Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
With a yoke you are tripling the length from the last bush in the shock to the link of the bike meaning much higher bending forces on the whole shock. Spherical bearings wouldn’t make a difference for that specific force?

Not necessarily. A pivot on the vertical axis eliminates some bending loads and spherical bearings would fully eliminate off-axis loads.

Keep in mind that a yoke can also flex. A long yoke with little bending stiffness may transmit less load to the shock than you think.

bikerboywill wrote:
Although I do think all frames should uses them at one end of the shock to stop twisting forces

Sure, it's good to reduce the off-axis forces on a shock, but rear suspension works pretty well. Telescoping forks experience orders of magnitude more friction under severe bending moments; that's where the real return on investment is still available.

SileTzar wrote:
1. Yes. You could put an angleset in an old Stumpjumper and it wouldn't be a new bike. Oversimplification of course.
2. Not my concern, as it's not as if we're experiencing massive cost reduction on account of Specialized R&D reusing an existing design
3. Most would say 50/50 but they'd lie, I say 70/30, otherwise we'd see more Polygons or Ellsworths or Oranges with Trust forks.

Thank you for the reply.

1. A new head angle on an old bike could be equivalent to a new bike with the same geometry, kinematics, and flex profile. The Stumpjumper EVO has been updated in geometry, kinematics, adjustment features, storage, and, presumably, flex profile. What other features or properties were you hoping for that would be possible from a different configuration?

2. We've had a miscommunication. I agree the re-use of existing R&D is not necessarily valuable to the consumer from a financial standpoint. I was referring to a “better the devil you know than the one you don’t” situation: an existing design can be expected to have had the stress concentrations smoothed out and manufacturing challenges resolved, while a new design runs the risk of unexpected failures. For example, my understanding is the new Enduro is experiencing a high rate of failures at one location in the main triangle, a problem with noise from one pivot, and the carbon versions of the shock links were unreliable.

I’m sure these issues will be resolved, but even so, the additional links add hardware and don't do much that couldn’t have been accomplished with a simpler configuration.

3. Even ignoring the “unorthodox appearances”, there are several reasons why we don’t see more Polygons (R3act 2Play configuration), Ellsworths, Oranges, and Trusts! Every one of these uses kinematics that differ from more popular designs and only Orange uses up-to-date geometry.

Everyone has a different ratio of fashion to function. I’m a proponent of front linkages, so you can see which end of the spectrum I inhabit.

Even if we assume most riders more into looks than personality, is that reason to change the configuration of a bike that may already look good? I think the issue is equating “new” with “better”. Although it may not be as exciting for some people, my opinion is that every bike should look like a Session or a Banshee v3 and the differences can come from geometry, kinematics, flex, dampers / electronics, and weight - until front linkages take over, obviously. Wink

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
I like big boobs.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
I'm more of an Assegai

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
They are going to sell so many of those bikes. I can tell you that right now. It looks pretty damn impressive. I won't be getting one but I can see why many will.

The old one sold well and was a complete pile. This bike looks the part and the pricing is good. Couple that with a bike boom and I bet they’re sold out till next year.

I'll beat you.. The base level black bikes are already sold out from pre-orders...unless there is a shipment enroute that our dealer site isn't showing.

Specialized B2B is so awful these days. They don't show new bikes in stock until they've literally landed in your store.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 21:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

The old one sold well and was a complete pile. This bike looks the part and the pricing is good. Couple that with a bike boom and I bet they’re sold out till next year.

I'll beat you.. The base level black bikes are already sold out from pre-orders...unless there is a shipment enroute that our dealer site isn't showing.

Specialized B2B is so awful these days. They don't show new bikes in stock until they've literally landed in your store.

I know that too.. Which makes it hard to plan.. I have my Levo and my SJ EVO tentatively sold.. But I dont want to fully commit to both sales until I know I have either a Levo SL or a new SJ EVO ready to go..

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
I just committed to an Enduro. Probably winning the weight game once all the parts from my Sentinel have been swapped over.

Thought about the SJ EVO but the Enduro won out for its looks.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
But you could of had 69 different ways to set up your bike wrong and had a free water bladder!!! Noob!! lol

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

He he

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
31.5lbs as pictured minus pump and bottle. Why tf my bike so heavy.

XT/XTR drivetrain, XT brakes, Hydra/WR1 wheels, EXO tires, Deity/OneUp cockpit. I wasn't picking this stuff on the basis of individual component weight, but I definitely did not think this would be my total. Are Evil frames just chunky bois? Is it my excessively long cables?

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
Does anyone else find that whenever they strap a tube to their frame it wears holes in the tube? I've had it happen twice now and so I've stopped doing it.

I was using one of the RaceFace stash wraps.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Yes, because the tube is exposed. If it is in a bag of sorts, then it should not wear.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Does anyone else find that whenever they strap a tube to their frame it wears holes in the tube? I've had it happen twice now and so I've stopped doing it.

I was using one of the RaceFace stash wraps.

I think you need a tighter strap system. I have the Occam Designs Boa strap thingy and it has yet to wear a hole in my tube.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
crs-one wrote:
31.5lbs as pictured minus pump and bottle. Why tf my bike so heavy.

XT/XTR drivetrain, XT brakes, Hydra/WR1 wheels, EXO tires, Deity/OneUp cockpit. I wasn't picking this stuff on the basis of individual component weight, but I definitely did not think this would be my total. Are Evil frames just chunky bois? Is it my excessively long cables?
The tires sure aren't super light. Plus, not a super light fork, right?

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
Modern frames are pretty chunky across the board. Them wheels arent light either, just very respectable.

Really not sure how you ended up a pound over my 5010 admittedly.

Ps, f*ckin love it.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
I mean, I'm right at 30lbs with mid tier level parts. I have heavyish bars, but a light stem, and really heaviest item has to be the post.

Other than that, I don't think your build is heavy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035628
Mobile Version of Website