Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:
E-bikes are for old folk or smokers

Same with suspension, disc brakes, etc. Us young, fit, healthy people are supposed to be riding fully rigid with 1.8 inch tires.

For you, I would say get an electric dirt bike with autopilot ; )

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

Same with suspension, disc brakes, etc. Us young, fit, healthy people are supposed to be riding fully rigid with 1.8 inch tires.

photo

Ha, that reminds me of this.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:25 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

lol

The newest MTB I own is a 2012. My primary ride is a large 2012 slayer and secondary/ride for friends is a medium 2012 slayer. All 26, no carbon wheels.

Just because Im still riding "outdated" bikes doesn't mean my opinion on modern tech will be negative.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

lol

The newest MTB I own is a 2012. My primary ride is a large 2012 slayer and secondary/ride for friends is a medium 2012 slayer. All 26, no carbon wheels.

Just because Im still riding "outdated" bikes doesn't mean my opinion on modern tech will be negative.

I think E-bikes for old folk and smokers is a great thing

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

lol

I think E-bikes for old folk and smokers is a great thing

And I think E-bikes for literally anyone is a great thing. Right now I'm averaging around 80-130 miles per week and it requires a lot of dedication and consistency in terms of diet, sleep, etc.

There are plenty of E-bikes out there right now which would enable me to ride further and sacrifice way less. When I look at it like that I don't see how anyone could disparage the concept.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
why is the mileage so important? just don't ride as far if it's an issue, don't need E-bike. Or get a mid-travel 29er

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:50 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
why is the mileage so important? just don't ride as far if it's an issue, don't need E-bike. Or get a mid-travel 29er

If someone else wants more mileage, who cares? It's not important after all.

You're literally asking a hobby group why they like their hobby. Why don't you sell your bike and take up hiking? Because you enjoy riding. It's literally as simple as that. They enjoy ebikes and they enjoy going further.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
B650wagon wrote:

It isn't, I just prefer riding directly from my house as much as possible. Some of the better trail systems are 10-15 miles just to get to the entrance.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Yep, unfortunately I think a lot of the *saltiness* or whatever regarding e-bikes is simply due to the fact that they are indeed another expensive item that isn't necessary at all.

BUT, I am quite confident that over 95% of mountain bikers would own an Ebike if $$$$ wasn't part of the equation.

Mountain biking is hard and it hurts. Your legs hurt, your lungs hurt, your brain is starved of oxygen ... all for a tiny taste of endorphins and a couple minutes of adrenaline. The hierarchy is clear: you can tell who rides more, pushes harder, and suffers more by seeing who's faster and who goes farther. You can see who earned it - who deserves it.

E-bikes change everything. Enjoy the fun without the pain. Novices can access alpine terrain and long descents that were once the exclusive domain of those who earned it. Casual riders can ascend formerly badge-of-honour climbs in Nike Free gym shoes with their saddles four inches too low. Weekend warriors can do four laps of your favourite descent while you're lucky if you can manage two. It's not fair. They don't deserve it.

Sure, it sounds great, but not now, not while the body still can ride a proper bike. Getting in on the fun means you have to admit defeat and stoop to their level - to become one of them. Instead of admitting it's stubborness, though, it's easier to do it in the name of moral superiority, honesty, and purity. Stay true to ourselves. Stay true to the sport.

It's not about the money.

Sarcasm aside, I do see some problems with e-bikes, but nothing that can't be resolved with limitations on equipment and popular trails becoming one-way.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
Yep, unfortunately I think a lot of the *saltiness* or whatever regarding e-bikes is simply due to the fact that they are indeed another expensive item that isn't necessary at all.

BUT, I am quite confident that over 95% of mountain bikers would own an Ebike if $$$$ wasn't part of the equation.

Mountain biking is hard and it hurts. Your legs hurt, your lungs hurt, your brain is starved of oxygen ... all for a tiny taste of endorphins and a couple minutes of adrenaline. The hierarchy is clear: you can tell who rides more, pushes harder, and suffers more by seeing who's faster and who goes farther. You can see who earned it - who deserves it.

E-bikes change everything. Enjoy the fun without the pain. Novices can access alpine terrain and long descents that were once the exclusive domain of those who earned it. Weekend warriors can ascend formerly badge-of-honour climbs in Nike Free gym shoes with their saddles four inches too low. Weekend warriors can do four laps of your favourite descent while you're lucky if you can manage two. It's not fair. They don't deserve it.

Sure, it sounds great, but not now, not while the body still can ride a proper bike. Getting in on the fun means you have to admit defeat and stoop to their level - to become one of them. Instead of admitting it's stubborness, though, it's easier to do it in the name of moral superiority, honesty, and purity. Stay true to ourselves. Stay true to the sport.

It's not about the money.

Sarcasm aside, I do see some problems with e-bikes, but nothing that can't be resolved with limitations on equipment and popular trails becoming one-way.

What part of that was sarcasm? I think you hit the nail on the head. I enjoyed that, lol!

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
B650wagon wrote:

It isn't, I just prefer riding directly from my house as much as possible. Some of the better trail systems are 10-15 miles just to get to the entrance.

That makes sense, way better than driving

Mod
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
Gear question

Looking at new winter/fall pants. As someone who rides Lycra 100% of the time, what’s the lightest/least restrictive pant for someone with a dad bod and a massive ....quads?

Cheers

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:40 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Gear question

Looking at new winter/fall pants. As someone who rides Lycra 100% of the time, what’s the lightest/least restrictive pant for someone with a dad bod and a massive ....quads?

Cheers
Castelli Sorpaso tights? Or Tutto Nanos... depending on temperature expectations?

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Gear question

Cheers

Cut off jean shorts.

I like Dakine thrillum pants the most. fit is pretty dad-ish.

Pearil izumi pants maybe?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
Made a dumb and bought a Truvativ Descendant stem because it looks good, and inexpensive. Weighs 20g less than my current stem, so that's my excuse to have it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.065735
Mobile Version of Website