Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Ergon grips are long lasting great grips in my experience. Just like their saddles! Oil slick is the only color to buy tho obivi

CNC pulleys are loud af when climbing. I couldnt buy one of those clamshell frame contraptions.

Here's the Banshee nearly finihed. Zeb is taking decades to arrive.140mm Z1 on for now off the hardtail.
Should be weighing in right around 28lbs

exactly how i plan on building mine up. i’d be amazed if all in this was under 31 lbs

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:54 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Ergon grips are long lasting great grips in my experience. Just like their saddles! Oil slick is the only color to buy tho obivi

CNC pulleys are loud af when climbing. I couldnt buy one of those clamshell frame contraptions.

Here's the Banshee nearly finihed. Zeb is taking decades to arrive.140mm Z1 on for now off the hardtail.
Should be weighing in right around 28lbs

My carbon Ripmo with carbon wheels and X01 AXS drivetrain and Exo + tires is 30 lbs. There’s no way an aluminum bike with a heavier fork is going to weigh less.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:56 Quote
Double post. Do Next SL cranks belong on a bike with a Zeb fork? I have had Next cranks on an XC and Trail bike.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
Excuse me but they are next r. The r stands for rally and it's they rally well thus far.

I'll rent a mechanical scale this week hopefully if they're not reserved already at rent a center..

I'm thinking it might weigh more than 28lb

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:31 Quote
Ive had next sl cranks on my slayer since they were released.

Around 7000 miles with a moderate amount of hucking. Not many over 10ft drops. 180-185lbs geared up. They would be toast if i didnt have the rubber boots. Ive gone through 2 sets of those.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Excuse me but they are next r. The r stands for rally and it's they rally well thus far.

I'll rent a mechanical scale this week hopefully if they're not reserved already at rent a center..

Ha, my bad. Wasn’t the old joke that R stood for replacement? They had a bad run with pedal inserts ripping out. Sounds like the new ones are dialed.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
nubbs wrote:

My Tallboy 4 with 120r 140f travel, 1500g wheels, E.13 TRSr cranks, Guide Ultimates, and fairly light 2.6 Rekon tires weighs 27 lbs. I would be surprised if your bike weighed under 31 lbs.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
seraph wrote:
nubbs wrote:

My Tallboy 4 with 120r 140f travel, 1500g wheels, E.13 TRSr cranks, Guide Ultimates, and fairly light 2.6 Rekon tires weighs 27 lbs. I would be surprised if your bike weighed under 31 lbs.

Damn. The TB4 is not a light frame.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 2:27 Quote
Circe wrote:
seraph wrote:
nubbs wrote:

Damn. The TB4 is not a light frame.

the whole santa cruz fleet from tb to mt is around the same weight (?)

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
There are probably a lot of common elements between the models. Good way to keep costs down for metal frames; poor way to optimize weight according to intended use.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
There are probably a lot of common elements between the models. Good way to keep costs down for metal frames; poor way to optimize weight according to intended use.

iirc the weights for cc frame are something like
tb4 2700
ht2 3k
mt 3k

for a medium frame w/o shock.

I don't think it is down to just cost efficiency, but also because people these days expect short travel trail bikes to put up with all sorts of abuse.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
I seriously wonder why I ride a 31lbs 130mm bike when I could ride a 31lbs 160mm bike. Then I realize Ive got two wheelsets that need rebuilt, I still ride a 34, and Ive got a deck build, skylights and bathroom remodel to get done.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
But yea, I’ll eat my shirt if that Banshee weighs less than 31.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
I don't think it is down to just cost efficiency, but also because people these days expect short travel trail bikes to put up with all sorts of abuse.
^^ This

My 5010 weighs as much as my old Nomad but it feels stiffer and capable of as much, if not more, abuse as the Nomad could take. Seems like they've just decided to err on the side of durability, collectively across their range which I'm fine with. It'd be one thing if we were talking about 35-40lb bikes but choosing between a 27-28lb bike I'm gonna worry about riding hard or a 30-31lb bike that I'm not gonna sweat hammering on, I'll take the extra couple pounds.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
I stopped weighing my bikes. Figured my bikes are going to be as light as I can get them to stand up to my abuse/mis-use. I run my Ripmo fully loaded with EDC, tube, multiple CO2's and a pump, because there's nothing worse than having to walk out of a trail or be that guy that has to bum tools off others.

I built up a full XC rig this year as I figured I could then go a bit heavier on my Ripmo with a proper build (ie Assegai tires instead of Nobby Nic's, SLX instead of XTR).

I should probably be voted off the island for refusal of paying the weight game.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020986
Mobile Version of Website