Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 17:55 Quote
So yesterday riding to the trailhead from home on the road my brand new XX1 chain snapped on the link right next to the quick link.

I've had like a dozen GX chains on my last couple of bikes and have never had a chain snap. I expected the top of the line chain to be far tougher, and it snaps 1 km in on an uphill paved road climb..

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
So yesterday riding to the trailhead from home on the road my brand new XX1 chain snapped on the link right next to the quick link.

I've had like a dozen GX chains on my last couple of bikes and have never had a chain snap. I expected the top of the line chain to be far tougher, and it snaps 1 km in on an uphill paved road climb..

You probably got stronger

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
I doubt it! I had 6 weeks off the bike recently due to a broken foot. lol

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I doubt it! I had 6 weeks off the bike recently due to a broken foot. lol

Fatter then?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
Haha one would think.. I trained alot while injured...
I'm just feeling ripped off getting the fancier, stronger chain and having it snap while cruising on the road to the trailhead wtf

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 22:48 Quote
Swap in a second quick link for the broken one and just use it. Not ideal or ‘best practice’ but there aren’t any significant concerns in doing so

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
Warranty it. I had the same thing happen. SRAM sent me a new X01 chain.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 0:03 Quote
riish wrote:
Swap in a second quick link for the broken one and just use it. Not ideal or ‘best practice’ but there aren’t any significant concerns in doing so
Had the same thing happen to me, this is what I wound up doing. Haven't had any issues since then.

Sounds like SRAM needs some better qc on their chains though.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
I've run two quicklinks on a chain before. Didn't break again after the initial break.

Try a warranty claim first I guess, but if not, there's you solution

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
Any recommendations for a rain jacket to ride with in the PNW? Looking for suggestions

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
AWFAUL wrote:
Any recommendations for a rain jacket to ride with in the PNW? Looking for suggestions

Depends on if you’re willing to drop the coin, but the Arcteryx NorVan is the only jacket I’ve ever used that offers the breathability to make it a functional option for higher intensity trail riding. I lived in Vancouver/Squamish for 10 years before moving to Kamloops so I’ve tried plenty of jackets and the NorVan was by far the best for waterproof+breathable+fit. Recently I tried the Race Face Conspiracy jacket and it’s very close in breathability. NorVan is still more breathable and lighter, but the RF is a more affordable option that’s still plenty breathable.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
Love my Endura gear!

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
In my experience the only jackets that actually work are expensive, too expensive to ride in

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
tom666 wrote:
In my experience the only jackets that actually work are expensive, too expensive to ride in

This. Hell I work for a company that makes out technical softgoods that are more expensive than a lot of bikes and I still take pause on whether I really need to bring out a 3L jacket for trail riding.

Also the huge problem you run into in the PNW is that you're probably going to wet out the jacket from the inside. All waterproof breathable membranes work on differential pressure between drier outside the jacket air and the wetter inside the jacket air. You don't get the outside the jacket drier air in the PNW.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
Try a Paramo jacket.
So what is so special about PNW weather? I'm in Wales so I know what wet weather is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022466
Mobile Version of Website