ford thing.. But not done yet.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
Weight on road bikes really only matters when climbing for longer periods. In all other circumstances aero matters much more. Especially at pro tour speeds.

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
RMWB wrote:
Weight on road bikes really only matters when climbing for longer periods. In all other circumstances aero matters much more. I especially pro tour speeds.

I disagree. F=MA, reduction in weight reduces force required to accelerate. I wish my road rig was lighter.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Drop weight on all rotating mass parts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019889
Mobile Version of Website