Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
AXS Reverb is the ultimate slopeduro dropper.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
My friend Dillon Butcher bar spins and tail whips his 5010 with a hydraulic reverb lever and everything else situated normally on the bars. I'll see if I can find out how he has everything setup on his rig.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Has anyone here personally successfully set up a trail bike with the usual controls (two brakes, one shifter, non-wireless dropper) in such a way that enables barspins/whips? I've seen a few photos floating around, but I'm not sure what the best approach is. All my favourite ~30yo BMX pros are getting mountain bikes and jibbing in the woods, and it just looks like too much fun.

I have an Evil Calling, which has external brake/shifter that run along the centre of the underside of the TT, and internal dropper that enters on the right side of the DT near the HT. I've modified a starnut/topcap before so I'm all good there, and I can run rear brake and shifter cable together (both still uncut) and have them both reach their cable guide via either left or right side of the headtube. That's the easy part.

I have the option to either run a Reverb or a OneUp post. I am inclined to think that the Reverb is the better call for this very specific application, as hydraulic hose tends to deal with excessive length and tight bends better than mechanical in my experience. One option I've seen would be to run the dropper on the left side, have it come over to meet the right side controls, and shrinkwrap all the overlap together (like this). Another option would be to run an older push style remote upside down on the right side and keep all the rearbound controls together the entire way. I haven't actually tried this out yet, so I have no idea how well the ergonomics will work out with the Shimano XT bits hanging out on the right side of the bar. First method lets me use a better remote but I'm not sure how it works out IRL, second method looks cleaner and lets me use a cheaper/smaller remote, but possibly shit ergonomics.

Thoughts?

Taking the hands off the bars with a dropper post is sketch, I've done that and bumped the lever landing with the seat halfway up (luckily didn't crash) and now its extremely rare for me to take my hands off the bars in the air if there is a dropper lever. In theory the AXS one would be perfect but I don't think there is a way to program in a slight 1s delay yet to save you if you bump the levers when grabbing the bars again, its super responsive and instant activation. I guess you could always move the lever way in to reduce the risk.

If you run the woolftooth lever you can add extra slack into the system before it activates to keep it from activating when its wrapped around the stem.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
For you guys all hot n sweating dreaming about drop bars on the Super Caliber.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDt21QQn5EC/

Looks the same to me.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
selling my old 2017MY CarbonJack and looking at replacements.
1st choice is 2020MY CarbonJack but wandering if anyone else has any suggestions.

I want something pretty progressive, 150-160mm rear and carbon.
Not santacruz or intense (or Unno, because 6'4)

I've looked at the usual suspects and nothing really excites me more than the new CJ.

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
I mean the CJ is pretty rad bike, it's price is really its only major issue - most of us can't afford it.

It's not the lightest, but at 160mm you're not going to find a lot of anything that's much lighter outside of a Scott or Ripmo.

Carbon might turn some off. If I was really convinced on staying aluminum I'd be looking at Last or a Reeb.

I think sometimes people feel like if there bike or it's brand isn't being talked about, that they aren't riding something hip or cool. Fact is, the vast majority of the industry are sheep and will ride whatever their bros ride, and when they see something different, the think it's wicked cool, but really have no interest in owning that product. Plus, premium products that few can demo are also going to be less talked about, especially if they only revise or update a product once every couple of years. The Carbonjack is expensive, most people don't know about it and can't afford it, and they make a single product, so the brand isn't going to get much feedback or notoriety.

If you like the CJ and can afford the new one, enjoy your unique luxury ride.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
The geo on the carbonjack isn’t very modern if that’s something important to you. You could get a steeper seat angle and slacker headtube on pretty much every brands 160mm enduro bike. Again that might not be what your after, but at that price I think you could get geo more in line with what companies are moving towards.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
selling my old 2017MY CarbonJack and looking at replacements.
1st choice is 2020MY CarbonJack but wandering if anyone else has any suggestions.

I want something pretty progressive, 150-160mm rear and carbon.
Not santacruz or intense (or Unno, because 6'4)

I've looked at the usual suspects and nothing really excites me more than the new CJ.

Thoughts?

The new last carbon frame?, seriously light, really good geo, very good looking and very expensive

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
crs-one wrote:
Has anyone here personally successfully set up a trail bike with the usual controls (two brakes, one shifter, non-wireless dropper) in such a way that enables barspins/whips? I've seen a few photos floating around, but I'm not sure what the best approach is. All my favourite ~30yo BMX pros are getting mountain bikes and jibbing in the woods, and it just looks like too much fun.

I have an Evil Calling, which has external brake/shifter that run along the centre of the underside of the TT, and internal dropper that enters on the right side of the DT near the HT. I've modified a starnut/topcap before so I'm all good there, and I can run rear brake and shifter cable together (both still uncut) and have them both reach their cable guide via either left or right side of the headtube. That's the easy part.

I have the option to either run a Reverb or a OneUp post. I am inclined to think that the Reverb is the better call for this very specific application, as hydraulic hose tends to deal with excessive length and tight bends better than mechanical in my experience. One option I've seen would be to run the dropper on the left side, have it come over to meet the right side controls, and shrinkwrap all the overlap together (like this). Another option would be to run an older push style remote upside down on the right side and keep all the rearbound controls together the entire way. I haven't actually tried this out yet, so I have no idea how well the ergonomics will work out with the Shimano XT bits hanging out on the right side of the bar. First method lets me use a better remote but I'm not sure how it works out IRL, second method looks cleaner and lets me use a cheaper/smaller remote, but possibly shit ergonomics.

Thoughts?

Taking the hands off the bars with a dropper post is sketch, I've done that and bumped the lever landing with the seat halfway up (luckily didn't crash) and now its extremely rare for me to take my hands off the bars in the air if there is a dropper lever. In theory the AXS one would be perfect but I don't think there is a way to program in a slight 1s delay yet to save you if you bump the levers when grabbing the bars again, its super responsive and instant activation. I guess you could always move the lever way in to reduce the risk.

If you run the woolftooth lever you can add extra slack into the system before it activates to keep it from activating when its wrapped around the stem.

I have grabbed brake levers before, but never had issues with dropper... Probably done 200+ suicide no handers on trail bikes. Maybe I am just cursing myself. And maybe barspins are different.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
Just move your shit more inboard if you're scared.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 14:48 Quote
I mean, Semenuk just did a double bar in his latest trail bike video....

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
Circe wrote:
Diety flat pedals and Five Ten shoes.

#flatpedalswinmedals

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
My buddy Dillon switched to the old style reverb lever/plunger, put it on the RH side, good length on the rest of his cables/lines and he is good to bar spin/tail whip.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 16:31 Quote
Circe wrote:
I mean, Semenuk just did a double bar in his latest trail bike video....

We are talking about mortals here..

Semenuk could probably tailwhip the 70lb cargo trike in our showroom off the curb.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
My buddy Dillon switched to the old style reverb lever/plunger, put it on the RH side, good length on the rest of his cables/lines and he is good to bar spin/tail whip.

Thanks for asking. I looked through his IG trying to find setup photos, dude shreds.

@Kitejumping those are good points that I hadn't really considered.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035757
Mobile Version of Website