Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Wale wrote:
Moving on from spokes to rims. My RF ARC30 in the rear is pretty much trashed. Does anyone have experience of the Hunt enduro rims. Or is EX511 just the way to go? Other options with 30mm inner width?

Whisky No.9 36W if you want carbon. I've got them on my Tallboy 4 and they've been awesome so far.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
Wale wrote:
Moving on from spokes to rims. My RF ARC30 in the rear is pretty much trashed. Does anyone have experience of the Hunt enduro rims. Or is EX511 just the way to go? Other options with 30mm inner width?

XM481 is also 30mm internal for a little lighter than EX511

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
seraph wrote:
Wale wrote:

Whisky No.9 36W if you want carbon. I've got them on my Tallboy 4 and they've been awesome so far.
Aren't the Hunt Enduro wheelset's like $500... compared to $500 per rim for the Whisky?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
Alloy and sub 100 €. And this is for my enduro/park bike so I want the rims to hold but something lighter than full on DH rims.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
I had heard that the Hunt rims were fairly soft but that’s purely secondhand info.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
Wale wrote:
Alloy and sub 100 €. And this is for my enduro/park bike so I want the rims to hold but something lighter than full on DH rims.

Curious what your thoughts were on the ARC's? Were they the asymmetric model or the older ones? I am just curious cause I am running them on my current bike and they seam to be holding up well. Ran the previous version on my DH bike and they seemed to do pretty good as well.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
Hard to go wrong with DT Swiss.

Ibis is making some nice alloy rims too.

Having ridden "hard" and "soft" rims over the years, I'm still conflicted about which I prefer. Harder rims are stiffer for sure, but when they fail its usually bad news (rim wall cracks from dents, nipples pulling through the rim).

That being said, my last two experiences with "soft" rims required more maintenance.

I'd go hard. Giggity.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Wale wrote:

Curious what your thoughts were on the ARC's? Were they the asymmetric model or the older ones? I am just curious cause I am running them on my current bike and they seam to be holding up well. Ran the previous version on my DH bike and they seemed to do pretty good as well.

They are the asymmetric model. I got them used in February. I got them from a lbs employee and he had built the wheels for himself last summer. They were in great condition and perfectly trued and the front wheel still is. However, the rear rim has seen some abuse during the last six months and got some serious dents and I just noticed that the rim is starting to crack on the seam. I swapped Huck Norris for Cushcore a month ago and I think that was a good decision. I don't know what else to say.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
Wale wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
Wale wrote:

They are the asymmetric model. I got them used in February. I got them from a lbs employee and he had built the wheels for himself last summer. They were in great condition and perfectly trued and the front wheel still is. However, the rear rim has seen some abuse during the last six months and got some serious dents and I just noticed that the rim is starting to crack on the seam. I swapped Huck Norris for Cushcore a month ago and I think that was a good decision. I don't know what else to say.

I am just curious as to why you don't throw a new one of those one there? Seems to fit your criteria and will be a direct swap.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Wale wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:

I am just curious as to why you don't throw a new one of those one there? Seems to fit your criteria and will be a direct swap.

Well if there is something stronger in the same weight class, I would prefer that.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
You're a hack?

We have hard rocks here. Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
Wale wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
You're a hack?

We have hard cocks here. Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
Arc HD?

A little heavier, but not by much. Relatively new in the lineup, so learning from past mistakes, all good things.

Downside might be a different ERD requiring different spokes.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:24 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Having ridden "hard" and "soft" rims over the years, I'm still conflicted about which I prefer. Harder rims are stiffer for sure, but when they fail its usually bad news (rim wall cracks from dents, nipples pulling through the rim).

There are two different things here.

1. Material properties
2. Rim design

Some rims are make with stronger aluminum than others. This does not affect the stiffness, though. Material stiffness is almost completely determined by the base material (aluminum, in this case) and material strength is determined by a lot of things, particularly the alloy.

The overall stiffness is a product of base material stiffness and shape. A rim made from a weak aluminum alloy could feel stiffer and could resist denting better than a rim made from a stronger aluminum alloy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028762
Mobile Version of Website