Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 0:23 Quote
Just a quick one. Friend needs a new chain on his 11 speed sram. Am I right to think 12 speed eagle chain will work?
Want him to get an xo1 cause they last such a long time

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 0:27 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Every ride I'm on I have (at minimum) a tube, 8 bacon strips, 2 25g co2s, a tiny mini pump, a clif energy gel, a tiny chamois butter packet (you never know lol ), wet wipes, zip ties, electrical tape, tire boot, chain break tool, and a lighter in my little bontrager fanny pack. I rarely drive to the trails but if I do I'll have a key in the fanny pack also.
Then I have the one up tool in my headtube with various emergency pills in the stash capsule and a 21-26oz bottle in the cage. A phone in my pocket, and garmin watch on my wrist.
I don't notice the weight of any of these things and they are with me on everything from 8 km rides to 80 km rides.

Jesus man, you are packed for multiday survival, not a ride around trails lol

I'm bringing oneup edc pump with tool, plug and leatherman for pliers and blade. Other than that, wallet, phone and car or home keys that are always with me.
Hydration depends on time of the year and size of the ride. Single bottle, double bottle or hydration pack.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
How often do you ride, and actually need a tool whilst riding?

As in....how many times have you used your multitool during a 2hr ride. Trying to lighten myself and how much I'm carrying, which really is hardly anything.

For me it's all about how far you're riding from your house/car and how difficult it would be to hike out. Similar to yourself I like to ride light, but simultaneously you never want to get caught a long way from civilisation with a broken bike, particularly if it starts raining (which it does a lot here).

If I'm gonna be more than like 10-20 minutes from the car it's definitely worth bringing a multitool out IMO. There's a lot of fancy solutions out there but honestly a multitool in the pocket of my riding shorts works for me. Besides a phone that's often the only thing I bring out - I have needed one many times. A lose bolt/axle or saddle/handlebars not straight can be a huge pain in the ass if you don't have a tool. It's not that much weight either. Worth having.

I only start to carry a bag that contains a tubeless repair kit, tube, pump, tire lever, chain link, tape, zip ties etc when it gets to being like over 40 minutes from the car. I will almost always do without bringing all that stuff out if I can.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
Rattsl wrote:

As in....how many times have you used your multitool during a 2hr ride. Trying to lighten myself and how much I'm carrying, which really is hardly anything.

Unless you are racing or extremely uncomfortable it seems foolish to ride without at least basic tools.

I might be unique though, Im happy to wear a relarively full hydration pack with tools and spares even for a 5 mile ride.

Sometimes I go months without needing tools on trail, then Ill need something everyday for a week straight.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
I have gotten a bit lazy with tubes and a pump because it has been so long since I have had a flat. I did have to walk out once last year but I was already more than half way down the mountain.

I just need to get a pump I can strap to my bike and strap my tube on and I will be good to go then.

I did ride with my pack last weekend since it was a going to be a big day out of town and it wasn't too bad except it was the hottest day of the year. I did appreciate the extra water though went through 1 litre in the pack and a small bottle as well.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Rattsl wrote:

Unless you are racing or extremely uncomfortable it seems foolish to ride without at least basic tools.

I might be unique though, Im happy to wear a relarively full hydration pack with tools and spares even for a 5 mile ride.

Sometimes I go months without needing tools on trail, then Ill need something everyday for a week straight.

Same here. Just last week, I snapped my shift cable on a ride. So 10 minutes later, after slapping in a new cable I had in my pack, I was back riding. If I didn’t have a spare cable and tools, I’d have been screwed. Like has already been said, it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Jesus man, you are packed for multiday survival, not a ride around trails lol

I'm bringing oneup edc pump with tool, plug and leatherman for pliers and blade. Other than that, wallet, phone and car or home keys that are always with me.
Hydration depends on time of the year and size of the ride. Single bottle, double bottle or hydration pack.

I just leave all of the stuff listed in my fanny pack in there and throw it on whenever I go for a ride. The fanny pack is like 20% full with the stuff I have listed, so I don't see why not. If I need anything, I almost always have what I need. No brainer IMO.

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
Have not ridden with a tool in ages on the MTB, I try to ride only with a bottle & car key. Road riding - all the time, CO2, tire lever, etc, when I'm 30-40 miles from home but on the MTB here at least it's all so bike parky you can see your car damn near the whole time. I'm a minimalist though, and do a pre/post ride bike check. If traveling for work and bringing rig, I've got a heavy travel toolset in the car at all times.

I may be in the far minority here as I ride in jersey/bib spandex nearly 100% of the time. Especially in summer.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Just a quick one. Friend needs a new chain on his 11 speed sram. Am I right to think 12 speed eagle chain will work?
Want him to get an xo1 cause they last such a long time

It works just fine. You can even use that chain on 11 speed Shimano cassettes for better wear life as well.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
For anyone that rides without tools don't be surprised when someone says "no go walk it out" when you ask to borrow their tools out on a ride.

I will lend my tools to an obvious noob but tell the bro in all matching kit and baller bike to go pound sand.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
For anyone that rides without tools don't be surprised when someone says "no go walk it out" when you ask to borrow their tools out on a ride.

I will lend my tools to an obvious noob but tell the bro in all matching kit and baller bike to go pound sand.

Never said no personally

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:

I embrace my choices, if you saw our trail systems I think you'd have similar views. It is Minnesota, it's not that exciting...

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
I may give someone a hard time about not having tools and make some cracks about saving a few grams, but it's pretty harsh to not help someone ... especially when there's a good chance I'll eventually be the optimistic fool asking to borrow a chain breaker.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:

Never said no personally

Yeah same here, I might be chasing sunlight and act a little irritated but I've always helped a fellow rider in the bush in need.

isaacschmidt wrote:
I embrace my choices, if you saw our trail systems I think you'd have similar views. It is Minnesota, it's not that exciting...

Yeah even my shorter rides are out in the bush and would require some reasonable hiking back into civilization.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
Anyone think the bro that purposely rolls with no tools or way of fixing a flat is going to bring it along with them the next time after you bail them out? Not likely, only way they will learn to be prepared is some discomfort.

I have had the same dude ask me multiple time on trails.

In the WBP I have stopped to and lend out my pump once, f guy broke it. Another time I gave my spare tube, then proceeded to flat on my next lap and had to mess with dried out patch glue.

You want to borrow my pump and take my spare tube in the WBP? It's $100 cash on the spot.

I get it if you are a short walk out and prepared to live with the consequences. I don't get people that get grumpy face when told no for being purposely unprepared and expecting someone else to be bail them out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025535
Mobile Version of Website