Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
My Chilean distributor recently brought in Terrene Tires and he's really liking them. Quality comparable to Maxxis and the compounds are great.

Do you know which factory Terrene is using? They may be very "comparable" to Maxxis!

parkourfan, Thanks for sharing your experiences with Vee and Maxxis. I also have a 2.6" Flow Snap queued up; haven't used it yet. It's heavier than expected, but does appear to be more robust. Narrower than other brands' 2.6", unfortunately.

I do not, but I also clowned myself as it's actually Teravail that he brought in, not Terrene!

Teravail is a QBP house brand. Their compounds remind me a lot of WTB so whoever makes WTB is probably making Teravail.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
Axxe wrote:
I like Maxxis tires but claiming that the like of Schwalbe are just ripping them off is a gross exaggeration.

It is all in the casing quality and compound anyway.
Go ahead and quote where I made that claim.

Mod
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
We've sold a ton of Teravail tires at the shop and they have been damn good. Honcho sells like mad and they just released a new one I am brainfarting on.
they have fairly light tires too.

I wore through my Schwalbe tires in less than 200 miles, so that's a hard no from me dawg - 4ever.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
seraph wrote:
The only tire company that will make me stray from Maxxis is Teravail. I love their gravel tires, and a lot of their MTB lineup look like modified Maxxis treads.
Which tire are you running for gravel? I was looking at their Washburn and thinking about trying it.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Man the Terrene website sucks balls. No categories, no way to filter things.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
I 'trust' Maxxis tyres, I just 'run' other brands occasionally ..

Not got the time or money to find out if a certain brand is better than what I currently run

Risk vs reward

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
In my personal experience DHF are m'eh and Hr2 are verging on dangerous, I'm really looking forward to trying out the new Nobby Nic's.

Mod
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Man the Terrene website sucks balls. No categories, no way to filter things.
when you got like 6 skus you don't need to be flashy.

But agreed, I didn't know what things were and had to click on each

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Axxe wrote:
I like Maxxis tires but claiming that the like of Schwalbe are just ripping them off is a gross exaggeration.

It is all in the casing quality and compound anyway.
Go ahead and quote where I made that claim.

You implied it transparently. There are not that many popular tire manufacturers so claiming that "staggering" amount of them are just copies of successful Maxxis tires at the very least requires some clarification.

The "like" of Schwalbe, Continental, Specialized, or WTB don't just copy Maxxis.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
The only tire company that will make me stray from Maxxis is Teravail. I love their gravel tires, and a lot of their MTB lineup look like modified Maxxis treads.
Which tire are you running for gravel? I was looking at their Washburn and thinking about trying it.

I have been loving the Teravail Cannonball. Our off road here is pretty much hardpack so it's a great fit. I have also run the Rutland 700x38 off road and it was loads of fun in the looser stuff. Not very fast on the road though.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
It's not that I don't think Maxxis makes a good tire, it's more that I have a hard time spending $80 for a tire that only last a year, if that.

Again, another benefit to rockin two wheelsets. Makes tires last longer, and you don't get disappointed when your $160 tire combo is incredibly draggy on that mostly flat 40 mile ride with buddies on XC bikes, or the XC tires you just spent $160 are are getting cut the minute you look at a few rocks on the big mountain.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
Axxe wrote:
You implied it transparently. There are not that many popular tire manufacturers so claiming that "staggering" amount of them are just copies of successful Maxxis tires at the very least requires some clarification.

The "like" of Schwalbe, Continental, Specialized, or WTB don't just copy Maxxis.
I said a staggering amount of tires, not manufacturers and nowhere did I say that anyone "just" copies Maxxis... the fact is, a staggering number of tires are just some other manufacturer doing their take on a popular Maxxis design, even if that manufacturer has other tires that are original designs. You mention Specialized, that's a great example since the Butcher is basically just Specialized's take on a DHR. Pick a Maxxis tire and you can find three to five other tires on the market that are just mildly adjusted clones.

Doesn't mean other tires aren't good but that's what happens when you're the best for a long period of time, people start copying the things you do that people like. In just about every case where someone rides a different brand, they're looking for something aside from Maxxis just to try something other than Maxxis, not because Maxxis somehow made them hate a tire.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
seraph wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:

I have been loving the Teravail Cannonball. Our off road here is pretty much hardpack so it's a great fit. I have also run the Rutland 700x38 off road and it was loads of fun in the looser stuff. Not very fast on the road though.
I'll have to check 'em out... I was gonna pick up a set of Challenge Gravel Grinders but then saw the Washburns and I've been trying to decide which to go with.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
PHeller wrote:
It's not that I don't think Maxxis makes a good tire, it's more that I have a hard time spending $80 for a tire that only last a year, if that.

Again, another benefit to rockin two wheelsets. Makes tires last longer, and you don't get disappointed when your $160 tire combo is incredibly draggy on that mostly flat 40 mile ride with buddies on XC bikes, or the XC tires you just spent $160 are are getting cut the minute you look at a few rocks on the big mountain.

So, I bought a bidet a few years ago. Just a cheap one, figure out if I liked it. Long story short, it's awesome. So I said f*ck it, bought a Japanese Toto. It was $$$. Heated seat, dryer, two user settings, and it shoots warm to hot water up your hooha in oscillating, pulsing, or normal patterns. You pick. It's the god damn Fox Factory X2 of bidet toppers. It's amazing.

I was sitting on this thing the other day, enjoying my slightly warm toilet seat when I had this realization - I sit on this thrown at minimum 3x times a day. So does the boy. Between us, that's 6 uses a day, 365 days a year. We sit on this thing over 2,000 times a year.

Divided between all those uses, this toilet seat of the Gods costs less than a penny per use. And it's a glorious experience.

Wrapping this back to tires - I will pay my $80 a tire happily for earth shatteringly good traction or speed or whatever I am prioritizing on my bike because I LOVE riding my bike. It makes me happy. When I divide the amount of time and miles I get out of a tire by the cost, it's really not that much.

And yes, I do pay retail for tires and I still don't care. Rubber matters. That's not a place I'm going to cheap out.

Insert mandatory #thatswhatshesaid

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
That was hands down the most convincing sales pitch for a bidet I've ever seen.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042161
Mobile Version of Website